Irish Blackthorn Shillelagh by Cold Steel

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's the shillelagh on my wish list, since it's not only stronger than wood but cheaper than most true blackthorns as well. most authentic shillelaghs on ebay are hovering around the $90 mark.

jf

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
nothing beats the real thing mate, where i grew up in ireland blackthorn grew quite prolificly my cousin would cut blackthorn staves to sell to tourists and kept the best ones for our family, my uncle had a nice selection of sticks around thirty if i remember correcty.
im sorry but using a plastic blackthorn just seems wrong to me, just my opinion though.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people like 'em. Others say it's too heavy and doesn't handle quite right.

It's largely a personal thing. I have a stick that everyone hates, except for me.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never handled one but it looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info. I learned about something new today!

RaisingCane

White Belt
Reaction score
I have one. Props to Cold Steel for make such a thing. However, although I don't care at all whether something is "real" or "fake" (and polypropylene is, in fact "real"), my opinion is that this stick is WAY to big and heavy--about twice the weight of my "real" blackthorns. And the light weight of the average shillelagh was, the research indicates, integral to the technique! But Cold Steel always seems to make their sticks macho past practicality and into the serious legal-liability category.

The big exception is the Cold Steel MICARTA City Stick. Now that is a subtle looking, blackthorn-weighted, amazingly indestructible walking stick. Above all others, THAT is the Cold Steel stick I would highly recommend.

Latest Discussions