Introducing myself

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good afternoon, newbie to MT, I live in the u.k, in my past I have trained in Bujinkan Ninjutsu, Traditional Hapkido (3rd Dan in both), now studying Systema. I look forward to many discussions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. Here you'll find a group of weirdos with odd opinions.

Er, I mean, you'll find a bunch of highly skilled typists with too much time.

Um, no, that's not it. Oh! You'll find a bunch of people with a lot of passion about martial arts. That's what you'll find. We discuss a wide range of topics, agree on some stuff, disagree on other stuff, and bicker senselessly when the mood strikes us. Mostly, we enjoy all of the above...especially the weirdos and odd opinions.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good afternoon, newbie to MT, I live in the u.k, in my past I have trained in Bujinkan Ninjutsu, Traditional Hapkido (3rd Dan in both), now studying Systema. I look forward to many discussions.

Welcome!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. Here you'll find a group of weirdos with odd opinions.

Er, I mean, you'll find a bunch of highly skilled typists with too much time.

Um, no, that's not it. Oh! You'll find a bunch of people with a lot of passion about martial arts. That's what you'll find. We discuss a wide range of topics, agree on some stuff, disagree on other stuff, and bicker senselessly when the mood strikes us. Mostly, we enjoy all of the above...especially the weirdos and odd opinions.
At the very least, one highly skilled weirdo with too much time...did I get that right? :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Gweilo. :)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Looking forward to your future input.

Where did you study Hapkido? As you may have noticed there is a Hapkido sub-forum in the Korean Martial Arts sub-forum. Not much activity there though.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Looking forward to your future input.

Where did you study Hapkido? As you may have noticed there is a Hapkido sub-forum in the Korean Martial Arts sub-forum. Not much activity there though.

Hello, I studied Hapkido in the West of England under a gentleman named Fred Adams 8th Dan IHF, I did notice the Hapkido sub section, but not many recent posts. May I asked where you trained, and do you still train?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I trained in Korea under GM Lee (Yi) Chong Moon (Mun), to 2nd Dan. I was able to study under him to 3rd Dan in the USA, but never had the opportunity to test before he passed away.

I am a bit up in age and suffer from back problems, so I am not training any more. But I still think of Hapkido training under GM Yi as some of the greatest experiences in my life.

OP
Gweilo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Similar story, once Mr Adams retired, his son did not want to travel around the U.K for grading , so the west of England Dojangs closed. I achieved 3rd Dan and no longer train, I do train in another MA, and still use Live hand with other techniques. I could of carried on training in Hapkido, but it would have meant a 400 mile round trip 3 times a week.
I myself am 48, but love training, and agree it was a fabulous time, I particularly enjoyed seminar weekends, and advanced training weekends.