injury?

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok,
So I know everyone is going to say to see a doc, and I will but I was just curious...
So I had to not train for a couple weeks due to a job, and now my schedule is making me have to train at home a lot more often than at the dojang. I had some of these issues before, but basically this has really started to bother me after returning to training after those couple weeks off. If I work on side kicks or roundhouse kick with my left leg, I feel a tightness in my hip. Basically it feels like it is behind (or underneth) my gluts, almost like where your femor meets your pelvis. It pops a little and hurts a little. But the really odd thing is when I go to do a hamstring stretch with both legs extended that left hip really stops me, I just can't go down at all. However, if I stretch with only my left leg out and right leg tucked (or vice versa) it seems to be fine. I also often have quite a bit of popping when I do crescent kicks (or similar movement) on that side.
Anyone have any similar experiences. I am trying to decide how much to ignore it and how much to rest it.
I know, I know, see a doc...

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok,
So I know everyone is going to say to see a doc, and I will but I was just curious...
So I had to not train for a couple weeks due to a job, and now my schedule is making me have to train at home a lot more often than at the dojang. I had some of these issues before, but basically this has really started to bother me after returning to training after those couple weeks off. If I work on side kicks or roundhouse kick with my left leg, I feel a tightness in my hip. Basically it feels like it is behind (or underneth) my gluts, almost like where your femor meets your pelvis. It pops a little and hurts a little. But the really odd thing is when I go to do a hamstring stretch with both legs extended that left hip really stops me, I just can't go down at all. However, if I stretch with only my left leg out and right leg tucked (or vice versa) it seems to be fine. I also often have quite a bit of popping when I do crescent kicks (or similar movement) on that side.
Anyone have any similar experiences. I am trying to decide how much to ignore it and how much to rest it.

I actually have a similar issue with both of my legs as well, and I posted about it about a month and a half ago. I was advised by several of the folks on here to try less static stretching and more "live" stretching, like yoga style stretching and leg raises.

I've actually found that by doing less static and more live, it does help alot. It's going to take some time, I know, but I can tell a difference from where I was when I posted that question.

Sometimes, what I like to do is to lay on my side and do slow kicks in the air with the leg that's on top. I'll stop my leg at the point where I can feel the strain and slowly bring it back to chambered position. It's helped me, maybe that could work for you.

HM2PAC

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all you need to see a Doc......(Hahahahahaha, couldn't pas on that).

The are where you are describing has a couple of structure that get implicated in pain commonly.

1. HAMSTRING INSERTION. The Ischial Tuberosity or "Butt Bone" is the knobby bone in your butt that bears your weight while sitting. It is where the hamstrings attach. If your hams are tight, you can get pain there. You can also get tendinitis at the attachment. Young people (teens with open growthplates) can also get an apophysitis there, it is an inflammation of the growth plate.

2. SCIATIC NERVE. The sciatic nerve runs under the glutes and a few other muscles. If your short external rotators (SER's) of the hip are tight it can become impinged. If you have any nerve pain running down your leg, this could be the cause. Tight SER's are very common with athletes.

In all seriousness, seeing your fmaily physician is necessary as there are a multitude of things that can cause you problems, I've only taken the time to mention the 2 most common. Hopefully your doc will send you to Physical Therapy, look for a PT that has experience with competitive athletes. Shop around, look fora good/experienced one.

Good luck.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You have had some great advice already, here.

I would like to add that I have had that popping in my hip with the crescent kicks as well for almost 30 years. It seems to be ok, maybe a ligament or something like popping your knuckles.

If you have numbness in your affected leg and into your foot or some funky things happening when you first get up to walk, be carefull. Get to the MD (sorry to say that).

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I experience this same thing but without the popping. I don't know how old you are but if I'm reading things right on this board, the older you get the more issues you are going to have/get. Its probably worse for me since I just started 3 months ago at 41 yrs old. Lots of folks have been practicing MA for longer so they may be better off.

I dread going to the MD because the first thing they say is STOP doing what you're doing and don't do it again :), whether its a hand injury from painting a picture or hip issues from kicking someone in a MA class. The "common" DR. does not understand our special needs. Their only focus is stop you from hurt. "Does it hurt when you kick? Then, stop kicking!" Sheesh, great answer doc, why don't you just bury me now.

I've learned to go directly to a Sports Medicine type of MD (if your insurance supports it), it will save you alot of time. I hope that maybe your primary MD is much different than the MDs that I've experienced.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok,

Yeah, go see a doctor

Was that so hard?:angel:

Latest Discussions