internal martial arts must open eyes on conditioning training

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The term "Internal marital arts" is being thrown around..

to Midnight-shadow and KEY IN...

What exactly do you consider to be "Internal Marital Arts"?
"internal marital arts" sounds a bit naughty, if you ask me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So I wasn't too far wrong. To my mind there are 3 things you can do when someone throws an attack at you: Dodge it, block it and redirect it. If you intend to block the attack, you will require more body conditioning than if you plan on redirecting the attack. External styles (from what I understand) tend to block more, whereas Internal styles tend to redirect more. If this is the case then the external styles will require more body conditioning to be effective than the internal styles. Would that be a fair assessment?

Yes and no, you can doge, block, redirect, attack or lock and in an art like Xingyiquan attack is defense and attack is attack.
Point is there is body conditioning in Internal styles but it is not necessarily the same as external styles, but then it is not necessarily different either.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes and no, you can doge, block, redirect, attack or lock and in an art like Xingyiquan attack is defense and attack is attack.
Point is there is body conditioning in Internal styles but it is not necessarily the same as external styles, but then it is not necessarily different either.

Correct me if I'm wrong but while there is body conditioning in both, they focus on different things. Internal styles rely more on speed and flexibility, whereas external styles rely more on strength and power. The OPs video implies that those practicing internal Martial Arts need to train in strength and power conditioning in order to stand up to an opponent, which to me just isn't true. As I stated previously, if you are skilled enough in redirecting an opponent's energy, it doesn't matter how much stronger they are than you, their extra strength means nothing.

Dong xiao hu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In general all TCMA train the same methods punch, kick, seize control, throw the different styles emphasize each differently. The terms external and internal are less than 100 years old. The "internal" styles gained their reputation as being more or less softer or less conditioned than the "external" arts in the early part of the 20th century. The easy way to think of the training is they start on opposite ends to reach the same destination.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but while there is body conditioning in both, they focus on different things. Internal styles rely more on speed and flexibility, whereas external styles rely more on strength and power. The OPs video implies that those practicing internal Martial Arts need to train in strength and power conditioning in order to stand up to an opponent, which to me just isn't true. As I stated previously, if you are skilled enough in redirecting an opponent's energy, it doesn't matter how much stronger they are than you, their extra strength means nothing.

All I can tell you is my sifu does body weight exercises and has for many years. And if you look at Bagua training, traditionally, they will walk the circle with outstretched arms holding bricks. Stand in Santi shi for 20 minutes per side and you legs get stronger. Do your taiji form at the proper height you get stronger, do push ands and two person forms your legs and arms get stronger.

You are correct though, the approach is different. I guess one of the biggest differences is that IMA is not big on isolation exercises and EMA is.

In general all TCMA train the same methods punch, kick, seize control, throw the different styles emphasize each differently. The terms external and internal are less than 100 years old. The "internal" styles gained their reputation as being more or less softer or less conditioned than the "external" arts in the early part of the 20th century. The easy way to think of the training is they start on opposite ends to reach the same destination.

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Exactly, there is an old CMA saying that says internal goes to external and external goes to internal. That is of course, if they are trained correctly

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The OP doesn't understand what an internal martial art is and how it's properly trained.

Then you have that clip of him being blind folded and blocking a punch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It always matters if they are stronger than you. You can't even really have good technique unless you have enough strength to hold your body together properly.

Where this strength technique stuff comes up is efficient use of strength. Where in general you are using as much of your body against as little of theirs.

images

This at its most basic. But what people overlook is the conditioning it takes to be able to use your body effectively.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It always matters if they are stronger than you. You can't even really have good technique unless you have enough strength to hold your body together properly.

Where this strength technique stuff comes up is efficient use of strength. Where in general you are using as much of your body against as little of theirs.

images

This at its most basic. But what people overlook is the conditioning it takes to be able to use your body effectively.
I like that picture because that's how I defend against someone grabbing for my legs. The proper lifting position is what a good grappling shoot will get. I try to make grapplers look like the person the image that says "a very bad idea."

Internal arts are experts when it comes to doing the same thing. Many of their techniques makes their opponents move, lift, push, and pull in inefficient manners. It's like the techniques are always putting the opponent in the worst possible position to do something. One of the things you'll see is that the opponent always seems to be trying to readjust.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The proper lifting position is what a good grappling shoot while get. I try to make grapplers look like the person the image that says "a very bad idea."
If your opponent's head is

- down, you pull down on his back neck.
- up, you push back on his forehead.

You just use different counter.

downward_pulling.jpg

Latest Discussions