Introduction/ Question

J

Jason Davis

Hi, I've been on the forum for about a week now and I think it is the best forum on the net. I was viewing some of the old threads and saw where people introduced themselves and thought mabey i should.

I am 21 so still very young in the martial arts world. I have been training martial arts for many years.

I live in the suburbs and here there aren’t any good martial arts studios. Before people say “how do you know?” I’ve gone to all of them and checked them out. They are all very profit driven and belt based. This was very unfortunate since I have always had a strong interest in martial arts.

However, I have been very fortunate to meet 2 very qualified teachers. One of them has studied the Shaolin 5 animal system for many years (15 or so). The other one was a bouncer for 15 years and has studied Xing Yi, Small Circle Ju-Jitsu, Escrima, Baji, and Chen style Tai chi for over 20 years all together.

Both of my instructors have a great deal of skill and are very qualified to teach. However, Neither of them knows a whole lot about their lineages. They mainly just know about their teachers and their technique.

I have studied with both of my teachers for quite some time now and I am very happy with the results I have gotten from training with them. One of the Reasons that I believe I have had very good results in such a short period of time is I am basically both of my teachers only student. Every time I go to train I am the only one getting any instruction and they are basically just training me to have some one to practice their arts with (and I practice with each of them about two or three times a week). I am very pleased with this arrangement.

Neither of my teachers own a studio and neither of them have set class times for me it’s done on a availability basis. Most of my classes are either at one of their houses or at the park. Neither of them charge me either, They are just teaching me so I can teach someone else one day; so basically I get private classes 4 or 5 days a week for 2 or 3 hours for free as long as I practice and I am dedicated to the arts.

My question is: Would you rather have an arrangement like this or train in a studio where you won’t get as much individual attention but the classes are more regulated?

Or: what is your opinion on my arrangement with my teachers?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think everyoen would like to have an arrangement like that, count your blessings and train hard.

There are some benefits to having a studio and fellow students however.

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow I've always wanted to find a teacher to train with on a one to one basis!
Welcome to the forum Jason by the way! So how long have you been training with these two people. I think one on one has to be the best way of learning because your teacher can watch you closely, you learn more in a shorter space of time and you will work harder. Although I know that if I really needed it my instructor would give us private tuition when he could.
With class practice you can spar with different people and learn from each other.
I remember when I was about 14 prior to that I had always wanted to learn Martial Arts, specifically Kung Fu, but I was too shy and couldn't find anywhere to train. Luckily for me my sister's friend was a brown belt in Lau Gar Kung fu and showed me some basic kicks and punches, along with some stretches that got me pretty flexible in no time. But it wasn't until I was 21 I actually manged to find a Kung Fu class to go to which I have enjoyed ever since! I'm 26 now so I've been learning for well over 5 years.
So where did you find these teachers to train with? and I take it you are not graded, how advanced are your skills now in what you are learning?

OP
J

Jason Davis

Tony said:
Wow I've always wanted to find a teacher to train with on a one to one basis!
Welcome to the forum Jason by the way! So how long have you been training with these two people. I think one on one has to be the best way of learning because your teacher can watch you closely, you learn more in a shorter space of time and you will work harder. Although I know that if I really needed it my instructor would give us private tuition when he could.
With class practice you can spar with different people and learn from each other.
I remember when I was about 14 prior to that I had always wanted to learn Martial Arts, specifically Kung Fu, but I was too shy and couldn't find anywhere to train. Luckily for me my sister's friend was a brown belt in Lau Gar Kung fu and showed me some basic kicks and punches, along with some stretches that got me pretty flexible in no time. But it wasn't until I was 21 I actually manged to find a Kung Fu class to go to which I have enjoyed ever since! I'm 26 now so I've been learning for well over 5 years.
So where did you find these teachers to train with? and I take it you are not graded, how advanced are your skills now in what you are learning?
well, i've been training with my shaolin teacher for somewhere around 2 years i met him in a book store while i was looking at some books on martial arts he just came up and started talking to me and asked me if i knew any gung fu. i told him no but i wish i did and then he said "well, i teach it." I was very interrested and i had my first class in a book store. he showed me some inch power drills and some simple sparring drills and then gave me his phone number. then as he was walking off he turned around and said " oh yea i don't run a studio so classes will be at my house...... and free." he then explained that it would be the hardest thing i had ever done and it would take alot of time and effort. The first day i stood in horse stance and did leg excercises for almost the whole time(this went on for about a month). he didn't teach me any form or anything until i could sit in a full horse stance for over 5 min. we have trained in Thunderstorms, snow, and blistering hot.

