Internal = advanced in "hard" kungu and vicc

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
With all that blogging (talking) where do you find time to train? ;)

No matter the pace of the fight I aim to control my opponent at first touch, what the Japanese call kuzushi. Then I ride his "energy", if you will. So it is his speed or lack there of that dictates how fast I move. When he touches me he becomes part of me. I don't have to use speed to control him. Or conventional strength.

Agreed, but you still have to understand and at times use speed, if for nothing else to get out of the way. Slowly getting off the tracks as the train barrels at you is not healthy. From my background in Yang and my exposure to Chen, speed os part of it and must be understood.... your milage may vary. But don't forget Xingyiquan and Baguazhang are both considered internal and the approach is a bit different from Taijiquan

As for time and training, I get up at 5:00AM and have to be at work by 9:00AM and if I am lucky I get an hour in the evening. But currently, due to eye surgery, my workout and training are restricted for at least 2 more weeks. Trying to figure out al I want to do into my schedule when I can get back to it. hmm I feel a blog entry coming on.

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Aye, historically, the terms "internal" and "external" had more to do with arts deriving from within China and those without like Shaolin (if you buy the Da Mo story).

David Langford

White Belt
Reaction score
The way I was taught is pretty simple.

External is the stances, the footwork, the body movements, the combat application. Internal is the relaxed body, meditative state of mind, and powerful energy flow. Need both to be successful. :)

Hard and Soft...well, hard and soft can be both internal and external. Internal, flowing chi or consolidated chi. External, direct forceful movements or redirecting flowing movements.