Instructors, how do you defend against Sensei Seths side kick criticism?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have trained both chamber positions and in watching old videos of sparring during class I realized that I actually use both chambers interchangeably depending on the situation. After reading through this thread I decided to hit the bag a few times with both and quite honestly, if you understand the mechanics of hip rotation, there isnt a difference in power that I could tell. I would say if it works for you and doesnt cause you pain when you do it then it doesnt matter which way you chamber.

As Richard Chun once told a friend of mine; "Do it the way you were taught but keep an open mind. Just like in life there are few absolutes in Taekwondo"

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I happen to agree with him that the way we are taught side kicks in intermediate patterns are illogical.

The knee should not take a two directional route. This makes no sense. Advanced students obviously move freely and chamber whichever way they want, but this pathway remains in the patterns .....

Interestingly, I got flamed positing a side kick clip doing exactly what Sensei Seth is advocating...:)

I would like to hear how TKD instructors on this board defend the formal side kick chamber.

Please watch 2:43

then for a fuller analysis (with humor thrown in)

here
This is a question for everyone. If you are sparring someone and see them wind up and turn the foot First like he does in the video, what would you do?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a question for everyone. If you are sparring someone and see them wind up and turn the foot First like he does in the video, what would you do?

Which vid are we talking about, brother?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I happen to agree with him that the way we are taught side kicks in intermediate patterns are illogical.

The knee should not take a two directional route. This makes no sense. Advanced students obviously move freely and chamber whichever way they want, but this pathway remains in the patterns .....

Interestingly, I got flamed positing a side kick clip doing exactly what Sensei Seth is advocating...:)

I would like to hear how TKD instructors on this board defend the formal side kick chamber.

Please watch 2:43

then for a fuller analysis (with humor thrown in)

here
If I am not mistaken, I believe I read about how there is an experimentation centre for one of the Takewondo Federations that is solely dedicated to studying different kicks and how to maximise their power...

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

We teach and train "When he moves, you move". This does not mean he has to move first. It just means that IF he does...

What he moves, where he moves, how he steps isn't as important to me. You adapt on the fly. It's the way of all fighting in my opinion. How does one learn to do that? By constance practice, against any and all types of movement. Against any and all types of techniques, against any and all types of footwork, takedowns, blitzes, attacks etc.

Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy. Or quick.

On a side note, the "when he moves, you move" also works in grappling....sort of. If I'm grappling with someone of my skill level (I suck) he's usually not going to be able to submit me. Even if he's bigger and stronger (again, as long as our skills are close)

But when you're grappling against somebody with far greater skills, purple and above, they'll outplay you. As soon as they recognize your game, and especially if they've rolled with you - they'll suck you in like the chump you are. They'll think..."okay, I'll get him to give me this, or I'll make him do this." And then they do. Every single time.

Anyway....so if I see that foot turn or land this way, I'm already moving towards his back, or towards whatever arm his motion causes him to lower because of balance mechanics. You know, where your arms go when you kick depending on how much you have to lean.