He's tought me alot about boxing and even more about power generation and body mechanics. I have learned a few forms as well (Dragon, Tiger, and crane i still have snake and leopard) he teaches 1 weapon with every form as well and every form he teaches is a fighting form and not wushu. So it is all very practical.

My second teacher I met one day while i was in the park practicing by my self. He just sat their and watched. This went on about 3 or 4 times and after he saw me practicing so much he came up and started talking to me about martial arts. At first i thought he was a weirdo but after a few more times he asked me if i would like to train with him and with out any questions i just said yes. He gave me his phone number and i called him we met and he tought me all kinds of stuff about inch power, the theory of 12 bos, principles of escrima, fulcrum activation and all sorts of other stuff. He showed me many exercises and practicle drills to do and how and why they worked.

I enjoy training with both of my teachers very much and i am very greatful for the opportunity that i have been given. I train very hard and i am very pleased with the results.

as for sparring, i get to spar with people all of the time because my shaolin teacher has 2 other students as well and sometimes we happen to run into each other when he is teaching us. So on those days we spar. We spar full contact with no pads. No pads teaches to how to block alot faster and more effectively. it also teaches you how to take a punch.

As for My skil level, I have no idea. Other martial artist are always supprised when i tell them i've only been seriously training for 2 years. I guess thats what happens when you train 1 on 1 with a qualified teacher 4 or 5 times a week for 2 to 3 hours. But as far as my skill level goes........ I seriously have no idea mabey not skilled at all mabey very skilled i don't know. I'm probobly as skilled as i could possibly be after 2 years of very serious training. So however skilled that is.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Jason,

I have to agree. You are very lucky. :)
I have a feeling you are skilled enough..... :asian:
Just remember how you have been treated and pass it on accordingly.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jason,

Welome to Martial Talk. I was fortunate enough to have been a personal student several times in my career, in Kenpo, and an esoteric 5 animal Kung-Fu system called Lung Chi Kwan.

It is a lot easier to learn ... and a lot harder. I understand how difficult it is to "measure" your ability, and if you don't feel a need to, don't. Be happy with what you have, and realize that your own satisfaction and development in the Arts are what the most important and salient things are.

Glad you like the martial community we have tried to foster here and we are glad for your participation and contributions.

-Michael Billings
--MT Moderator--

OP
B

Black Bear

Jason, that's the best kind of training there is.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
You seemed to have been very lucky Jason! being in the right place at the right time surely helped. And both teachers teach you for free.
I think having close personal tuition, one on one , you are bound to have great skill by now, because both teachers can watch you closes and correct any mistakes. Have these guys actually had their own classes? Why is it they teach only you and a small group of people?
I always go to the Martial arts section of bookshops and I can't seem to find a Master there. There are other people reading Martial Arts books but I guess in this country people are less open.
It sounds to me like your training is no different from a traditional class practice. However I don't see how you would be able to enter competitions. Do you do much sparring to test your techniques?
I hope you continue to enjoy your training!

Tony

OP
J

Jason Davis

Tony said:
You seemed to have been very lucky Jason! being in the right place at the right time surely helped. And both teachers teach you for free.
I think having close personal tuition, one on one , you are bound to have great skill by now, because both teachers can watch you closes and correct any mistakes. Have these guys actually had their own classes? Why is it they teach only you and a small group of people?
I always go to the Martial arts section of bookshops and I can't seem to find a Master there. There are other people reading Martial Arts books but I guess in this country people are less open.
It sounds to me like your training is no different from a traditional class practice. However I don't see how you would be able to enter competitions. Do you do much sparring to test your techniques?
I hope you continue to enjoy your training!

Tony
One of my teachers was tought the same way that he is teaching me. He said that as soon as he starts charging me for lessons that I would become his boss and thats not the best way for someone to learn. He also owns his own business that isn't related to martial arts so he wouldn't have time to deal with the bills and stuff for a studio.

The other one has had his own studio. It was up north. He and his wife got a divorce and he moved south. now he also owns his own business and doesn't have the time to run a school.

They both just want to pass what they have learned on to new people.

As far as entering competitions... I don't know if i can or not. I don't know if i would want to either because we don't spar with gloves or pads on so the change is very challenging (we practiced with a church this winter and when we sparred them we had to wear pads and it made it very difficult). so i don't know if i could or not.

and yes i do alot of sparring. I spar with both of my teachers, and one of my teachers has 2 other students that I run into every once in a while and we spar.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
It sounds like you're getting all the benefits out of learning Martial Arts this way. I don't think I would be interested in competing either. Martial Arts is more than just fighting and winning pieces of metal to put on your mantlepiece!
Its not everyday we run into genuine people who teach Martial Arts for free and to teach it for the sake of passing on knowledge rather than breeding competition fighters.

Latest Discussions