Interesting Article on a UFC fighters opinion on Sparring

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard sparring? Yes
Sparring for KO? No
Can it happen, does it happen? Yes
As to the examples Friedrice showed first two are very low level participants and lack control. The Mayweather gym, Floyd brags about how to get in his gym you have to prove yourself. Very few of his guys become good fighters.
The Mike Tyson sparring session was a good session by seasoned well trained boxers who worked hard but with respect for each other.

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

The majority of the punches thrown in both vids have good control. Proving again, that theres a line between hard sparring to sparring like its a bout

He has no issue with me sparring hard....that point went straight over your head

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The majority of the punches thrown in both vids have good control. Proving again, that theres a line between hard sparring to sparring like its a bout

He has no issue with me sparring hard....that point went straight over your head

You obviously never fought before. They are sparring to KO each other and throwing bombs. This "good control" that you're referring to is how trained and experienced fighters, fight AND spar. Since you've never fought and is a newbie, you think that fighting in the ring is going crazy like in a streetfight. It could be sometimes, but most of the time, it's being relaxed & controlled....conserving energy and not gassing out.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hard sparring? Yes
Sparring for KO? No
Can it happen, does it happen? Yes
As to the examples Friedrice showed first two are very low level participants and lack control.

Incorrect, the Black guy in the first video is a Pro Boxer. He was just playing with the other guy, who is low level. But they don't care in most Boxing gyms....like I told you. You don't spar hard that's why this is so foreign to you.

The Mayweather gym, Floyd brags about how to get in his gym you have to prove yourself. Very few of his guys become good fighters.

Define these "good fighters" that you're talking about.

The Mike Tyson sparring session was a good session by seasoned well trained boxers who worked hard but with respect for each other.

While trying to knock each other the hell out.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting that Friedrice finds John Kavanagh funny, a coach who has train several UFC fighters is amusing to him.
Sparring yes, hard sparring yes, aiming to KO no, why risk the payday, if a fighter is KO'd then they fail the medical so no fight.
What It Takes to Be a UFC Fighter

Incorrect, I found it funny how you like to drop names and casually slip in how you know him....kind of like "sitting typing at the keyboard wearing Tapout tshirts and fight shorts I imagine.". But hey, those who don't fight nor coach, can always be a Helper Coach.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only MMA gym I'm aware of where it is/was standard practice to regularly go for the KO in sparring is Pat Miletich's gym. Apparently they got plenty of injuries and knockouts in their regular sparring. I'm sure there are probably other places that do the same, but that's the highest profile gym I know of which subscribes to that philosophy.

Most places have better sense than that. It's true that professional fighters generally go harder than amateurs and amateur fighters go harder than non-fighters. However most experienced fighters recognize that sparring is preparation for a fight - not an actual fight.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect, I found it funny how you like to drop names and casually slip in how you know him....kind of like "sitting typing at the keyboard wearing Tapout tshirts and fight shorts I imagine.". But hey, those who don't fight nor coach, can always be a Helper Coach.

Focus :D:D

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting that someone disagrees with you on training/sparring so that means they are scared and have never sparred hard.
Incorrect, the Black guy in the first video is a Pro Boxer. He was just playing with the other guy, who is low level. But they don't care in most Boxing gyms....like I told you. You don't spar hard that's why this is so foreign to you.
So he's a pro fighter... there are a lot of 'pro' fighters who aren't good.
Hard sparring Foreign to me? Hard sparring isn't foreign nor is foolish training.
You want to spar to KO, do it.
The real professionals with long careers train, spar smart and are not punch drunk bums when their careers are over.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The only MMA gym I'm aware of where it is/was standard practice to regularly go for the KO in sparring is Pat Miletich's gym. Apparently they got plenty of injuries and knockouts in their regular sparring. I'm sure there are probably other places that do the same, but that's the highest profile gym I know of which subscribes to that philosophy.

Most places have better sense than that. It's true that professional fighters generally go harder than amateurs and amateur fighters go harder than non-fighters. However most experienced fighters recognize that sparring is preparation for a fight - not an actual fight.

In general, any kind of hard sparring can KO you. It's just a good shot that landed well. They don't even call it "sparring for KO" or even hard sparring, at a Boxing gym....it's just "sparring".

MMA is different because even with the MMA 7oz sparring gloves, you can break noses and cause cuts much easier than 16oz Boxing gloves. And you can't ground & pound someone with full elbows or full knees, even with padding on. There's also more care to not rip someone's ACL off during grappling, but it still happens and that's what I fear more than getting KO'ed. But with the 16oz, there's also the same hard sparring. Just that Boxing gyms goes hard, way more regularly. Not all the time, but it certainly seems that way when I visit the sparring class at Boxing gyms.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting that someone disagrees with you on training/sparring so that means they are scared and have never sparred hard.

