Inspiration?

B

bscastro

I agree that training with some amazing people is inspiring. What is also inspiring are those ones in our classes who may not have "innate" talent but you see them work their butts off and get really good. These guys show me that I can do it too with enough hard work and dedication.

I

IFAJKD

Interesting subject....First I keep from teaching just one student...Avoid private Instruction. It makes you train when/what you may not feel like teaching or training. I love working with groups of new students and feed off that energy...Sometimes I just ride horse or read anything spiritual from the bible to Zen .
Currently
Life and Teaching of the masters of the Far East....Sometimes I just have to balance, quiet myself and settle...I have found that even doing hubud with an advanced student will allow me to experiment and come up with new things and discoveries. If I have the $$$$$ I go train with Vunak and it's like the atom bomb of motivation. Ground fighting with my son is fun and in the end...letting myself have distance.
wow did I ramble!:eek:

thanks for the fun insight
J

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As long as I continue to learn something new, no matter how trivial, I'll stay motivated. I've been fortunate in that the last couple of people I've trained with have always been able to show me something new, be it a techniqe, principle, or simply another way at looking at something I'd already known.

For traditional systems, sitting in a wide horse stance throwing reverse punches all day may have a purpose, but it doesn't stimulate the mind. Stimulating a student's brain is just as important, if not more so, than developing physical skill.

Have I rambled again?

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

bottom line that's what it's all about. being a student. Aren't we all

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ayep. If you're always a student, you'll always grow. Once you've become a 'master', and supposedly know everything, there ain't nothing left to do but die.

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

morbid. the whole death thing isn't working. must make new analogy. I do believe in mastering techniques one at a time.
Learn
Practice
Master
Functionalize
maintain

repeat steps 1 through 5 as willing:D

M

Ms J

this book was and still is inspration and For the Budo.....

The Book of Five Rings.

http://www.f-a-t-e.org/articals/martial arts training/sabre/A book of five rings/fiverings1.html

Note: this is a full on line version, it has been on the site for over a year now, when i went to pull up the address today to post it here, the links had been corrupted, i had to go back and update all 60 or more pages of this one book. Please if you find a page in that area that is not working, or a link in the text not working, please send a message and let me know. I believe i have sorted them all though.

The F.A.T.E. site is sort of well...it can be difficult to manage at times and ever growing. It has over 300 pages. Totaling with pages, articles, and graphics 1022 files. I have to be very very careful with the up keep of it or i could never keep up. So please if something is ever a-miss there please let me know.....

Thank you....

Ms. J.......
Yes... and sometime webmaster.....

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent, excellent book. Must have for all martial artists.

One warning: steer clear of 'hanshi' Steven Kaufman's translation. Though it's title The Martial Artist's Book of Five Rings may be enticing to the martial artist, it is an inaccurate translation at best. I've discovered this through comparison of other translations and from the advice of a professor in Japanese history who also holds certification in a traditional Japanese bujutsu.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh? Huh? Who? To what? I'm confused.:confused:

Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh yeah, he was! This was way back when I frequented RMA, however. Haven't talked to him since. Nice guy. Very willing to share information. He's also a published author, his two books (that I know of) being: Hired Swords: the Rise of Private Warrior Power in Early Japan and Legacies of the Sword: the Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial Culture. I wish I kept in contact with him, but he was in the midst of publishing that second book and I was probably about to make my exit from RMA at the time, in addition to moving, getting engaged, finding another job, blah blah blah. :)

It'd be cool if he was on this board. He is a shihan and holds a menkyo-kaiden in the Kashima-Shinryu in addition to teaching Japanese history. He'd be an all-around excellent resource on the Japanese topics on this board.

Cthulhu

I

IFAJKD

I have to admit, as much harping as I do on traditional training for most people, I at times have this craving for traditional Japanese culture. re are aspects of that culture as it pertains to martial arts that I would love to know. I have had little formal Japanese training in any arts. What I have gotten in terms of tradition, I have read. You had a great opportunity. kool:cool:

R

Rob_Broad

As I said I find inspiration inthe people I work out with. But I also find inspiration from watching people do martial arts. Every other Sunday( weather permitting), a local Tai chi group has a seesion in the park just outside my back window. I often watch them and then end up in my basement pounding away on B.O.B.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd have to ask the same question. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to have you join them. Any idea what style of tai chi it is?

Cthulhu

R

Rob_Broad

They study Taoist Tai Chi, just for the exercise and have no idea of the self defense aspect of it. I have worked out with them in the past, I really didn't get much out of it. All the members were atleast twice my age, and they are pretty closed as a group. As I said I have worked out with the main group at the community center a few times, it is a little easier with the people there. I prefer to bang on B.O.B. and get some intensity going.

V

Victoria

Along with those many other wonderful books, you might want to check into "The Bushido way", or just simple various Bushido teachings.. This goes into developing personal strength and self-discipline, so that one easily overcomes their lack of "motivation".. Its primary teachings are based on "code of moral ethics", which connects us right into our learnings at the dojo's.. Humbleness, Honor, Respect, Self-discipline, Loyalty, Perseverence, Dedication, and of course lessons in warriorism. More of a way to balance out body, mind, spirit, at same time as producing an inner desire and drive to achieve anything and develop strength, you have been striving for.. Hope that helps. :asian:

I

IFAJKD

Victoria. Thanks for the suggestions. It's nice to see that people still value those attributes. Training in such combative systems for me, requires a focus on the spiritual as well as motivational qualities often missing from my systems as they have been taught by many.

Latest Discussions