Interesting take on the first UFC

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting, but wildly inaccurate. Fast Billy has a long standing axe to grind concerning UFC 1.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sure the story of Royce using his gi to choke out Ken Shamrock was thoroughly debunked.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... I remember watching UFC 1. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Wait... it was.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does to some, because they think that using the gi would mean that Royce cheated even though it was allowed.
The argument is that shamrock wasn't allowes his shoes because they were considered a weapon despite just being clothing, and then royce went around and used his own clothing as a weapon.

For the record, I haven't watched OP's video yet, and really don't care if shamrock fan's complaints are legit, just stating the argument for those who don't know.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
The argument is that shamrock wasn't allowes his shoes because they were considered a weapon despite just being clothing, and then royce went around and used his own clothing as a weapon.

For the record, I haven't watched OP's video yet, and really don't care if shamrock fan's complaints are legit, just stating the argument for those who don't know.
I'm not a shamrock or Gracie fan (ken not Frank. I actually like Frank) but the first UFCs were definitely made to help the Gracies so I can totally believe that claim

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a shamrock or Gracie fan (ken not Frank. I actually like Frank) but the first UFCs were definitely made to help the Gracies so I can totally believe that claim
Yup. I would not be surprised to find out they gave shamrock a disadvantage in the fight. It just doesn't effect me all that much if they did or not. Especially if they had even the slightest concern that he would win.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Headhunter said:
What can you expect if one Gracie was organizer/promoter and second was participant? Especially if only the Gracies (and maybe Ken) had idea how the fights will probably look like. UFC was a part of Gracies business plan so the took care to minimaze the risk.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Of course they were. The only people who would deny this are Gracie-worshippers.

That said, I can't say that them doing that was nefarious in any way. Royce could have very easily lost any of those matches, and if Rorian Gracie really wanted to ensure that they win out, he would have brought in Rickson instead of Royce. Further, it isn't like much changed in the next few UFCs after people knew what Royce was doing.