inteview of tkd blackbelt

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hi Folks!
Boy did this thread take a left turn at albaqurue or what?
Since people have been mentioning alot of people that I have dealt with in the past or present I think I will give an overall opinion and/or comment about them...
Since Count Dante' was the last one mentioned I'll start there...
After John Keehan left Robert Trias he went to Ed Parker. He trained at the pasadena studio for 2 weeks at a time when he was on the west coast. John Mcsweeny vividly remembered training with Keehan under Parker and mentioned it in his memior book "Battleaxe:A Warrior's Tale" and in coversations with me at the 2001 Gathering of the eagles in Las Vegas, where he detailed out the training with Keehan under Mr. Parker. BTW, the IKKA was the only kenpo organization recognized by the WKF [world karate federation] and BDFS [black dragon fighting society]{not to be confused w/ Ashida Kim's past group who fraudulantly used the name for awhile}. I know this because I was recognized by William V. Aguiar, the inheirtor of the Count Dante' system. When I saw his classes and his evaluations, I saw kenpo, which was the foundation for the Dante' system of fighting. For all his marketing, Dante' did well for himself and many of his ideas are not standards for such systems as krav maga,systema,JKD and many others.
George Elmer is the head of the American Chinese Kenpo Karate System and has a background in Tracy and Parker Kenpo as well as other arts. I have seen the man move and have known him for several years. He does not simply "parrot" the techniques of the afore mentioned styles but puts his own unique approach to the techniques as well as creating his own unique techniques indigienous to his creative thought process and applying those techniques to the new forms he has incorporated into his system. The key is "creativity" and to add to the "well of knowledge" rather than simply do exactly what someone else did and call it a new name.
Victor "Sonny" Gascon is a long time martial artist who chose to re-enter the martial arts spotlight and educate people to his own art, Karazenpo Goshinjutsu, He freely acknowledged his former master, Adriano Emperado, to the point where he asks his student to no longer to him [gascon] as "sijo" because as he [gascon] says "My master [emperado] is sill here, and he is "sijo". Such is the nature of this man. He now wants to share the original version of the art he created with those who chose to learn under him and not comsumed with greed regarding money or his art. He simply wants everyone to be happy and is overwhelmed with the popularity of the arts that stem from his creation.
I've had the honor and privilage to have worked with these men and just thought i'd share some comments about them. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask.
I hope that I was of some service,
KENPOJOE

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is a direct link to the interview the original post was looking for

http://www.kempokarate.com/kempo_vs.cfm

also you can order a DVD of the interview Shihan Geary recorded with Sonny Gascon, and in a day or two he will also have posted a transcript of a January 2005 interview with Thomas Mitose. Mitose speaks his mind freely about his father and Kosho-Ryu succession and other topics...

Geary: Do you think that Bruce Juchnik got a masters certificate from your father?

Mitose: No, that masters certificate…no. The certificate he has was ...
He has asked me not to post too much of the text so that's all I can give you for now...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure that's been linked many times, it's been available for awhile. THsi internview with Thomas Mitose took place in January 2005 and has not been previously published.

The webmaster at www.kempokarate.com has not yet gotten it posted yet but it will be there shortly...

-David

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
So while I was on my long weekend away from the hindernet i tried to imagine why you 3 or 4 guys are so worked up over Geary's rank.

1) Jealousy - You wish you had $20,000 to spend on a piece of paper to hang on the wall or to gold-leaf your dojo decor.
Ah, no.

BTW I noticed your founder's Shodan certificate reads American Kenpo???? Why?? Mr. Cerio didn't teach the AK curriculum. If I am wrong please correct me.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
bayonet said:
BTW I noticed your founder's Shodan certificate reads American Kenpo???? Why?? Mr. Cerio didn't teach the AK curriculum. If I am wrong please correct me.
I believe Professor Cerio use the term American Kenpo to refer to the system
he taught prior to NCK, and I also believe that he used AK on certificates
when recognizing rank without actually ranking someone in NCK. I think
I'm pretty close, hopefully Prof. Shuras will correct any errors in my
statements as he would know more than I.
AK is not to be confused with EPAK, you are correct that Professor
Cerio did not teach the EPAK curriculum.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Didn't read all 8 pages of these posts, but in case nobody else mentioned this, That interview is completely one sided and is aone HUGE formal falacy.
It is a reference to a false authority and a too small of a pool of information. I think, anyway I took a class on critical thinking and that basically covers it. Anyway, basically, if you are thinking of using it to recruit people drom TKD to Kempo, don't. if they have any brains they will realize that it is rediculous. it is all about who the instructor is and how they teach, it has nothing to do with the style, And as a TKD artist, I'm kinda sick of being the current McDojang target. I understand a lot of TKD schools are bad, but not all of us, so just tell the truth and be a good instructor and do't worry about style vs style, Kenpo is great, I have a good friend that is an instructor in kenpo. he loves TKD too.

Im ranting, the interview was annoying.

