Instinctive Response Training Light Full Contact Stick Sparring!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just some light IRT full contact stick sparring. We were pretty much relaxing and playing around working on different things. I thought that everyone might enjoy watching.
icon6.gif

Here is the clip:
[yt]PrAvB5Y0AWQ[/yt]

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cool stuff Brian !

Where did you buy your armor ?

-Matt

Hey Matt I got my current WEKAF armor out of California from a company that went out of business. There are a dozen places now selling it though. Here is one place that has them for pretty decent prices but like I said I have not used them. http://www.gungfu.com/htm-apparel/other-uniforms/apparel-other-uniforms-filipino-gear.htm
There are a few other places that are cheaper if you buy direct right from the Phillipines.

As to the Fencing Masks I bought those off Amazon. This is a good price:
http://www.amazon.com/Deluxe-3-weap...ef=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_3_txt/105-5066351-0634009

We were shin and instep plus elbow gear with the FMA Body & Head Protectors. (that way you can strike anywhere) As a student progresses along we remove more and more of the gear until you just have the Fencing Mask and elbow & knee protectors. Then you can also grapple and shuck your fencing mask when you need to. Definately an adrenaline rush!
icon14.gif

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
Very cool.

I need to pick up a couple of sets and am always looking for a good deal on the WEKAF stuff.

Nothing like a little spot of violence to clear your head :)

Gotta love the stick sparring.

-m

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very cool.

I need to pick up a couple of sets and am always looking for a good deal on the WEKAF stuff.

Nothing like a little spot of violence to clear your head :)

Gotta love the stick sparring.

-m

With this cold I've got, maybe I should head over to Alma and get the snot beaten out of me!

Brian, Nice clip, thanks for sharing.

darkavenger

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been to Brian's place several times, and it's always a great choice for a beating.

You have to keep your eye on those Alma Ninjas ... they'll get ya.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh that's not fair you guys are having WAY too much fun. :D :D

Good stuff Brian!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
that looks like fun, but I have to ask....

what is "light full contact"?? :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well simply put it can mean that you are not pressing your advantage too much when you injure or stun someone else. Let them recover a little so that you can continue to train. Since I view this type of activity as a training exercise none of us were trying to finish off the other person. If that had been the case then it would have looked a little different. Notice the disarm at the end of the tape in the last bit of training and then the follow up strike. If we had been going a little harder the person would have continued striking and not stopped to allow the other person to get his stick back. So for us this was pretty light but still fun!
icon10.gif
We also were really just working with the sticks and not kicking, hand striking, grappling etc. That would change the dynamics as well.
icon6.gif