Inosanto's Book

T

TLS

I know you mean Gou I want to move like that too.

Cthulhu You are correct the higher the level of any art the more they seem to be the same.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After years in my system, I've started to see moves similar to those found in FMA. I've also seen marked similarity to some kenpo systems, as well as the obvious parallels to karate. However, I think this is also in part to my curiousity of these other systems.

Cthulhu

M

Ms J

Guro Dan Inosanto,

I could say much about this man, his art, and his studio in calif. I say his art because that is what it has evolved into, as the path is meant to be with JKD and the core concepts behind the “ not a system”.

It is an art and expresson of ourselfs and an evolution into the core of ourselves….

It’s the experience that means the most, I could relate to you what its like to train under him or at his studio in calif, under a number of his teachers there. But….

There is too much to say all positive and all something that I totally encourage all of you to try to do at least once in your lives.

Take one of his seminars or classes at the academy, go with an empty cup, and do not beat yourself up if you do not drink it all up. It is intense and wonderful…

He is full and it pours out of him when he teaches, he literally floods the room with his skill and knowledge and each time I have trained under him, its been a totally humbling experience that deepens my respect and honor for this man with each new experance.

His skills are compared to non- he brings his budo to Bruce in a very human and greatfull way, he never forgets anyone and always has a kind thing to say back to you. I have been nothing but graced by him and his presence when he has taught.

If you have one thing that you can do in any of your lives before you die, I would suggest you show up at his studio in calif at 8pm tuesday nights “ check the time with dorie at the academy, it might have changed “ and take his kali 3 classe. He teaches this class himself most of the time.

On line on my site off the main martial arts articles pages

http://www.f-a-t-e.org/articals/martial arts training/Training on the road.html

There are few articles about his place in calif and one or 2 of his seminars held. There old articles but I keep them there for others and a way for others to find a path to him and have a small idea of what its like to either go to his place in calif or to train in seminar with him…

Again, over the years as I have learned about the art and his evolution into it in, there so much that I could say about all that I have learned, all positive and all inspiring for myself and for many many of his students globally…

Ms. J……..

:asian: :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:

Attachments

• $dan1.jpg
    $dan1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 218

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find his willingness to constantly learn more too be one of his greatest attrabutes. With all of the knowldge he has in the many systems he has studied the man still seeks out those with knowledge that he can add to his own. He is humble enough to admit that he dose not have all of the answeres( but he sure as a lot more that most peolpe)
Shadow

M

Ms J

I totaly agree with you shadow.

i remember after a seminar with him a few years back my training partner and private instructor at the time sat and talked about having just 20% of the knowlage base this man does and how increadbly awsome having just that 20% would be.....:)

Ms. J.....

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi there. I've been practicing Modern Arnis since 1980, hold a 6th Degree Black Belt with Prof. Presas (promoted in 1992) and have been rated by him as a Senior Master as well. Dan Inosanto's book is one of the best I've read on filipino martial arts. You can tell that he has gotten the bulk of his basics from the Angel Cabales serrada system but the general overview is great and it applies to all Filipino martial arts. It is, I think, out of print now so if you havve a copy, keep it. If you find one on ebay or through Amazon or a used book store, snap it up quick.
Dan Anderson

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think Mr. Anderson hit it on the head.

Guro Dan's book is probably the best introduction to FMA I've read. I also like Remy Presas' Yellow book, called Modern Arnis, for basic technique.

Another thought:

I'm a Modern Arnis guy but I took a seminar in Parker's Kenpo from Huc Palanis a few years ago. I had the privledge of talking with him after the seminar. He said all the advanced Kenpo stuff came from FMA.

No disrespect intended to Kenpo people ( or anyone else for that matter). In my limited dabbling in Kenpo I can see the similarities. Doing Arnis technique open handed can look a lot like Kenpo. I think the two work very well together.

As Remy Presas was fond of saying "It's all the same"