Introduce Yourselves

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's your name mean -
She-Sulsa = I'm a grrrrl and I study Hwarang Do including the art of sulsa, that makes me a sulsa (literally, technician).

My real name is Georgia = Tiller/lover of the ground. I do love the earth, but I'm a horrible gardener but I tend to ground people so that they grow & change (kind of a catalyst, I guess) and usually anything I have anything to do with, so...I've kind of adapted the meaning to that.

Where are you from-

English roots in the name, probably in the blood too, but I'm very, very Irish in ancestry. I was born in Southern California during the Vietnam era and now that virtually all the agriculture is gone from Orange County, I moved 1,000 miles north (exactly!) to the Pacific Northwest. There are TREES here! I prefer to be in/near nature than in the concrete jungle...and with all the development springing up around me here, may have to move to Montana!!

What discipline are you training in-

Mainly Hwarang Do - IN A NON-WHRDA SCHOOL FROM AN EXPELLED BLACK BELT, SO THERE!!!! My teacher is also a Go Dan in Judo, so we work on that as well as grappling and jujitsu, LOTS of hand-to-hand and tactical maneuvers, edged weapons including Korean Sword. Rank = Half-black. I used to study Sam Pai Kenpo also and really like how the soft and circular were brought into kenpo by Joe Dimmick - really rounded out the style.

What you like to do other than Martial Arts-

Well, I'm a mom to three kids...one 14 year old boy with autism, cp and unspecified brain disorder, one 11 year old girl and one 5 year old boy, all of whom are also studying martial arts. So I'm mainly busy raising them, and I'm interested in getting them raised with as little damage as possible.

I love to read, knit, crochet, I'm learning car mechanics (fun!!), waterski, camp (of course), I'm a Girl Scout leader and am working with my troop on survival skills.

B

Baytor

Hi everyone,

What's your name mean? Baytor was a character from the comic book "The Hitman." He was actually an insane demon who ended up as a bartender. The only thing he would ever say is, "I AM BAYTOR", or some variation of that. My real name is Ken.

Where are you from? Well, when mommies and daddies love each other....
I live in Minnesota, the land of perpetual winter. :viking1: I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan, though.

What discipline are you trained in? Right now, I am taking Combat Hapkido. I'm really enjoying it. I started out in Lima Lama when I was about 15. I have done a lot of different stuff since then. I've taken little TKD, but have mostly done Filipino ma/JKD. I was really one of those jack of all trades types who was looking for the most effective stuff possible. Now though, it's really time to focus on one thing.

What do you like to do other than martial arts? Spend time with my wife and other friends. I also read a lot (comics too), watch anime, and play video games. I work a lot, but am fortunate enough to like my job.

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's my name mean?

Joshua: Origin - Hebrew Meaning: Lord is salvation

dubljay: short hand for Double J (JJ) my first two initials (Joshua James).

Where am I from?

I was born and raised in San Leandro CA (near Oakland)
Moved to Yreka, CA (near Oregon border) 2001

What discipline am i training in?
Started college in K. Falls Oregon where I discovered American Kenpo and have trained for the last year and some months.

What do I like to do other than martial arts?
MA is a big part of my life, but I enjoy archery, target shooting, soccer, just about anything out doors.

19, 3rd Brown

M

Melissa426

Name: Melissa origin greek for honey bee; named after my mother's best friend, for which I am thankful, since the rest of my siblings got stuck being named after various relatives.

Location: state clue: BIG car race held here every May, Larry Bird's from here, Lance Armstrong got his cancer treatment/cure here.

MA form: Tae Kwon Do, just starting, almost 2 mos, getting white belt next week.

Also like: gardening, reading, traveling, messing around on my computer

FYI: Came to this forum to get some advice about being a newbie in TKD, but now that I'm here, I just enjoy looking around and hangin' out!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Melissa426 said:
Location: state clue: BIG car race held here every May, Larry Bird's from here, Lance Armstrong got his cancer treatment/cure here.

Maine!

It's Maine isn't it????

