Interesting Article on a UFC fighters opinion on Sparring

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You're just don't have enough experience that's why you couldn't tell think that there weren't any full power punches in those videos. How many months have you been training in this 1st ever, MMA gym that you signed up with? About 3-6 months, tops?

And you still seem to think that full power means to throw every single strike at full power. I already told you that nobody does this, not even in fights in the ring, unless it's a quick knockout or fights that doesn't go over 1 round.

The first video with the KO, certainly had full power punches as he was clearly loading up his body. I sparred with both of them and know what their full power is.

I've boxed since I was 12 bud.

New gym, not new experience.

and no Im not saying thats what full power means.

But its no mystery that in the videos of pros sparring, they arent going for the KO.

Your Gym "in the hood" comment is laughable,

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

If you spar more than once in a great while, whatever manner of sparring, rolling, knifing, wrestling, whatever - in the world of contact training and/or competition, and/or self defense, the importance of your sparring program should be paramount. It should be conducted in a professional, hence, safe manner. I don't care if it's a boxing gym, a dojo, a club or a garage, if you don't know how to do it safely and the person in charge doesn't know the difference between all manners of sparring, you have a problem on your hands. A big problem.

Look to those who do it best, anywhere in the world. Listen to them.
Intenionally trying to KO a sparring partner won't be found in their world.

I just showed you a video of a guy getting KO'ed by a Pro Boxer. And this gym has World Champion Title Holders in Boxing, training there. And this isn't even a top gym or anything. Then next, there's the video of 2 fighters sparring from Mayweather's gym trying to knock each others head off. That's just one of many similar videos from there....I just didn't feel like linking that many. Mayweather, the top Boxer of the world for many years now and just made $180,000,000.00 for just 1 fight..... his gym, not high level?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've boxed since I was 12 bud.

You must be an awesome Boxer. What's your fight record in Boxing?

New gym, not new experience.

How many months at this new gym? Right before that, you were in Krav Maga for under 2 years.

and no Im not saying thats what full power means.

Then tell me, what does full power means and what does sparring up to throwing full power means?

But its no mystery that in the videos of pros sparring, they arent going for the KO.

Say what? The first video showed the guy getting KO'ed. CGI?

Your Gym "in the hood" comment is laughable,

Never been to one right?

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You must be an awesome Boxer. What's your fight record in Boxing?

How many months at this new gym? Right before that, you were in Krav Maga for under 2 years.

Then tell me, what does full power means and what does sparring up to throwing full power means?

Say what? The first video showed the guy getting KO'ed. CGI?

Never been to one right?

as a minor, 10-3, as an adult 3-0

never touched krav, but whatever you wanna think

Idk why you keep going to full power when in videos of any high level pro sparring, they arent hitting their partner near as hard as an opponent...

Nobody got ko'ed in your "intense sparring" or tyson video.

ams knocking each other out just shows a gyms irresponsibility

and actually I grew up in Indinapolis' ghetto. Most of my boxing training, came from a gym in the ghetto.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
as a minor, 10-3, as an adult 3-0

never touched krav, but whatever you wanna think

We'll see I guess.

Idk why you keep going to full power when in videos of any high level pro sparring, they arent hitting their partner near as hard as an opponent...

You just can't see it then.

Nobody got ko'ed in your "intense sparring" or tyson video.

I said "The first video....", this would imply the first video I posted...which would mean post #14.

ams knocking each other out just shows a gyms irresponsibility

and actually I grew up in Indinapolis' ghetto. Most of my boxing training, came from a gym in the ghetto.

You still haven't told me what sparring with up to full power means.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ooh, add me too. I've trained and sparred with World Champion and Legend, Ernesto Hoost

But what does this mean really? Absolutely nothing, other than dropping names. He went light and I didn't dare go hard. While if I spar against someone my equal skill level and it's agreed upon that it's "HARD SPARRING", then I'm going to try to knock him out. Do I spar hard and try to KO Noobs and Women? No. I usually tell them that they can go full power but I won't, just so I can get a good work out in.

Go to a Boxing gym in the 'hood. It's common for coaches to feed Noobs to experienced fighters, who are training for an upcoming fight, to get their confidence up by knocking them the "freak" out. Win-Win situation.....the fighters gets a moving punching bag to work on while the Coach finds out which noob serious and/or has heart. Weeds out the noobs real fast. You guys never been to a gym in the 'hood before, have you....and I'm not talking about the Cardio Boxing class, but for the sparring. They don't play around.

The dropping of names is more a point of reference than anything else. I've only been to boxing gyms in what you call the hood. I have never, ever seen a coach feed a noob to an experienced fighter. I don't even know, or know OF, an experienced fighter that would eat up a noob, never mind try to knock him out. And to get their confidence up? C'mon, man, you know that doesn't happen.
And you don't find out anything about a noob's heart by having him get fed to an experienced fighter. And no, they don't "play around", they train as professionals train.

But, I do appreciate and applaud what you said first, about not going hard with noobs and ladies.

