Introduction of Master Ni from Shanghai

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Can you show us how you and your students do a soft push, soft pull, soft swing knock outs like in the the first video?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I love that he’s smoking in the video. And it does look like some of Kung Fu wangs vids.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you teach 100% "sport", you may not emphasize enough on some principles that are important in "combat". To protect your training partner in wrestling is the opposite of to hurt your opponent in fighting.

I though "Shou Bo" is like Sanda that kick/punch are allowed. In Taiwan, since Chinese wrestling is taught in the police university, it is not treated as "sport". For example, a "Bie - leg break" is trained when your opponent punches at your head.

Many good points have been explained in this clip.

1, Your training partner can help you to stretch.
2. The forward flip is mainly used to flip yourself on top of your opponent so your body weight won't smash on top of him for safe training.
3. The moment that you obtained your 1st grip, you should move in, obtain your 2nd grip on the way in, and apply your move ASAP. Don't wait for your opponent hands to get hold on you. This is the "fast hand wrestling" strategy.

Some suggestions here:

1. At 4.10, even if you know that your opponent's left hand cannot punch you, you should still use your right arm to deflect his left arm when you enter with a shoulder throw. This may be OK for a "sport", but it may develop a bad habit in "combat". It's better to "always assume that your opponent's free arm can punch you".
2. In "combat", you want to smash your opponent as hard as you can. This is the opposite of the "sport". That kind of training should also be included.

Last edited:
OP
Master Ni

Master Ni

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for all the post, sure it start with Shuaijiao. Students are learning to train at correct technique under pressure. There are older students who learn the soft push with master ni, I will upload some to share.
Master Ni lineage is from XingYi, he was trained in this way, so he use the same training methods.

OP
Master Ni

Master Ni

White Belt
Reaction score
If you teach 100% "sport", you may not emphasize enough on some principles that are important in "combat". To protect your training partner in wrestling is the opposite of to hurt your opponent in fighting.

I though "Shou Bo" is like Sanda that kick/punch are allowed. In Taiwan, since Chinese wrestling is taught in the police university, it is not treated as "sport". For example, a "Bie - leg break" is trained when your opponent punches at your head.

Many good points have been explained in this clip.

1, Your training partner can help you to stretch.
2. The forward flip is mainly used to flip yourself on top of your opponent so your body weight won't smash on top of him for safe training.
3. The moment that you obtained your 1st grip, you should move in, obtain your 2nd grip on the way in, and apply your move ASAP. Don't wait for your opponent hands to get hold on you. This is the "fast hand wrestling" strategy.

Some suggestions here:

1. At 4.10, even if you know that your opponent's left hand cannot punch you, you should still use your right arm to deflect his left arm when you enter with a shoulder throw. This may be OK for a "sport", but it may develop a bad habit in "combat". It's better to "always assume that your opponent's free arm can punch you".
2. In "combat", you want to smash your opponent as hard as you can. This is the opposite of the "sport". That kind of training should also be included.
thanks for the comment, good points.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the post, sure it start with Shuaijiao. Students are learning to train at correct technique under pressure. There are older students who learn the soft push with master ni, I will upload some to share.
Master Ni lineage is from XingYi, he was trained in this way, so he use the same training methods.
I'm not sure if it is an issue with language...are you Master Ni? Some of your posts make it sound like you are, and others make it sound like you're not.

If you're not, is he aware that you are using his name and picture on a forum?

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is an issue with language...are you Master Ni? Some of your posts make it sound like you are, and others make it sound like you're not.

If you're not, is he aware that you are using his name and picture on a forum?

I think the op had taught with several masters in different lineages, so his martial art has several styles combined.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the op had taught with several masters in different lineages, so his martial art has several styles combined.
I'm not asking about his martial arts style, I am asking if he, personally is Master Ni. He's made several posts implying that, but also has posts stating things like "Master Ni lineage is from XingYi, he was trained in this way, so he use the same training methods", which pretty directly suggests (Barring language issues), that the poster is not Master Ni.

Since he's both made posts suggesting he is Master Ni, and is using Master Ni's picture and name, I was asking for clarification if Master Ni is aware he is doing so, or if he is Master Ni, and it's just grammar issues since English is not his first language.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's a very aggressive assumption to make, without any real evidence for it. It's why I'm asking him the question, rather than just assuming things myself.
His name is Man Man and he is "acting as a window for Master Ni." as a contact.

Read the thread dude :p

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
His name is Man Man and he is "acting as a window for Master Ni." as a contact.

Read the thread dude :p
Which is very different than him impersonating his master, which tiger heart suggested. Again though, I was asking him for clarification, since he's implied a couple different things in different threads.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is very different than him impersonating his master, which tiger heart suggested. Again though, I was asking him for clarification, since he's implied a couple different things in different threads.
Ya I think he's been pretty clear that he isn't Ni. Definitely not impersonating.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I think he's been pretty clear that he isn't Ni. Definitely not impersonating.
I didn't think it was all that clear until he said he would be "the window to Master Ni." Up to that point, given his avatar and screen name, I'd assumed he was just using 3rd person to talk about himself. And the "man man" on the wechat post didn't mean anything to me - I couldn't tell if it was a name, a screen name, or what.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, he said it was his WeChat and the name was manman, so ya. Also the post I replied to came after he clarified, so at that point it was....clarified.

He never used the first person either.

But ya, I guess the name and the avitar could have muddied the waters for those that weren't paying that close of attention.

TigerHeart

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

So, there are several inconsistencies. Master Ni mentioned two masters and two styles. Maybe a student or a secretary specks for him. How is that bother you?

Encho

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have him on my wechat, no one really talks much on there I guess, however great way to connect with other martial artist in China especially in Shanghai. What is Master Ni's first name, on Wechat it says 大.

Latest Discussions