Interesting Video Clip

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. What's the purpose of the spoken parts? Just to focus your intent (and maybe use something in english rather than yelling "shout"?) :)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting concept. I like the idea of contiunally trying to withdraw even as one is attacking. This is a very good strategy from a legal point of view. Witnesses certainly are going to hear a certain message.

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
He has clearly added some concepts from the RMCAT and F.A.S.T. First of all he is using a modification of ready stance for streets that is less aggressive than a typical fighting stance yet leaves the hands and body in a better position to defend then just standing straight on.

Secondly he is using open hands strikes to the face, due to the significant risk of injury to the hands when striking with fists to the face.

Thirdly the word stopit would have to two functions.The first as noted above is put your actions as being more defensive for witness. The other reason is that people under stress hold their breath and verbalizing or even growling or screaming prevents you from holding your breath.

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I can see the legality of continually telling the person to stop as you pummel them. That way witnesses can testify that you were continually asking the person to stop.

Vic
www.combatartsusa.com

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Giving a command and reinforcing it with pain is a common technique, I believe--LEOs use it too.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Connovar said:
Thirdly the word stopit would have to two functions.The first as noted above is put your actions as being more defensive for witness. The other reason is that people under stress hold their breath and verbalizing or even growling or screaming prevents you from holding your breath.

Great... if I am ever attacked I can scream like a little girl... afterwords I can claim it was really only so I wouldnt hold my breath!

:D

Lobo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Interesting concept. I like the idea of contiunally trying to withdraw even as one is attacking. This is a very good strategy from a legal point of view. Witnesses certainly are going to hear a certain message.

yeah, i'll have to agree with you. Beat the crap out of the guy, act as if your fighting for you survival by saying "stop it", even though you may possess knowledge and experience far greater than his. HaHa, don't be surprised if you see some guy hitting some bystander and shouting "stop it"!

TaiChiTJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It truly is an interesting video clip. The self protection actions were ok by me, except for real quickly towards the end the attacker grabs him near his neck, or on his shoulders near his neck or something. I can't tell if its a choke or what. His response was to remove his attackers hands with his own hands. Against a big, strong, powerful grip that might be hard to achieve.

I say "attack with your armpit", by shooting your arm directly across the front of your body, above the attackers arms. Get the attackers hands and fingers clinched between your body and arm. Then sink and spin.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That black belt female looked pretty sharp. I was a little hung up on the instructor having both hands down on one tech, but thats to be expected.
Sean

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I was a little hung up on the instructor having both hands down on one tech,

Just as an FYI thats Hayes, just in case you were unaware.

Touch Of Death said:
That black belt female looked pretty sharp.

Whenever I have seen Stephen Hayes and Rumiko doing stuff on video, I always thought she looked better than him. But it could be the fact that often he is talking/demonstrating, and shes just doing techniques.

Cyber Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
What the ...??? I am truly at a loss for words.

Mrs. Hayes does appear to be the sharpest one of the bunch.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hayes has been working with this concept for a while. I went to a seminar back in '92 or '93 which combined his go-dai techniques with phrases like "Stop!"

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Whenever I have seen Stephen Hayes and Rumiko doing stuff on video, I always thought she looked better than him. But it could be the fact that often he is talking/demonstrating, and shes just doing techniques.

I have trained with them on a few occasions and I can say from experience that Rumiko is considerably better than Stephen, her movement is more natural.

Markk Bush
www.bujinmag.com

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have trained a lot with both Steve and Rumiko. I would much rather have Steve backing me up in bar fight so to speak. Rumiko has good technique but Steve has both the power and technique and I have seen him use it.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Connovar said:
I have trained a lot with both Steve and Rumiko. I would much rather have Steve backing me up in bar fight so to speak. Rumiko has good technique but Steve has both the power and technique and I have seen him use it.

Apparently you have never been hit good by Rumiko. lol, Either way, good luck with that.

Markk Bush

Latest Discussions