Interested in learning Reiki, where to start.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
"This study concludes that Reiki is a time consuming process with no significant clinical benefit."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"Women undergoing stereotactic core breast biopsy received no significant benefit from therapeutic touch administered during the procedure. Therapeutic touch cannot be routinely recommended for patients in this setting."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

"There is paucity of multi-institutional RCTs evaluating CAM interventions for cancer pain with adequate power, duration, and sham control. Hypnosis, imagery, support groups, acupuncture, and healing touch seem promising, particularly in the short term, but none can be recommended because of a paucity of rigorous trials."

"Neither masked prayer nor MIT therapy significantly improved clinical outcome after elective catheterisation or percutaneous coronary intervention."

"The manipulation of life energy, auras, chi, or prana are purported to be the basis of healing touch therapies, but the most delicate of scientific instruments have been universally unable to record such phenomena. Only those with a metaphysical belief in the process seem to be able to "feel" such energy. An elegantly simple study by a 9-year-old girl, published in JAMA in April of 1998, showed that even that claim may be untrue."
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2004.04052_2.x?cookieSet=1

"Over 30 studies have been conducted with healing touch as the independent variable. Although no generalizable results were found, a foundation exists for further research to test its benefits."

"Blinded practitioners (sham or reiki) were unable to determine which category they were in. Sham Reiki practitioners reported greater frequency of feeling heat in the hands compared to Reiki practitioners. There was no reported difference between the sham and the real Reiki practitioners in their ability to feel energy flowing through their hands...Reiki did not have any clinically useful effect on stroke recovery in subacute hospitalized patients receiving standard-of-care rehabilitation therapy."

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
How long has it taken those of you who are Taiji practitioners to learn to work with Chi energy? Yet a Reiki practitioner can learn to do it over a weekend????:erg: . I would like a Reiki practitioner to tell me how they determine the direction of Chi flow in the body, bearing in mind that Chi can flow in one of two directions.

Very best wishes

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only thing I will say about Reiki is that you can be a master over a weekend course. That in and of itself tells me alot.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
How long has it taken those of you who are Taiji practitioners to learn to work with Chi energy? Yet a Reiki practitioner can learn to do it over a weekend????:erg: . I would like a Reiki practitioner to tell me how they determine the direction of Chi flow in the body, bearing in mind that Chi can flow in one of two directions.

Very best wishes

The only thing I will say about Reiki is that you can be a master over a weekend course. That in and of itself tells me alot.

That says a lot actually, I did not know that.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i heard about this one time when there was this thing going on called 'the bible code'. later on, on some israeli tvshow the idea was proposed that if you look into any book with enough zeal to find what you are looking for, you can find it.

j

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Very best wishes
First, I want to say I would never charge anyone for the passing on of Reiki. The amounts people charge for this are just outrageous. I fail to see how anyone can do that and call themselves "masters" or "healers" and sleep well at night. The excuse is given that it weeds out people who are not committed - what a crock.

Second, it is an art. One can receive a list on paper of hand positions (I don't usually use these), symbols, etcetera and learn the theory in a weekend - but one cannot become a master in a weekend. What is offered is the certification that a person has the material in hand and has been "attuned" to master level. I know what is claimed by many of those charging exhorbitant prices for these knowledge is you become a reiki master in a weekend and can start helping people right away. They should be ashamed of themselves, IMNSHO.

Third, chi flow is not often part of the reiki system. Perhaps if people understood chi flow more it may help in some ways but it's not a part of Reiki. I also think chi is misunderstood as being more dense than it really is - perhaps we have differing view of what chi actually is (we being everyone at large).

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah, i don't agree with charging people. i mean not overly against it, but the system seems way outa line from my point of view. generaly, the scene often really lacks maturity and seem not to be taking the ideas and guidelines to their fullest. ultimately through the fronting and the bogus excuses it is a sign that the entire action is a manifestation of some kind of shame.

the energy of the major energy circulation and minor energy circulation i have been taught the enery rises up the spine over the top of the head, then flown down the front of the body where it flows into the lower regions to circulate back up. i think it it more complicated than that and i can remember many diagrams but im not sure now.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First, I want to say I would never charge anyone for the passing on of Reiki. The amounts people charge for this are just outrageous. I fail to see how anyone can do that and call themselves "masters" or "healers" and sleep well at night. The excuse is given that it weeds out people who are not committed - what a crock.

Second, it is an art. One can receive a list on paper of hand positions (I don't usually use these), symbols, etcetera and learn the theory in a weekend - but one cannot become a master in a weekend. What is offered is the certification that a person has the material in hand and has been "attuned" to master level. I know what is claimed by many of those charging exhorbitant prices for these knowledge is you become a reiki master in a weekend and can start helping people right away. They should be ashamed of themselves, IMNSHO.

Third, chi flow is not often part of the reiki system. Perhaps if people understood chi flow more it may help in some ways but it's not a part of Reiki. I also think chi is misunderstood as being more dense than it really is - perhaps we have differing view of what chi actually is (we being everyone at large).

Qi aside, how long would you say it takes to become a reiki master?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Qi aside, how long would you say it takes to become a reiki master?
Well ... heh heh ... what do you define as "master?" It's another art - it requires time, devotion, practice, etc. I suppose a few years ... but some people are just kinda meant to be energy channels and others are kinda just ... energy vampires who think they're doing someone else good. Does that make any sense?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've dealt with a few vampires. brrrr. It's good to see both pro and con information. Alot of what I read just seems ah, non-functional, but it's contradicted by a different source. I'm finding this happening alot as people with minimal real knowledge get books published. (Most of the Feng Shui books I find are written by New Age mix-n-matchers, for example).

