Interesting video from the 1983 WTF World Championship

OP
C

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure. Can't seem to find a list of the old ruleset anywhere.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I cannot find a rules list as well
but as I recall.

The rounds were longer.
Only strikes using the front of the fist and foot were allowed. (like today)
Striking only to the torso. Only kicking to the head region (like today)
All sufficient blows only counted for one point. (As opposed to today where there are technical points and head shots are 3 points.)
All blows must produce "trembling shock" even to the head. (today even the slightest touch to the head is enough to score)
and though not technically a different rule, but punches did score more often back then.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Any one else think that this is much more exciting to watch than what's going on in comps today?

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
and though not technically a different rule, but punches did score more often back then.

I'm not sure about this. I trained at a WTF/KKW school for a couple of years in college and the instructor was a WTF international referee. He said that in 10 years of reffing he only scored 6 punches. That was on the national/international level so local tournaments maybe been different (although the ones we went to had virtually no punches scored).

Pax,

Chris

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this. I trained at a WTF/KKW school for a couple of years in college and the instructor was a WTF international referee. He said that in 10 years of reffing he only scored 6 punches. That was on the national/international level so local tournaments maybe been different (although the ones we went to had virtually no punches scored).

Pax,

Chris

Ha I actually think he may have only seen that many good punches. Even back then they were few and far between compared to great kicks.
As far as punching goes:
I admit I wasn't alive back then, but that's just what I was told.
According to my coaches, during their youth in Korea, punches were seen and scored more than today as they came up through middle school and high school/college taekwondo teams. That's as far as their tournament experience went.
There are some clips you can watch of late 80s early 90s matches where some punches are scored, but not enough to make a strong case or comparison from

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In my experience, there is obviously favoritism for kicks both on the judges and competitors end.

but even given no favoritism or bias, it would be difficult to score punches.

1. They ask for what I would call a good wallop of a punch.
-good contact on a light, snapping kick that hits with say 10 points as far as force goes, will probably score. but if you connect with a punch that would qualify as 10 points on that same force scale. They aren't going to
score it. You've got to nail em with that punch.
Any regular punches, that you can execute with speed and would normally do damage to maybe an
unprotected opponent or would certainly damage someone's face aren't going to cut it when hitting that chest
protector and hoping to score. They are wanting to see one of your heavier/heaviest punches
2. The chest protector.
-even if it didn't score a good body shot goes a long way. But it's difficult to enough compression through the
chest protector to give the desired effect on your opponent. Again UNLESS you're throwing one of your
heavier punches and nail em.
3. The punch must connect to the front of the torso WITH A STRAIGHT OR MOSTLY STRAIGHT ARM to score.
-as if it wasn't difficult enough to deliver decent power with speed through the chest protector and hopefully score, they want to see you connect with a straight punch to the front of the body. So no hooks.
4. Distance.
-This straight arm things pretty much eliminates close range punches. It sets you at a distance that still leaves
room for your opponents kicks.

Grounding yourself enough or exploding forward enough to deliver a powerful straight punch to the front of your opponents body, through the chest protector hoping to do damage or score, all the while they are trying to kick you in the face or anywhere else is just too great a risk for most. To pull it off: the timing, distance, and pre/post movement would have to be really well executed, or else you'd pay the price. Lots of guys dont want to take the time to train for that.

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I meant to add those chest protectors of yesteryear were far softer and less stiff than those of today.
Punches are just plain less effective on modern hogus.
Though today's are comparatively thinner than the old ones with thicker, softer padding. They are stiffer and more like a taught drum. Making the compression difficult.
You can definitely penetrate a lot more through the older 3 dot style hogus and punches can hurt.
Perhaps another reason why we've seen them fade away.

Latest Discussions