Introduce Yourselves

K

kenpo12

Tell us abit about yourselves here.
What's your name mean -

My handle is the art I study and my lucky number. Just that simple.

Where are you from-

I'm from the kenpo mecca Pasadena, Ca

What discipline are you training in-

I have been studying American Kenpo under Larry Tatum for the last 7+ years.
I also study Judo as of a few months ago.

What you like to do other than Martial Arts-

I've been known to skateboard, snowboard, and watch TV. My other passion is K9's. I love my dogs and I volunteer with an animal rescue.

Age, rank Serial number

I'm 28 years old and hold the rank of 2nd degree black belt. I left the cereal number on the box of wheaties when I threw them away.

G

Gary Crawford

My name-Gary Crawford-as you can see I don't use a sceenname. I am originally from San Jose where I started my training in martial arts in Kenpo and became a child bb at 13,that was when my parents decided to move back to their home town of Hot Springs,Ar.When I got there,I looked for a new instructor but no one in the state at that time(late seventies) was teaching Kenpo.I tried out every school around and some of the local schools left a bad taste in my mouth so I decided to just be a kid for awhile.at the age of 17, I was desperate to get out of Ar,so I enlisted in the AF.While I was serving.I met several good instructors of various styles and trained with all of them from time to time.After returning home to civilian life,I was too busy trying to find my place in life to train.In 1995,I went to work starting the family business(One dollar stores)here in Bristol,Tn and have been doing that ever since.Five years ago my Eight yr old(then)son wanted to start learning some sort of MA,so I started him in Teakwondo.He took to it like a duck to water,I have never seen anyone with more "want to" in my life!I became his personal sparring coach and the urge to train was brewing deep inside me.At that time I found a JKD instructor and I was hooked again!I trained with him for three years until Professor Dill took away his instructors liscence.After that I have had to do all of my training by driving long distances to JKD seminars with Professor Dill.Other than Martial Arts? I used to be a better than average skateboarder,but these days I can't afford to risk that much injury,so I play tennis when I can find a partner(I refuse to play in private clubs,so players are few and far between in this area),when not working,I spend my time with my wife and my three children who live here and my 21 yr old son in Arkansas.I teach Counter-Terrorism seminars in some local Ma schools from time to time(which is so much fun that I feel guilty being paid for it). Age-40( I feel younger now than when I was twenty)Rank-Shodan serial no.buried in the archives

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

What's your name mean -

Yari means spear in japanese. Terje, which is my real name and is Norwegian, means spear.

Where are you from-
Born i Norway - grew up in Canada - took my education in Norway- currently living in Denmark.

Aikido - Nishio style

Play games, be with family and friends on differnt occaision.

Add whatever else you would like ~!
ok, alkjsdfælkjsahfdkjsahdlkfjhsakhfælksajdvkjadsvækjasfdsdf
lsaækdflksajfdølknvækjafd0ojWNNVDSD

Age, rank Serial number *G*

39 - 42

/Yari

G

Galvatron

What's your name mean -
Galvatron was the fearless leader of the Decepticons (was originally Megatron)

Where are you from-
Jacksonville, FL.

Primarily Tang Soo Do (3rd Dan), although I dabble in Taekwondo (1st Dan) and Hapkido (no rank).

Play with my car, play online, play xbox, play in general.

Add whatever else you would like
m0g

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Howdy Ya'll

My name (KenpoTex) should be self-explanatory, Kenpo 'cause that's what I study, Tex because I am proud to hail from the great country...er, I mean great state of Texas.

I'm 22 years old, currently 3rd brown in EPAK. I've also dabbled in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I currently live in Springfield, Misery...oops, I mean Missouri. When I'm not in the studio (5 days a week, sometimes more) I enjoy Reading, watching movies (mostly action & martial-arts related), playing video games (mostly violent "shoot 'em up" games) and surfing the 'net. I'm also a huge weapons enthusiast (guns, knives, swords...whatever).

Just a little aside here: it seems like any hobbies we have outside of our training are also in some way related to violence or fighting...strange.

Anyway, back to what I was talking about...I am currently in charge of security for a real-estate company. I graduated two years ago with a degree in Criminal Justice but since I spend so much time studying Kenpo I'm not ready to get a real job that would require more responsibility(and take me away from my training).

anyway enough about me.