I'm just going by how hysterical you got when I merely said that most Boxing gyms spars hard for the KO, often. I didn't even say, all the time neither. Not only did you not believe that this happens often, but ever at all.

So he's a pro fighter... there are a lot of 'pro' fighters who aren't good.

Yeah no kidding, but he's a lot better than you or what you're used to. But since you're not well trained, at least in Boxing, you can't tell that this guy that you called "very low level participants and lack control" in the first video...was actually very controlled and deliberate with his punches.

Can you tell me what kind of fighter the Black guy is, based on that video?

Hard sparring Foreign to me? Hard sparring isn't foreign nor is foolish training.
You want to spar to KO, do it.

Hard sparring is sparring up to full, 100% power. 70% power can KO, and it's not even hard sparring yet. 70% power sparring also hurts, a lot. This must mean that you haven't sparred at 70% neither.

The real professionals with long careers train, spar smart and are not punch drunk bums when their careers are over.

Have you heard of Muhammad Ali.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation polite, and respectful. Debate the post, not the poster.

jks9199
Administrator

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just going by how hysterical you got when I merely said that most Boxing gyms spars hard for the KO, often. I didn't even say, all the time neither. Not only did you not believe that this happens often, but ever at all.

Yeah no kidding, but he's a lot better than you or what you're used to. But since you're not well trained, at least in Boxing, you can't tell that this guy that you called "very low level participants and lack control" in the first video...was actually very controlled and deliberate with his punches.

Can you tell me what kind of fighter the Black guy is, based on that video?

Hard sparring is sparring up to full, 100% power. 70% power can KO, and it's not even hard sparring yet. 70% power sparring also hurts, a lot. This must mean that you haven't sparred at 70% neither.

Have you heard of Muhammad Ali.
Hysterical? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Uncontrolled extreme emotion or excitement??
What you wrote was; "The bigger problem is that there's not enough sparring. Even less so for hard sparring in trying to KO your partners."
I wrote; "If you are sparring to KO your partners you are an egotistical fool. Sparring is about learning and keeping yourself or training partners sharp. It is not about knocking your partners out or seeing how much damage you can take. Those who do aren't in the fight game for long while spending the rest of their lives with neurological disorders." That isn't being hysterical and I stand behind what I wrote. It is foolish to and poor training to work to KO in training.
I've also agreed with you in that sparring hard in training is important. However, Hard Sparring does not need to be to a KO. This is where we seem to disagree.
Do KOs happen? Yes. I even wrote in post #21; "can it happen, does it happen? Yes." (you may have missed that)
So we disagree and that means I've never trained hard, sparred hard, nor am I well trained. Ok.
Sorry about this hysterical rant.

Oh and yes, I believe I have heard of Muhammad Ali a time or two.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hysterical? That's a bit of a stretch don't you think? Uncontrolled extreme emotion or excitement??
I wrote; "If you are sparring to KO your partners you are an egotistical fool.

IMO, this is being hysterical. And notice, I not petty to report people when they hurl insults. Not saying that it's you, since I don't really know who these petty people are.

Sparring is about learning and keeping yourself or training partners sharp. It is not about knocking your partners out or seeing how much damage you can take.

It can be all of the above. I just showed you videos of people getting KO'ed and going for the KO with full power shots. Boxing is not your TMA tap sparring.

Those who do aren't in the fight game for long while spending the rest of their lives with neurological disorders." That isn't being hysterical and I stand behind what I wrote. It is foolish to and poor training to work to KO in training.

That's the choice that people make. It's their choice. You're not the final authority on what constitutes correct training. If you're scared of neurological disorders or getting hit hard to spar full power for KO's, that's fine by me. I'm not forcing you. Just don't tell me that only your way is the correct one. I'm scared of heights, that's why I don't skydive as a sport. Plenty of people are scared of getting punched repeatedly in the face as a sport, that's why not everyone's a fighter in an MMA or even Boxing gym.

I've also agreed with you in that sparring hard in training is important. However, Hard Sparring does not need to be to a KO. This is where we seem to disagree.

"Hard Sparring", varies from gym to gym. Hard sparring to you, probably only means medium sparring to me and most Boxing gyms....where hard sparring means throwing punches up to 100% power. Regular sparring to us, usually means up to 70% power, but it often spikes to 100% power when someone gets mad. But at 70% power, it still hurts and you still can get KO'ed if you get caught. That's why I like to say, sparring for KO, in order to not be ambiguous as lots of gyms have various definitions.