:boing2:

M

Melissa426

Technopunk said:
Maine!

It's Maine isn't it????

:boing2:
Maine? No, it's not Maine! Don't tell me, you're from Kentucky, right? :rolleyes:

A

auxprix

Name: My handle is actually something I got out of the Wu-names generater years ago and I've just kept it ever since (it was actually Auxillery Prix, I abbrieviated it.) My real name is Nick (Victorious Army)

MA: Judoka for 3 years. Also dabbled in some Aikido and TKD (they didn't stick.)

Other Activities: I'm a Classical tenor, I play Ultimate frisbee, and guitar.

K

Katsu Jin Ken

Im Dustin

From Springfield, MO

study: Wing Chun.

my handle Katsu Jin Ken japanese for "sword that saves life", goes with setsu nin to "sword that takes enemy life" Yin Yang of sword.

The end.

adouglasmhor

White Belt
Reaction score
Tell us abit about yourselves here. 41 year old ex squaddie now an administrator

What's your name mean - Adouglasmhor, Gaelic for Big Dougie

Where are you from-Glasgow Scotland

What discipline are you training in-8th Kiu in the Booj

What you like to do other than Martial Arts- Eat, Cook, Sleep

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well lesse here, I'm relatively new so I'll go ahead and air the dirty laundry:

Name/Meaning: Aaron (Older brother to Moses in the Bible, Kind of ironic considering I end up being the Older Brother to lotsa people) Benjamin (Hebrew: literally meaning Son of the South) Chappell (a french name left over from me Huegenot ancestors). The handle should be self-explanatory....erm....I'm studying Silat y'see. As for any stalkers out there I have but one request, please withdraw any savings you have before ya start stalking me, I'll need it to replace my bullet expenditures (I like shootin' the expensive stuff).

Where I'm From: Well I'm American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God Almighty *ahem* Florida to be specific. Lived in Spain for a bit as a young 'un. Other than that I've been a Floridian all me life.

What Discipline am I training in? Well I'm doing PSP (www.combat-silat.net) right now, and enjoying every minute of it. I'd like to learn a bit of "Dirty Boxing" and whatever comes my way. It's all grist fer the mill.

What do I like to do other than Martial arts? Well I roleplay (mostly the Pen & Paper old fashioned stuff, DnD, Shadowrun, Savage Worlds, Alternity etc.....I have been known to knock around on computers a bit), I'm getting into hunting, learning to make knives, teaching folks so they don't screw up (hopefully) in exactly the same way I did. I also like guns and have a passing interest in Buckskinning (google it). Currently trying to start a Silat Group out here in Tampa, hope to have it going before the turn of the year.

Age: Old enough to have already done too many stupid things.

Serial Number: Haven't been able to find it yet but I suspect it's near the itch I can never quite scratch.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell us abit about yourselves here.

What's your name mean -
bignick? there's actually a long story behind this...hope you have some free time...i came up with the name because my name is nick...and i happen to be big...

Where are you from-
minnesota..northern minnesota...i live like only a couple inches away from canada....at least according to this map i've got...i think they got the distance wrong though

What discipline are you training in-
taekwondo, judo and jujitsu...tried to add kendo...but it was too much and something else would've suffered...testing for my black belt in taekwondo in december...which is also when i'll probably take my brown belt test in jujitsu...as for judo...well...my rank progress has fallen by the wayside...coming up on a year and a half as a yellow belt(first after white)...but you better believe i'm a damn good yellow belt...i've got the test booklet filled out for orange, and have taken the written test...have all the techniques chosen i'm going to demonstrate...but it never seems to get done...

What you like to do other than Martial Arts-
what else is there?

seriously...play guitar, post on martial talk...as i'm averaging over 13 posts a day now...i'm junior in college...major is computer science...so obviously i spend a lot of time online...used to be huge into computer games until i had to be at a computer all the time...now, to chill i'll play some old school NES nintendo...nothing in life better than choosing "left or right", "A or B"....also..i enjoy reading...