Robert

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You mean the guy that studied over ten years ago in the basement of a dormintory, with no mats, equipment or bags from a fellow college student enjoys being in a Dojo more??? What do you know

Todd

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
I believe Professor Cerio use the term American Kenpo to refer to the system
he taught prior to NCK, and I also believe that he used AK on certificates
when recognizing rank without actually ranking someone in NCK. I think
I'm pretty close, hopefully Prof. Shuras will correct any errors in my
statements as he would know more than I.
AK is not to be confused with EPAK, you are correct that Professor
Cerio did not teach the EPAK curriculum.
Yes, this is correct. Prof. Cerio would award rank in "American Kenpo" when he decided to promote a person who was not a student specifically of "Nick Cerio's Kenpo". However this was not a "recognition of rank" he did in fact promote Shihan Geary to black at that time.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Yes, this is correct. Prof. Cerio would award rank in "American Kenpo" when he decided to promote a person who was not a student specifically of "Nick Cerio's Kenpo". However this was not a "recognition of rank" he did in fact promote Shihan Geary to black at that time.
I wasn't referring to anyone specific, I was just pointing out reasons why
Professor Cerio would have American Kenpo on a certificate.

OP
K

Karazenpo

dsp921 said:
I wasn't referring to anyone specific, I was just pointing out reasons why
Professor Cerio would have American Kenpo on a certificate.

Hello sir, yes those answers were correct. Nick Cerio certified rank in two systems, one was his original that became the foundation of the other, NCK. At one time Gm. Pesare refered to the Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu he taught as Amercian Kenpo of Zenpo Go Shinjutsu. Professor Cerio, his former student, picked up on that. He told me that any system of kenpo that was not NCK, he used the generic name American Kenpo for ranking. The vast majority that came to him that wasn't NCK originally came from Villari or Villari offshoots which was essentially Cerio's original system that he taught Villari. If he decided to take you as a private student he would ask, but never pressure you, in what system do you wish to work in? Either you picked NCK or you chose to stay with your original which he would go over and, as he put it, clean up for you. Rarely were you ranked and worked in both arts. My wife and I were fortunate, we chose to stay with our original in all due respect to NCK because that was what we were the most comfortable with from so many years of training. However, the Professor also decided to train us and rank us in both. Although I have a 6th dan from him (1992) in American Kenpo, I also have a 3rd from him in NCK, as that is up to the curriuclum I had back then.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really not much there. We already knew Miose the Jr did'nt like Juchnik, that Mitose Jr thinks all the rest of the certs are fakes. I'm not knocking Mitose Jr, but did you expect any thing else??
Quite a bucket of crabs??
Todd

Thunderbolt

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Really not much there. We already knew Miose the Jr did'nt like Juchnik, that Mitose Jr thinks all the rest of the certs are fakes. I'm not knocking Mitose Jr, but did you expect any thing else??
Quite a bucket of crabs??
Todd
"Ed parker" name popped up in the interview but it doesn't last longer than 1 second :(

not sure if he *doesn't* want to talk about it or what.???

of course, all big names in kenpo was dropped in this interview. I would say it was quite full BUT nothing is in detail EXCEPT Juchnik thing.

interesting to read. "you know what i'm saying" T.M said it more than 3 times :)

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well the interview was a waste. But this is the first I have heard that Mr. Parker was thought of as a "joke" especially within his own association. But consider the source and what website this transcript is posted on. Doc if your reading please shed some light on this. It seems that Mr. Mitose was negative about everything and everybody. I wonder how much he made off of this interview!!! Anybody out there that has ever trained with Mr. Trejo will attest to his skill level. As far as the speed of Mr. Parker I think Doc would be the man to ask on this matter. I am sure some of you out there will flame me for this post but lets make it interesting. Just remember who helped get the great Bruce Lee on the scene and as many of you know, Mr. Inosanto has a BB in AK ala Mr. Parker.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bayonet said:
Well the interview was a waste. But this is the first I have heard that Mr. Parker was thought of as a "joke" especially within his own association. But consider the source and what website this transcript is posted on. Doc if your reading please shed some light on this. It seems that Mr. Mitose was negative about everything and everybody. I wonder how much he made off of this interview!!! Anybody out there that has ever trained with Mr. Trejo will attest to his skill level. As far as the speed of Mr. Parker I think Doc would be the man to ask on this matter. I am sure some of you out there will flame me for this post but lets make it interesting. Just remember who helped get the great Bruce Lee on the scene and as many of you know, Mr. Inosanto has a BB in AK ala Mr. Parker.
It's obvious that Mr. Geary is not real familiar with pidgen english (Hawaiian slang and accent). So his transcription of this interview is not exactly accurate.
If your familiar with the people involved at the time, you'll realize that Tom was not talking about Frank "Trejo". He was talking about Robert "Trias" and his U.S.K.A.
He was also saying that Mr. Parkers people considered his dad a joke when he tried to show them techniques.

bayonet

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Bishop, thanks for the insight into the transcript. Living in Hawaii I am used to hearing pidgin butI obviously misunderstood the translation of the interview. Thanks for setting me straight on the subject matter.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Parkers people thought he was jike when trying to show a technique....WOW that's a new one!

Todd

Latest Discussions