Interesting Article

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
there is an article in the newest issue of Black Belt (DEC 2003/David Carradine on the cover) written by Scott Sonnon on the use of aspects of the ROSS system to enhance mental preparedness. It's primarily devoted to psychological preparation for a sport/match environment. The format of the article bears a resemblance in structure to a military operations order but the language is colorful and there are some useful tips even for those who don't do the competitive combat arts scene.

andy

P

pknox

Sounds interesting - I'll look for it. Is the December issue out already? The year is definitely flying by.

P

pknox

Checked it out today. Excellent piece. For some reason I expected it to go into more detail about ROSS, but the fact that the information presented could be used by any stylist makes it even more useful.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pknox - Although I have yet to read the article, I can understand why you seem to have enjoyed it. When 'technique' sequence cataloging becomes unimportant - and the reasons for the 'movement' supercede it - you will find that the methodology and principles of what we refer to as RMA are applicable to MA in general.
The 'R' is a reminder of its origin but it applies in a global understanding of MA as well.

P

pknox

NYCRonin - an excellent point. Mr. Sonnon basically echoes your point in the article, when he states, on the very first page:

Note that ROSS is a system of combatative personal enhancement, not a specific style of fighting.

I think that at least part of the reason why the article was written was to let non-RMA stylists realize that the ROSS approach has value to them regardless of what system they study. If that was in fact the case, than I believe that goal was fully achieved.

Latest Discussions