And it must have been a blast working with Hoost. I wouldn't have dared gone hard with him either. :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The dropping of names is more a point of reference than anything else. I've only been to boxing gyms in what you call the hood. I have never, ever seen a coach feed a noob to an experienced fighter. I don't even know, or know OF, an experienced fighter that would eat up a noob, never mind try to knock him out. And to get their confidence up? C'mon, man, you know that doesn't happen.
And you don't find out anything about a noob's heart by having him get fed to an experienced fighter. And no, they don't "play around", they train as professionals train.

Haha, I must be seeing things then when I see noobs getting KO'ed. Or when I visited Sugar Ray's gyms in da 'hood....I get dropped so many times and have to stop sparring for about 3-4 weeks to recover. It must be my imagination...imagination so good that I was feeling it all over. ;)

But, I do appreciate and applaud what you said first, about not going hard with noobs and ladies.

And it must have been a blast working with Hoost. I wouldn't have dared gone hard with him either. :)

Thanks bro, you're the best :D

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
...notice, I not petty to report people when they hurl insults. Not saying that it's you, since I don't really know who these petty people are.
??? What?

That's the choice that people make. It's their choice..
Correct. Not arguing that.
But being that you brought it up...; just because one chooses to do a particular thing doesn't make it a good choice or that it is the best way.
No one way is the best however some are better than others depending upon the desired results... Short term as well as long term.

You're not the final authority on what constitutes correct training. If you're scared of neurological disorders or getting hit hard to spar full power for KO's, that's fine by me. I'm not forcing you. Just don't tell me that only your way is the correct one.
I never stated I was and never stated my way is the only correct one. I simply stated a particular way, in my opinion, is foolish. Nothing personal.

I'm scared of heights, that's why I don't skydive as a sport. Plenty of people are scared of getting punched repeatedly in the face as a sport, that's why not everyone's a fighter in an MMA or even Boxing gym.
I agree somewhat. There are plenty of people who are scared of being punched in the face. Some aren't scared but simply don't like it.
I see and have seen a lot of beginners who have learned to over come their fear of being hit but still never become a fighter. Others never fight in a competition but are fighters non the less. Some over come the fear and do become fighters. There are those who come in wanting to fight, wanting to prove themselves. Of them some are just bullies wanting to showoff (they don't last long) others become fighters. Of those who become fighters most never get higher than local or regional level. Every now and then we have the few who become state champions, title holders, some become pros. Of those who become pros again some are local event pros. Every now and then there is one or two who become high level making it into the high ranks of professionals in Boxing, Grappling, MMA, Muay Thai.
For the most part those who get to the high levels and stay there are usually well trained, highly disciplined, athletes who train hard and train smart.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speaking as the old fool that I am, I'll tell you one thing I'd cut off a finger for if I could change. I would eliminate three quarters, if not more, of the hard head contact I've been through. Everytime I forget something, which we all do as we age, I say to myself, "Uh oh". It's kind of scary.

I run into so many guys I used to box with that don't speak too clearly anymore. Makes me want to cry.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Correct. Not arguing that.
But being that you brought it up...; just because one chooses to do a particular thing doesn't make it a good choice or that it is the best way.
No one way is the best however some are better than others depending upon the desired results... Short term as well as long term.

Just your opinion and I don't agree.

I agree somewhat. There are plenty of people who are scared of being punched in the face. Some aren't scared but simply don't like it.

It's still fear, and therefore being scared. Whether being scared of long term brain damage, etc. it's still being scared. And fear always exists. If you say that you're never scared or hardly ever scared, then you've definitely not sparred hard for KO's enough or at all. I certainly fear those who can beat me down, every time I spar hard vs. them....and it's usually mostly about me surviving until the bell rings.

For the most part those who get to the high levels and stay there are usually well trained, highly disciplined, athletes who train hard and train smart.

It still includes sparring hard for KO's, like this one:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I have no problem with that kind of sparring at all. Not really hard, just another day in the boxing gym.
Keep your hands up, fellas. :)

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

It's still fear, and therefore being scared. Whether being scared of long term brain damage, etc. it's still being scared. And fear always exists. If you say that you're never scared or hardly ever scared, then you've definitely not sparred hard for KO's enough or at all. I certainly fear those who can beat me down, every time I spar hard vs. them....and it's usually mostly about me surviving until the bell rings.

How exactly is this "sparring for Ko's?" Heck when a fighter was on the ropes, the other fighter was pulling a lot of power out of his punches.

Thats definitely not "Sparring for a Ko"

Above is a video of Tyson in a match, throwing punches for knockouts.

Below is your own video of him sparring. Theres a pretty decent discrepancy in power in all the punches.

Why?

Cause Tyson (one of the greatest modern boxers) was sparring hard like boxers do, not fighting a match which someone in a training session.

Even pros arent trying to Ko their partner.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you are saying that when one chooses to do something it is always good and is the best to do?
And there is only one way to do something, never different ways. Nor are some ways being better than others?
Interesting.