Do KOs happen? Yes. I even wrote in post #21; "can it happen, does it happen? Yes." (you may have missed that)
So we disagree and that means I've never trained hard, sparred hard, nor am I well trained. Ok.
Sorry about this hysterical rant.

We disagree on what "hard sparring" means. That's why I like to say, "sparring for KO", which makes it crystal clear. The first time I went to that gym in my first video up top for sparring class, I asked the Coach "how hard are we going?"....He said, just "pace yourself, this kid is a fighter, he can take it"......I was like WTF does that mean (inside my head)? Bell rings, and this kid, a fighter....whacks me with a full overhand right so hard that I start seeing stars. So I put him down. No problem w/the Coach at all...but see how ambiguous this is if I were to come to your gym and you said "hard sparring"? To me, that would mean your guy(s) will be trying to KO me so I better get them first.

Oh and yes, I believe I have heard of Muhammad Ali a time or two.

Well then, by your arguments, he shouldn't be having all of his "neurological disorders", yes?

OP
D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
IMO, this is being hysterical. And notice, I not petty to report people when they hurl insults. Not saying that it's you, since I don't really know who these petty people are.

It can be all of the above. I just showed you videos of people getting KO'ed and going for the KO with full power shots. Boxing is not your TMA tap sparring.

That's the choice that people make. It's their choice. You're not the final authority on what constitutes correct training. If you're scared of neurological disorders or getting hit hard to spar full power for KO's, that's fine by me. I'm not forcing you. Just don't tell me that only your way is the correct one. I'm scared of heights, that's why I don't skydive as a sport. Plenty of people are scared of getting punched repeatedly in the face as a sport, that's why not everyone's a fighter in an MMA or even Boxing gym.

Rice, all 3 of us TRAIN in MMA/boxing gyms, with MMA fighters and Boxers.

Again, the pro videos you posted were far from full power,

Full power in 16 oz gloves still cuts and breaks noses and orbitals.

Nobody is scared to, its a matter of irresponsibility.

Which is why most gyms and pros dont regularly spar with 100% power.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Add me as another who trains in a MMA gym with MMA fighters (and who occasionally coaches some of those fighters) and who agrees with all of this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And me, who cut his teeth in a boxing gym and has trained with world boxing champions and several more MA world champions. When you spar, especially if you are serious about the fight game, or serious about the arts, OR is sparring as a professional - anyone who tries to knock out their sparring partners gets fed to the dogs. And the dogs are always hungry. Always.

Sparring is important. It should be conducted properly.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post.

If you spar more than once in a great while, whatever manner of sparring, rolling, knifing, wrestling, whatever - in the world of contact training and/or competition, and/or self defense, the importance of your sparring program should be paramount. It should be conducted in a professional, hence, safe manner. I don't care if it's a boxing gym, a dojo, a club or a garage, if you don't know how to do it safely and the person in charge doesn't know the difference between all manners of sparring, you have a problem on your hands. A big problem.

Look to those who do it best, anywhere in the world. Listen to them.
Intenionally trying to KO a sparring partner won't be found in their world.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You just don't have enough experience that's why you couldn't tel that there weren't any full power punches in those videos. How many months have you been training in this 1st ever, MMA gym that you signed up with? About 3-6 months, tops?

And you still seem to think that full power means to throw every single strike at full power. I already told you that nobody does this, not even in fights in the ring, unless it's a quick knockout or fights that doesn't go over 1 round.

The first video with the KO, certainly had full power punches as he was clearly loading up his body. I sparred with both of them and know what their full power is.

Last edited:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And me, who cut his teeth in a boxing gym and has trained with world boxing champions and several more MA world champions. When you spar, especially if you are serious about the fight game, or serious about the arts, OR is sparring as a professional - anyone who tries to knock out their sparring partners gets fed to the dogs. And the dogs are always hungry. Always.

Sparring is important. It should be conducted properly.

Ooh, add me too. I've trained and sparred with World Champion and Legend, Ernesto Hoost

But what does this mean really? Absolutely nothing, other than dropping names. He went light and I didn't dare go hard. While if I spar against someone my equal skill level and it's agreed upon that it's "HARD SPARRING", then I'm going to try to knock him out. Do I spar hard and try to KO Noobs and Women? No. I usually tell them that they can go full power but I won't, just so I can get a good work out in.

Go to a Boxing gym in the 'hood. It's common for coaches to feed Noobs to experienced fighters, who are training for an upcoming fight, to get their confidence up by knocking them the "freak" out. Win-Win situation.....the fighters gets a moving punching bag to work on while the Coach finds out which noob serious and/or has heart. Weeds out the noobs real fast. You guys never been to a gym in the 'hood before, have you....and I'm not talking about the Cardio Boxing class, but for the sparring. They don't play around.

Latest Discussions