Interesting podcast - Managing Violence Podcast

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sharing - Interesting podcast...managing violence podcast. Interviews with topic experts such as
S2. Ep. 1: Ellis Amdur - Psychotherapist, Martial Artist, Crisis Intervention Trainer & Author
and
S1. Ep. 7: Matt Larsen - Father of Modern Army Combatives
and
S1. Ep. 4: Rory Miller - Author
and others.

Have only listened so far to the Ellis Amdur episode. Enjoyed it.

‎Managing Violence Podcast on Apple Podcasts

Regards
Brian King

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Listened to the introduction (and part of the first episode episode) on my way home from work, definitely planning to listen to all of it. Honestly, I would listen to a podcast of the host just going through his experiences and what he's learned from it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a side note, I laughed out loud (it is not a comedy podcast), at the point where he's discussing who the podcast is for, and says "...I say that with all due respect, but regular people don't click on images that say violence management podcast". Possibly the truest statement I've heard on a podcast.

OP
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Season 1 episodes 1-3 decided me on not subscribing, that said the Rory Miller episode (#4) was good. Episode 5 seems ok so far. Will keep this podcast on watch list for the interviews but not subscribe.
Brian

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 1 episodes 1-3 decided me on not subscribing, that said the Rory Miller episode (#4) was good. Episode 5 seems ok so far. Will keep this podcast on watch list for the interviews but not subscribe.
Brian
What were your issues with those episodes? Is there false info in them, or just not your speed?

OP
Brian King

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@kempodisciple
I am super time sensitive now days. For example I spend 25 minutes a week on facebook. Martial talk gets even less. I listen to podcasts and audible books all day long. Most podcasts I have to pay attention to and follow along, same with the books. Sometimes my bandwidth is full (time to implement or explore learning) During the absorption period I like brain candy (western or mystery books on audible and martial art podcasts) One of my pet martial podcast (and forum) peeves is when the host or guests make statements like "All teaching was/is this way, all the schools teach this or never taught that" sort of comments. In the case of this podcast they are tied into a style that came about in the 1990's and they keep saying how they did this when no other style was even addressing the issue, they make assumptions based on their own biases that are not conclusive but they represent them as if they are. The host is coming from a mindset that has its place but is a VERY small part of our world but a VERY big part in his. I am of the opinion that when people get too self absorbed and work at creating an echo chamber, it is unhealthy to associate or give to much time to those people/groups. The host seems to be coming from an aggressive mindset and appears stuck there. Listen to podcast episode 2 and then episode 4 with Rory. Listen to the difference between the host and Rory the guest. They are talking about the same subject matter mostly but from a different place of being. One is normal and one is stuck in the almost fanatical persona of a new crossfit recruit or someone that has quit smoking and insists that everyone else must, I don't have time or bandwidth to ingest that type of energy. I will listen to a few more of the interview episodes but I don't think I will listen all the way thru depending on the guest.
Your mileage may very and I am sure the host is a good person who has picked an interesting subject matter. What do you think of the podcast episodes you have listened to?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@kempodisciple
I am super time sensitive now days. For example I spend 25 minutes a week on facebook. Martial talk gets even less. I listen to podcasts and audible books all day long. Most podcasts I have to pay attention to and follow along, same with the books. Sometimes my bandwidth is full (time to implement or explore learning) During the absorption period I like brain candy (western or mystery books on audible and martial art podcasts) One of my pet martial podcast (and forum) peeves is when the host or guests make statements like "All teaching was/is this way, all the schools teach this or never taught that" sort of comments. In the case of this podcast they are tied into a style that came about in the 1990's and they keep saying how they did this when no other style was even addressing the issue, they make assumptions based on their own biases that are not conclusive but they represent them as if they are. The host is coming from a mindset that has its place but is a VERY small part of our world but a VERY big part in his. I am of the opinion that when people get too self absorbed and work at creating an echo chamber, it is unhealthy to associate or give to much time to those people/groups. The host seems to be coming from an aggressive mindset and appears stuck there. Listen to podcast episode 2 and then episode 4 with Rory. Listen to the difference between the host and Rory the guest. They are talking about the same subject matter mostly but from a different place of being. One is normal and one is stuck in the almost fanatical persona of a new crossfit recruit or someone that has quit smoking and insists that everyone else must, I don't have time or bandwidth to ingest that type of energy. I will listen to a few more of the interview episodes but I don't think I will listen all the way thru depending on the guest.
Your mileage may very and I am sure the host is a good person who has picked an interesting subject matter. What do you think of the podcast episodes you have listened to?

This that you said -

"The host is coming from a mindset that has its place but is a VERY small part of our world but a VERY big part in his."

That was a great thought.

Latest Discussions