International black belt open championships

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
So today I saw on tv a tournament for different styles of traditional martial arts. There were kickboxers, karate guys, taekwondo, Kung fu and freestyle guys. It was a continuous tournament and it was very interesting to watch. Here are some points that I saw from it.

I found that even though they were all different styles there was no special movements for each. They all looked the same really the same kicks and punches.

One guy who came in and stated he was going to use trapping techniques actually ended up not doing a single but turned his back every time an attack was thrown at him.

While there were some spinning kicks a lot of them ended up with the thrower ending up on the floor.

It was a good show and anyone in the uk it was on the freeview channel frontrunner and I believe it's being repeated tomorrow.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So today I saw on tv a tournament for different styles of traditional martial arts. There were kickboxers, karate guys, taekwondo, Kung fu and freestyle guys. It was a continuous tournament and it was very interesting to watch. Here are some points that I saw from it.

I found that even though they were all different styles there was no special movements for each. They all looked the same really the same kicks and punches.

One guy who came in and stated he was going to use trapping techniques actually ended up not doing a single but turned his back every time an attack was thrown at him.

While there were some spinning kicks a lot of them ended up with the thrower ending up on the floor.

It was a good show and anyone in the uk it was on the freeview channel frontrunner and I believe it's being repeated tomorrow.
i think once you start fighting, its high % techniques and most styles are indistinct from each other, they all look at lot like kick boxing, oh and most people fall over if doing spinning kicks

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
i think once you start fighting, its high % techniques and most styles are indistinct from each other, they all look at lot like kick boxing, oh and most people fall over if doing spinning kicks
I know that's why I think people get to caught up in technique the perfect stance the perfect punch, kick or whatever but at the end of the day all that goes out the window. All those guys were black belts with years of experience and they all looked very similar and frankly a lot of it looked like just plain brawling with a few kicks added in.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually another note to add. There were only 2 women fights on the show and honestly I think they fought better than the men because the men were constantly going in and trading and getting tied up in the clinch and separated but the women barely ever had to break and were constantly using good footwork

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that's why I think people get to caught up in technique the perfect stance the perfect punch, kick or whatever but at the end of the day all that goes out the window. All those guys were black belts with years of experience and they all looked very similar and frankly a lot of it looked like just plain brawling with a few kicks added in.

It really doesn't go out the window with the more experienced fighters. But it's certainly not easy to differentiate between styles without a lot of experience.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
It really doesn't go out the window with the more experienced fighters. But it's certainly not easy to differentiate between styles without a lot of experience.
Those guys were all experienced fighters with most having trained for at least 10 years and again all black belts and like I said there was very little technical fighting going on

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those guys were all experienced fighters with most having trained for at least 10 years and again all black belts and like I said there was very little technical fighting going on
Lots of people have trained for over 10 years and have black belts, but are not experienced fighters. Training is different from fighting. The way some people train it is very different.

If you want to see technical fighting, watch the people who actually fight on a regular basis, train with other fighters, and train with the methods which have been proven effective for fighters.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But it's certainly not easy to differentiate between styles without a lot of experience.
Experienced fighters AND experienced viewers.

I interpreted that post with a heavier emphasis on experienced viewers, but I could be wrong.

I agree that the more experience a viewer has, the more obvious the differences become.