Integrity in your Training

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
In this world, it seems that everyone has an opinion about everything, especially martial arts...so is why the world is such an interesting place, I believe. Questions, taunts, insults, from others or yourselves, raid the forums, magazines, and websites of many in the world martial arts community.

In the recent past I've allowed such things to get under my skin, even to the point of returning such behavior, but recently I had the opportunity to move forward, to grow up a little more (something I feel every human could endeavor to do daily, and some actually do). I suppose at this point there's no doubt of my devotion to my imparticular martial art, even to the point of rudely returning such, but my training this past weekend really served to open up my eyes to this matter, a small glimpse of enlightment, if you will. :uhyeah:

Yeah-okay, but seriously. Most of the world's most respected arts are famous for their values, just as much as the effectivity of their techniques. When I trained in Eishin ryu Iaijutsu, values were drilled into your head, samurai values. It was said you would never fully appreciate the art if you didn't have such values, morals, and respects. I feel the same applied to myself when it came to To-Shin Do. Whatever the real history was, whatever's true or false, I should not let it both me. I've seen a few users online with the classic adage, saying: Those who you let anger you, control you. I think that's great advice, as simple as it me seem.

Even when you've been delved in the martial arts morality for years, you must keep reminding yourself of principles like these...life skill principles.

Red & White Belt - Kyu-kyu 9th Class

I communicate health, happiness and peace of mind to everyone I meet,
I avoid violent, disturbing, and unduly critical speech.

At the level of red belt, To-Shin Do students usually know learn one of these 14 Point Mindful Action Codes, and this one is one I felt I was failing to apply, and probably needed to start...and so I will!

My question, what are some of the codes of conduct, or wise recommendations, as far as dwelling in this world, do you find helpful, when unforeseen and aggravating circumstances and challenges fall upon you?

To-Shin!

-Scott

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can honestly say that the biggest challenges have also caused me to learn the most and grow the most so i keep that in mind whenever I get very frustrated or aggravated.
Every disagreement or complaint is also an opportunity to learn something.
A straight easy path would be nice for awhile but then I think it would get dull and not as much would actually be learned or accomplished in the long run.

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Two core values:

1. Common Sense
2. Common Courtesy

All mysticism aside, if you can maintain both of these in the face of adversity, then you have without any slightest doubt conquered the self. If pride of place (or honor, call it what you like, whatever) makes you abandon either of them then you have yet more work to do.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My question, what are some of the codes of conduct, or wise recommendations, as far as dwelling in this world, do you find helpful, when unforeseen and aggravating circumstances and challenges fall upon you?

Prospero's line, from The Tempest:

The rarer action is, in virtue than in vengeance.

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Two core values:

1. Common Sense
2. Common Courtesy

All mysticism aside, if you can maintain both of these in the face of adversity, then you have without any slightest doubt conquered the self. If pride of place (or honor, call it what you like, whatever) makes you abandon either of them then you have yet more work to do.

Just realized how true this is. Well, another thing to keep in mind. :)

Johan D'hondt

White Belt
Reaction score
hey,

"""
your freedom ends where the other ones freedom starts....

"""

johan D'hondt
LDS Belgium

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The tenets of Tae Kwon Do, Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control and Indomitable Spirit.

Most decisions can be made by testing them with these criteria.

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first thing I learned when I started studying Martial Arts were the bonds that exist between those who study. Granted there are still those "my style is better than your style etc etc" but for the most part we're all in the arts to better ourselves as individuals and as societies.

I personally give kudos to everyone who can learn to put their egos aside and train hard to make themselves the best that they can be!

newtothe dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the big things that I "try" and rememeber is my teacher looking at us and saying "Your actions not only relflect you but also your art , your school, and me. I will endevor to not embarass your please do me the same honor"

Latest Discussions