It's still fear, and therefore being scared.
Not liking something is fear?
To like means -
: to enjoy something
: to get pleasure from something
: to feel affection for someone or something
Just wanting to understand. Are you saying to not like something, to not enjoy or get pleasure from something means one is in fear of it?

Whether being scared of long term brain damage, etc. it's still being scared. And fear always exists.
Agreed and many of us feel one can train well, be well prepared though good training with hard sparring being a part of it but without trying to ko each other. Again sometimes because we are going hard ko's do happen but not because we are trying to get a ko.

If you say that you're never scared or hardly ever scared, then you've definitely not sparred hard for KO's enough or at all.
OK. I never said I wasn't scared.
You said I was scared and that I was not well trained because I did not spar to get a ko.

You also said, "Plenty of people are scared of getting punched repeatedly in the face as a sport, that's why not everyone's a fighter in an MMA or even Boxing gym." ( I agreed with you.)
You even said of yourself, "I'm scared of heights, that's why I don't skydive as a sport."

You admit are scared.
"I certainly fear those who can beat me down, every time I spar hard vs. them....and it's usually mostly about me surviving until the bell rings".

Please bear with me
If I don't spar to ko I'm scared, poorly trained, and not very good.
You spar to ko so you are scared, well trained, and it's mostly about surviving.

Oookay. Interesting perspective.

Some good sparring, no ko. Hard, respectful, no ko. No one hurt and can train hard again tomorrow.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have no problem with that kind of sparring at all. Not really hard, just another day in the boxing gym.
Keep your hands up, fellas. :)

Haha, so now you're saying that this is not hard sparring when they're clearly trying to KO each other:

And Danny T. agrees with you yet vehemently calls it "foolish" in other posts.

Most things the two of you say, don't add up.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How exactly is this "sparring for Ko's?" Heck when a fighter was on the ropes, the other fighter was pulling a lot of power out of his punches.

Thats definitely not "Sparring for a Ko"

I clearly told you, the 1st video in post #14. If you can't understand what this means, then I doubt I can help you.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you are saying that when one chooses to do something it is always good and is the best to do?
And there is only one way to do something, never different ways. Nor are some ways being better than others?
Interesting.

Nice try, but good for different reasons. I already told you it is about taking risks. And you just agreed with Buka in post #51 that this isn't hard sparring for KO's:

Not liking something is fear?
To like means -
: to enjoy something
: to get pleasure from something
: to feel affection for someone or something
Just wanting to understand. Are you saying to not like something, to not enjoy or get pleasure from something means one is in fear of it?

In your case, I'm pretty sure. Most people who try very hard to argue that they don't fear hard sparring, usually are very afraid.

Agreed and many of us feel one can train well, be well prepared though good training with hard sparring being a part of it but without trying to ko each other. Again sometimes because we are going hard ko's do happen but not because we are trying to get a ko.

The video above is 2 guys trying to knock each others heads off and you agreed with Buka that it was fine to spar like that. I don't know you personally, but what you continue to say gives me the feeling that you've never sparred for KO's before, so definitely, no full contact fights.

OK. I never said I wasn't scared.
You said I was scared and that I was not well trained because I did not spar to get a ko.

I don't think I said that you weren't well trained....because this can mean a lot of things. However fighting full contact, this I believe, you never have.

You also said, "Plenty of people are scared of getting punched repeatedly in the face as a sport, that's why not everyone's a fighter in an MMA or even Boxing gym." ( I agreed with you.)
You even said of yourself, "I'm scared of heights, that's why I don't skydive as a sport."

You admit are scared.
"I certainly fear those who can beat me down, every time I spar hard vs. them....and it's usually mostly about me surviving until the bell rings".

Please bear with me
If I don't spar to ko I'm scared, poorly trained, and not very good.

Probably, yes.

You spar to ko so you are scared, well trained, and it's mostly about surviving.

Oookay. Interesting perspective.

It would depend on whom I spar with.

Some good sparring, no ko. Hard, respectful, no ko. No one hurt and can train hard again tomorrow.

Hard sparring to you, just not to me.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, Good Hard Sparring. I agree with Buka. No ko. But hard & respectful. No one hurt and can train again tomorrow. Good Sparring.
I Agree with good hard sparring.
I am referring to the video I agreed with Buka on. Why do you not consider it good hard sparring?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your case, I'm pretty sure. Most people who try very hard to argue that they don't fear hard sparring, usually are very afraid.

I would very much like to see the study from which this conclusion is drawn.
If you can't provide one, you could just admit that you made it up.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Haha, so now you're saying that this is not hard sparring when they're clearly trying to KO each other:

And Danny T. agrees with you yet vehemently calls it "foolish" in other posts.

Most things the two of you say, don't add up.

Ah. It takes me a while to catch on sometimes. C'est la vie.

Have a nice day, kid.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I clearly told you, the 1st video in post #14. If you can't understand what this means, then I doubt I can help you.

I know.

I used those videos because they were vids you posted that counteract your whole point, heck you just said they were "Trying to ko" each other

They clearly arent, or they wouldnt have let each other of the ropes, eased up attacks when they werent defending as well, etc.

Latest Discussions