Add whatever else you would like ~!
no...i'm pretty sure you know more than you want to already...

P

PhotoMan

Hey Tess:
Soooo, you're into photography...hmmmm....we're looking for people like you.

I'm up near Buffalo with a martial arts photography website.
Would you be interested in contributing event pics; technique pics; instructor pics & profiles? Take a look at
www.martialartsphotography.com. Anyone else out there interested. Our mission is to promote all martial arts as one big community as opposed to battle grounds for what's better than what.

Other than that, my name is Kim (supposedly teutonic for chief). Now testing for my black stripe on brown in Isshin Ryu Karate. I'm verrrry old: 55. Started when I was 52.
I'm in better shape now than when I was all varsity in high school.

Hobbies: varmint hunting the farm with my able dog when I'm not glued to PhotoShop.

P

Patrick Skerry

My name is Patrick Skerry, I am a shodan in Judo, I am attending a college here in Boston, I was born in a town outside of Boston called Somerville, and I love Judo its history and everything about it. I want to start my own Judo dojo, but I am having some political problems within the Judo world. So I have some things to solve before I hang out my Judo shingle.

Hwoarang_tkd26

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What's your name mean?
Well I dunno which one your talking about so I will give both.
My real name is Joseph: From the Latan "Josephus" which was from the Greek "Losephus" which was from the Hebrew name "Yoseph" meaning "He will add." 5+9=14 (lol, just a joke)
And my MT name Hwoarang_tkd26 (ok, im gonna hafta break this down)

Hwoarang: was inspired by me from the military youth group in Korea many years ago that went by the name of Hwa-rang do, they were fierce fighters that protected their country from the Japanise, and I have herd it said that if it were not for the Hwa-rang do there would probably be no Korea,Hwa-rang do meaning "The way of the flowering youth."
Also another reason I chose the name is there is a fighter on the video game Tekken for Playstation/PS2 by the name Hwoarang (I can kick some serious trash with him) he is the character you see in my avator.

TKD: lol, obviously it stands for Tae Kwon Do, that is the style I train in.

26: well, this is just my lucky number

Where are you from?
I am from Utah, USA

What Discipline are you training in?
TKD, I am a 2nd Dan. Also have some training in Juijitsu, Wrestling, boxing

Things I like to do other than Martial Arts:
Swimming, fishing, boating, camping, shooting stuff, body building, hangin with friends, posting stuff on MT, picking up chicks, sleeping, and playing video games.

Oh yeah i almost forgot to put my age, Im 18

- Hwoarang_tkd26

J

Jim

What's your name mean?
My name (James) means 'supplanter' which - if you look it up - means one who removes someone from a position of power and replaces them with another. Interesting, no?

Where are you from?
Australia - or if you want to say it like the rest of us here, Oars-stray-ya ;)

What dicipline are you training in?
Jiu-Jitsu, no the other one. The one from Japan.

What do you like to do other than martial arts?
There is SO MUCH I like to do. I play bass in a punk metal band (www.plodhead.com), pretend I'm a Husband to one wife and Dad to 4 kids, run a Real Estate agency and I like boats. I like coffee. A lot. :D

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, everybody!

My name doesn't really mean anything. I just hammered some random letters on the keyboard a few years ago to use as a userID or something and it sort of resembled a word. Actually, it came up XeQUae, but my friend took that one because he was there too, and I changed mine to xequat because my first name is Tony ( I put a "t" at the end instead of the "e."

I'm from Hebron, KY, which is in northern Kentucky, barely south of Cincinnati, OH. It's kind of like a suburb of Cincinnati more than like the Appalachian regions of a lot of Kentucky, but I'm still a UK Wildcats fan!

I'm training in Shaolin-do for exercise and rank. I'm a second-degree brown belt. I've also recently started a few other styles because my buddy is an instructor at my business. He has been teaching me Kyusho Jitsu (DKI), Aiki Jujitsu and Modern Arnis. Seems like a lot, but the Kyusho Jitsu seems more knowledge-based and it's something that can be applied to all of the other styles rather than learned separately. I go to class about 7.5 hours per week starting this week.

