Introducing Myself

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
I think you would like the FMA's as they do the stick and knife work you mentioned and do not do high kicks (* in general *).

Yes, for stick and knife work I feel that Filipino or Indonesian systems are the way to go. Of course, I am somewhat biased!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to check out "JUDO" classes also....before you sign up. ................Aloha

OP
N

notalent

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes.

I went and checked out the Wing Chun school today, watched a class and talked a lot with the teacher. After watching the class and everything I don't feel that is what I'm after. The teacher was very nice and there's no doubt that he knows his stuff, but it just isn't me. I guess I'm looking for a much more contact type of style with a lot more striking. I'm saying this with no experience (as I've said in my first post).

My next step is to visit the other school. The one that teaches a mixture of muy thai and juijitsu. And if that doesn't seem right I'm going to look into the kenpo schools around here. Finally, if none of them seem like a fit I think I will just focus on Fantasy Football. hehe, joking.

Judo... that's a lot of throws isn't it? I'm not interested at all in throws.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am glad you had the chance to check out the Wing Chung school, notalent. Hopefully you will find what you are looking for soon, perhaps with the muay tai/jujitsu school. Good luck :)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Judo is indeed a lot o fthrowing. For contact, the MMA school will surely give you what you want!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be interested in hearing what you find at the MMA school as well. Kenpo will be a good art for striking and hands most specifically.

You've already received good advice including the piece I lke to give most - go check them out, talk with the instructor and see if they will let you have a trial period if you sign a release (say, a week or two). We always give two weeks (or the equivalent) training for free in the beginning and don't ask for contracts.

You might run into someone who gives private lessons. Do what feels right, take your time, and don't buy a contract until you're ABSOLUTELY SURE this is the art and master for you.

Keep us posted - and welcome!

OP
N

notalent

Well, I have my first class on Monday at the MMA school. They don't offer free trial periods, but they offer a 60 day total guarantee, no questions asked. However, within the first week I imagine, I have to buy gear (gloves, shin pads, mouth guard and training uniform) so I'm thinking the guarantee doesn't cover that expense. But, most anything worth trying involves some kind of risk or another.

First class is a private 1-1 session with the head instructor, to go over the basic kicks, punches and how to hold the pads, etc. The class is basically like 80-90% tai kickboxing. No katas (I think I said that right) like in some of the other arts. They however have belts. I'm curious to how the ranking is and will be one of my questions on Monday.

Classes are 4 days a week, 1hr time frames.

It's definitely more expensive than the wing chun school, but I got my yearly raise and it should cover the cost:) I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for (95% of the time that is the case).

I just hope I can throw aside my shyness and let myself go so I can learn the most from their instruction. And I'm out of shape and can't touch my own toes (inflexibility, my belly isn't that big, hehe).

Needless to say, I'm excited. I could've started tomorrow, but chose to start on Monday...a futile attempt to maybe do some kind of preconditioning beforehand...ya, like there's anything I can do in 3 days that will make a difference.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a great time in the class! Don't worry about trying to learn everything at once. Keep an open mind, take your time and most of all have fun!!

Please let us know how it goes on Monday!!

Mike

Latest Discussions