I saw the "jump 3 levels to mastery in a week" stuff and it set off red flags, however I do see as true much of the ideas I read in reiki, as well as qi etc.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
everyone will have different standards-

i say, when you can regenerate an amputated limb then one can begin talk of physical healing by nonphysical menas before that, one should just keep it at positive energy and useful kinds of emotional support or spiritual support. sorry if seems i set the bar to high. but when i comes to spiritual things, i find it is a big responsibilty.
why settle for anything less than the best. and if the best is not possible then settle for what is truly possible and strive to fullfill it by all means.
however, the very subject of spirituality brings people to do curious things. there are so many different kinds of spiritual teachings. because reiki is not only a method, but it is also a kind of philosophy. it incorperates much religious material-therefore it has a solid foothold in religious world. which in a negative way is like saying it's stuck in a slab of concrete.
many people check it out and then move on.
not saying there aren't any valid practitioners of reiki. i have a few friends who are learning the reiki curriculum. however, most of the information can be obtained from books. that is what this one friend and i have established. much of the whole master diciple thing is bogus when money is one of the main reasons for practice.

j

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, seriously - Diane Shewmaker is highly respected in her ability. Her book All Love is my go-to book on some stuff. What I really recommend is you start talking to Reiki people about Reiki. Ask about their lineage as you would a martial artist, ask them other esoteric questions about energy and life force consciousness.

Bob, we can talk more in depth on the phone about it. I've done energy work with a few people here on the site - if they want to contact you about it I'll leave that up to them.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
everyone will have different standards-

i say, when you can regenerate an amputated limb then one can begin talk of physical healing by nonphysical menas before that, one should just keep it at positive energy and useful kinds of emotional support or spiritual support. sorry if seems i set the bar to high. but when i comes to spiritual things, i find it is a big responsibilty.
why settle for anything less than the best. and if the best is not possible then settle for what is truly possible and strive to fullfill it by all means.
however, the very subject of spirituality brings people to do curious things. there are so many different kinds of spiritual teachings. because reiki is not only a method, but it is also a kind of philosophy. it incorperates much religious material-therefore it has a solid foothold in religious world. which in a negative way is like saying it's stuck in a slab of concrete.
many people check it out and then move on.
not saying there aren't any valid practitioners of reiki. i have a few friends who are learning the reiki curriculum. however, most of the information can be obtained from books. that is what this one friend and i have established. much of the whole master diciple thing is bogus when money is one of the main reasons for practice.

j
You have good content in your posts - could you please use standard capitalization and punctuation please? It would make your posts SO much easier to read. :)

You did indeed set the bar high - we are not all gingerbread cookies. We are not all here to channel divine love at the same vibration for everyone. I have seen some pretty amazing feats with healing energy - regenerating an arm?? May as well say Bruce Lee was a fraud then because he couldn't do the "Falling Buddha Palm From Heaven" move or the "Five Step Single Palm Exploding Heart" technique. He couldn't kill a man with his kiai.

So ... if a Reiki person helps start an injury on the way to healing faster, that's not of use? If a Reiki person helps bring your blood pressure down, that's not of use? clear up a chronic sinus infection? diminish an emotional imbalance? clear an energy pathway? alert you to coming issues so you can prevent them yourself?

I may as well hang it up then - I don't know any Reiki person who can regenerate a severed limb.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I look at this in part in the same way western science looks at TCM. They hae the attitude "we can't explain it, we can't messure it, it must be bunk", yet there's thousands of years of proof. Hell, we can't "see" a black hole, just it's effects but we believe in them....

Now, there's tons of snake oil out there and frauds who push it. "Wiggle your fingers like so and you too can be a Sithlord" stuff. So, it's important to weed out the well, weeds. lol

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Diane Shewmaker

OK I was confused for a minute but a simple web search straightened me out. I could not for the life of me understand how you discovering comets and Reiki where related then I found it was not Diane Shewmaker but Carolyn Shoemaker I was thinking about.

Thanks for the info

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK I was confused for a minute but a simple web search straightened me out. I could not for the life of me understand how you discovering comets and Reiki where related then I found it was not Diane Shewmaker but Carolyn Shoemaker I was thinking about.

Thanks for the info
Huh?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As i understand it, Reiki doesn't imply any specific actions, rituals or techniques specific to individual tasks. Therefore, i could say that maybe all people have access to this spiritual energy to some degree. Either they are just shuting themselves out or they are not interested to train their skills further.
So, it depends on the actions of the individual and what they want to achieve. If they achieve their goals, then it is positive.
There are all kinds of spiritual teachings, what is important is to be a helpful and well meaning person first. All other training comes next.

j

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Thanks for the info

Ah - just figgered it out, though I googled Diane and found some, ah ... interesting stuff on her webpage. Still the book I recommended by her is a great one.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen some pretty amazing stuff in my life so I am not so easy to debunk anything right off the bat. Some stuff I have witnessed, was well astronishing.

My only gripe with Reiki is anyone and I mean anyone who accepts alot of money and makes someone a master level or instructor over a weekend course. (how much depth and training can they really have) That is my only complaint and the same goes for any martial art that does the same thing and there are alot of people doing it right now.
icon13.gif

Latest Discussions