Other than doing MA, I like to think about doing MA. Just kidding. I like the Simpsons and I'm a heck of a proofreader (exceptt muy ownm stuf, heh). I try to follow politics and I have pretty strong moderate beliefs, but it's kind of like golf. You like it, but it can really piss you off. I can be annoyingly logical and analytical, too.

I'm 29 years old and extremely attractive and brilliant. I like movies, Chinese food, and long walks on the beach...oh wait, this isn't the personal dating ads page. Did I mention that I am really funny? OK, maybe I'm not, but I think I am. My rank is World's Sexiest Man (according to my imaginary newspaper) and my serial number is (pi)R squared.

J

jaymo

my name? jaymo. i have a real name, but i want to stay anonymous. perhaps someday i will reveal myself to y'all.

i'm american- i live in one of the 50 states.

i've been involved in MA since 2001. it has been an interesting journey. i take TKD, sparring classes, and kali. i'm not very good at any of the arts, i stay involved because it is therapeutic for me. i have a red belt in TKD and a blue belt in HKD, although i haven't gone to a hapkido class in over a year!

i work in mental health. after a really long day of work, there's nothing i like better than kicking, punching, and yelling. i'm married and don't have any children...yet. i'm told that i'm an enjoyable person to be around. i am a good listener and have a really warped sense of humor. i care about the well-being of people without being icky and co-dependent. i'm an activist and feminist.

if i tell you anymore information, i might have to kill you....

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know Drag'n is a bit corny.It seemed appropriate since I have a traditional Japanese dragon tattoo covering my back. My real name is Jason.

From New Zealand. Lived in Australia for 3 years and Japan for about 11.
Now permanently residing in Tokyo.33 years old.

Started training at age 11 in ITF TKD.Got my 2nd degree black at age 18 .
Then went to Japan with dreams of training with the "masters". Ended up working at a ski resort in the mountains.NO dojo for miles!
After a year went back to NZ and did Muay Thai for about a year.Then back to Japan again. Dabbled in aikido, liked it, but felt the need to kick!
Trained in Kyokushin Karate for about 1.5 years at the Kamata dojo. 4th kyu
Then waisted the best potential years of my life partying my *** off and trying to make easy money.Unfortunately everything has its price.
Went to Australia and spent about a year doing Kenshinkan Karate.4th kyu.
Also dabbled in some eccletic kung fu style I dont remember the name of.
Back to Japan in 1998. Did Capoiera for a year. Then started training in Wushu and Shaolin long fist.
After 2 years I started cross training in Muay Thai.TOO much at once.Something had to give.It turned out to be my knee.
Forced retirement from Wushu competition so I put all my focus on Muay Thai.
Started Daidojuku about a year and half ago.Now 4th kyu AGAIN!
Recently discovered Ryukyu Kempo, thanks to this forum, and looking to supplement it into my current training.

Besides MA I like to surf and snowboard.
I'm also a professional hip hop dancer and fire performer (fire knives/staff/poi/fire eating etc.)

My Japanese wife and I run an international pre-school in Tokyo. I love kids. My dream is to open my own dojo here in Tokyo and train little boys and girls into young warriors.But first I have to be one myself! And figure out how to tie together all the important skills I've learned into one comprehensive system.Not ready yet. Still alot to learn.

And I'm hopelessly addicted to MT! Somebody get me off this #%&** computer so I can get some sleep!

J

Jaymeister

What's your name mean?
My friends began calling me Jaymeister because of my drinking habits. It's a combination of Jay, which is short for Jacob, and Jägermeister.

Where are you from?
Scandinavia, more precisely Denmark.

What dicipline are you training in?
None. I stopped doing TKD about 5 years ago, and haven't been active in any club since. I try to train at home as much as I can, though I hope to join a club again in the near future.

What do you like to do other than martial arts?
Nothing that's really worth talking about

age, rank, serial number
Serial number: 742617000027

Latest Discussions