M

Mæzarin™

'ello all...can't believe I was registered so rapidly since the email said it'd take between 12-24 hours. Craziness!

Um, well...on all the other boards I frequent, I've had basically the same SN, Mazarin. He was a cardinal of France I vaguely remember from 10th grade history class, so I used it in a game once, then decided to apply it to myself. You can call me Mazzy, Maz, or Malia, whatever you like. I go by everything, but all the people on my Invader Zim board (www.roomwithamoose.com) know me by any conjugation of Mazarin.

Plus to be nifty I discovered how to use the charmap tool on Windows. Tis a lovely feature.

Pff, can't really pinpoint any major city I hail from since I was born in Hawaii and have lived in 5 different states in my lifetime. This is the longest I've EVER stayed in one place (5 years...whoo boy!) so I'm rather attached to it, despite the universal opinion.

This is my first year of American Kenpo, and I hope to continue it for many years. Although I feel miles behind everybody else (and I'm just a giant softie without any urge whatsoever to fight), I'll do my best and have fun trying. My real passion is art, and I draw whenever possible on any surface available. And all of my avatars are hand-made. :D

Besides drawing and my short time in martial arts, I also enjoy leisurely swimming, bike riding, and general tomfoolery. My new laptop has also added a great joy to my life, and hopefully it will last me through my undergraduate years if I can stop carrying it around with me.

So, yeah....virtual hugs for all my buds from Mountaineer Martial Arts! :ultracool

B

buddah_belly

What's your name mean - It means I need some more cardio

Where are you from-Texas

What discipline are you training in- Aikido, Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Kenjitsu, Choy Li Fut Kung Fu

What you like to do other than Martial Arts- take naps

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
buddah_belly said:
Where are you from-Texas
Welcome, where in texas are you from?

Don't know of many Choy Li Fut schools in texas offhand.

Nice to have you here.

7sm

Taimishu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi real name David screen name is a p***take on the teach yourself books.
You know the ones, Buy my book for £19-95 and in 6 months you can Taimishu.(tie my shoe).

Crystal palace in london (not the comcen of NORAD)

I'm an old fart who is recovering from illness and is trying to come back to Iaido.

Interests are trying to second guess my cat, model rocketry, reading, cooking and just about anything.

Age 10 years older than God
Rank no I had a shower
Serial No 26 36 26 oops!!!!!!!!

C

Cameron

What’s your name mean? Cameron is said to mean bent or crooked nose. Cameron is an ancient Scottish clan of which I am a member.

Where are you from? Western Chicago suburb, Illinois

What discipline are you training in? I have studied Tae Kwon Do, Karate and most recently BJJ. I have also trained in free style “Jeet June Do” type of fighting. I have mastered none. I am very interested in Kenjutsu but I am not aware of any schools near me. :(

What you like to do other than martial arts? I enjoy working on and racing my car. I also enjoy (and am admittedly addicted too) Star Wars Galaxies on line game. I’m such a kid.

Add whatever else you would like. I got involved in martial arts at the age of about 16. I enjoy learning parts from many styles as opposed to mastering any one, although I have a great deal of respect for those who choose to master their style. I think this attitude stems from the fact that I have yet to find the style that fits me.

Age, rank Serial number: I am 40. I don’t believe in rank. Either you are a master or a student.

G

Gary5000

What's your name mean - It just means Gary. (That's my name.)

Where are you from - I'm from Lehi, Utah like my mom Caralee (Ceicei)

What discipline are you training in- American Kenpo - I take it at Rocky Mountain Sports Academy

What you like to do other than Martial Arts- Just play. (I'm a kid.)

Age, rank- I'm 9 yrs. old; I'm a green belt. (The order is White, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, Green, Brown, and Black.)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's your name mean - Screen name is (for now) Yiliquan1. Why? Because I was the first Yiliquan student active in MA discussion fora on the internet. I'm working on getting all my Yiliquan1 handles changed to my real name, Matt Stone.

Where are you from - Born and raised in Omaha, NE. Joined the Army, and have lived at Fort Benning, GA; Fort Stewart, GA; Camps Greaves and Liberty Bell, DMZ, Republic of South Korea; Fort Carson, CO; Fort Riley, KS; Camp Zama, Sagamihara, Japan; and now Fort Lewis, WA.

