Ip man's different teachings...

dan_chi_sau

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Enjoying learning wing chun in Hong Kong at the moment having travelled from England and I have settled on the Leung Sheung (early) lineage due to finding a great teacher, but it got me thinking...

What did Ip man change about wing chun from the early 50's through to the late 60's / early 70's? Did he add stuff? Did he make it better or worse, in your opinion?

Really look forward to hearing back from you guys.

Kind wishes.
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20170113_225049498_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170113_225049498_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    878.2 KB · Views: 178

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What did Ip man change about wing chun from the early 50's through to the late 60's / early 70's? Did he add stuff? Did he make it better or worse, in your opinion?

TBH, I don't think we will ever know for certain. Truth is an elusive thing. But, if I were to speculate, I'd say he did more deleting vs adding. Again, just an opinion. Thx.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
- Leung Sheung line pivots on the balls of the feet or middle of the foot rather than the heels
- Places more emphasis on sinking into the stance
- Dummy form has 10 sections instead of 7 and more of the sections are mirrored
- The forms begin with a kwun roll rather than crossing the arms down and then up
- Arrow punches are taught earlier rather than later
- Siu Nim Tau uses a jum sau instead of a gan sau
- Chum Kiu ending section uses a crescent kick
- A couple sections of the Biu Jee form are in a different order
- Leung Sheung line has the feeding hands drill
- Leung Sheung line is a bit more soft and springy

Reactions: KPM
OP
D

dan_chi_sau

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, fascinating.

All of those absolutely true from what I've seen in my 2 months here, except my teacher does allow me to turn on my heels.

How do you know so much about the Leung Sheung lineage? In terms of quality how do you think it compares to other lineages eg. Ip Chun / Moy Yat / Leung Ting?

Many many thanks

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Leung Ting's Si-Fu was Leung Sheung,
so there are a lot of similarities between the 2 families.
LT began training with YM in the late 60s from what I remember.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me thinks most of us get caught up more in the minutia rather than the greater picture. Understand the principles, the structures, and the positions. Work to apply the principles within movement and then just do whatever you must as needed.
Every instructor will change things based on:
What works best for a student.
What the instructor is attempting to convey at a particular moment in training.
What the instructors perspectives are.
These may change during ones journey in life.
How one applies one's wc will probably be somewhat different than one's instructor and other students.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys, fascinating.

All of those absolutely true from what I've seen in my 2 months here, except my teacher does allow me to turn on my heels.

How do you know so much about the Leung Sheung lineage? In terms of quality how do you think it compares to other lineages eg. Ip Chun / Moy Yat / Leung Ting?

Many many thanks

Been practicing for 4 or 5 years. I don't think the LS line is inherently better than other lines so much as I think that a lot of the lines that came after tend to get lazy. I attribute this to the fact that LS worked the hell out of his students and stayed pretty low key on purpose.

As far as LT similarities go the pivoting and softness is about where it ends IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

Latest Discussions