What discipline are you training in - Yiliquan since 1985. I have also trained in Modern Arnis (under one of Renegade's students), Shuri-te Ha Karate-do under Sensei Mitsuo Onozaki, and shared information through training with a few other people. I am currently exploring Judo and Systema in addition to my regular Yili training.

What you like to do other than Martial Arts - Reading about and watching programs concerning history, computer games, wargames, lifting weights (specifically kettlebell training), and spending time with my family.

Age, rank - 35, Sergeant... Oh, you probably meant MA, right? I am a level 2 senior student in Yiliquan. I hold no other officially recognized rank in any other art, nor do I care to. Anything I do outside of Yili is done either for the sheer fun of it, or so I can get "new eyes" to look at my Yili practice differently in order to learn something new from it.

And I'm not new, I've just been gone for a while...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TigerWoman - I wear tiger shirts alot. Used to design them.
Besides I fight fierce and I don't give up.

From Upper Midwest - where its always COLD (it seems)

WTF Taekwondo (Taeguek, Traditional-Chunji etc. forms)

Pottery, rug hooking, quilting (just started) , reading, playing with my cockatiels & my dog, a poodle - no comments - not groomed like one and am a retired graphic illustrator/designer and maybe painting if I ever get more room! I also want to take horse equitation lessons. (but way too much time on this computer lately)

By now, if you've read around the forum, I'm 54 and not quite 2nd Dan, sigh - does martial arts get better by age 60 - not!

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear. I've only just now realized that I haven't as of yet introduced myself. Terribly sorry 'bout the bad manners.

Hi. My name is Dan Bowman, July 19, 1976. I live in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, and grew up on a farm about 45 minutes North of here.(hence Flatlander)

I train in Natural Spirit Modern Arnis under a WMAC brother instructor, but am as of yet unranked in this art. I have previously achieved a mid level rank in Jun Fan JKD, but quit formal training for about three years, and spent that time working alone on my fundamentals.

Aside from martial arts I spend time fathering my 15 month old daughter, trying to stay out of trouble with my wife, and drinking beer with friends whenever I get the opportunity. I try to keep abreast of current events, follow the business news, and read a book from time to time. Sometimes I just stare at nothing and think about things.
I believe that I have figured out the approximate structure of the universe, space-time curvature and how it relates to the Big Bang and black holes,gravity, and the dicontinuity of matter. I am having trouble reconciling all of this with my conciuosness, however. Unfortunately, I don't think I can explain it to you without waving my arms around a lot, and drawing bad pictures.

I'm really glad to be here. I like this community. There are many interesting personalities that post here, and I look forward to seeing you all on the forums.
Dan

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What's your name mean - Both parts of the name are basically puns off the idea that net identities aren't real. You know, people you meet in chat rooms and message forums just being meaningless images on the screen that you can ignore once you sign off? Besides, the fact that random and phantom sound alike just made it that much cooler. 700 is just a number I picked at random that I liked. ;)

Where are you from- Florida.

What discipline are you training in- No martial art discipline praciticed here. I choose the general defense of stay out of the danger zone. May take it up soon, I dunno.

What you like to do other than Martial Arts- Billiards, internet forums, occassional clubbing, pseudo-philosophy, politics, video games, and listen to rock music. Pretty exciting, huh?

Add whatever else you would like ~! Hi mom.

Age, rank Serial number *G* 21 y.o. soon to be law school student.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What’s your name mean? Rick Wade is the navy I use when i was on the Radio My real name is Richard Wade English. My friends call me Rick

Where are you from? Born in Alabama = where the men are men and the sheep are nervous. But currently reside in Honolulu, Hawaii.

What discipline are you training in? I have been in American Kenpo for 14 years and 1st black

What you like to do other than martial arts? Unfourtunatlety the Navy takes up most of my time.

Add whatever else you would like. I just got involved with the Universal Kenpo Federation the are breaking down all my techniques and forms and showing them to me in a new light as to which I have never looked at them with.

Age, rank Serial number: I am 35. I don’t believe in 1st black. Forever Student.

Respectfully