Injured

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you have injured yourself practicing with "Live" weapons? I know it's pretty common with Nunchucks, but what about other weapons...

E

ECYili

I'm a kung fu practioner so I've accidentaly stab myself in the shin with a broadsword. I've also been cracked in several places with a staff, all of which hurt very much. There might have been more but I can't remember, maybe that's why I can't remember :D

dan

C

chufeng

I almost always (notice, I said almost) train with "live" weapons.

The only time I don't is when I'm working with junior students...
Recently, I was teaching defense against sword/club/baseball bat but substituted a shinai for the weapon...

At senior levels, we use live weapons...otherwise the training isn't very realistic, is it. That includes REAL empty handed attacks...no pulling up short...no punching past the target...If I don't move out of the way and/or block/deflect you had better hit me hard...

My students understand that...and occasionally get thumped because THEY got the timing wrong...

Maybe I don't have a stable full of students paying the rent, but I do have a few students that are learning REAL martial arts.

:asian:
chufeng

C

chufeng

Oh..I forgot...Nunchaku are great for separating the grain from the chafe...but as a martial arts weapon, it sucks...give me a baton or tonfa anyday.

chufeng

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by chufeng
Oh..I forgot...Nunchaku are great for separating the grain from the chafe...but as a martial arts weapon, it sucks...give me a baton or tonfa anyday.

chufeng

Used ala Bruce Lee fashion as “Num-Chucks” yeah they suck, but when used as a trapping weapon they hurt like hell and can be effective.
The only problem is they are against the law in many states due to “chuckers” that didn’t know the proper use of the weapon and gave them a bad reputation using them for illegal things.

C

chufeng

Agreed...but, in my opinion, a baton is still more useful...
Actually, I really like the "hand staffs" that Oyata Sensei showed us in the 80s...NASTY...

chufeng

R

RyuShiKan

Actually, I really like the "hand staffs" that Oyata Sensei showed us in the 80s...NASTY...

chufeng

Mr. Oyata's teacher’s was family was very famous for staff.

M

MartialArtist

I had a very big mark on my head, bruises on my arm and legs, etc. from traditional weapons. Ironically, I've been hurt more with "non-lethal" weapons than with lethal weapons such as firearms.

R

RyuShiKan

chufeng

Oh I see what you are talking about.
Those are called Chizikunbo.
I thought you were talking about a regular Bo.
My mistake, sorry.

D

Despairbear

Jeeze, I don't think I could count or remember all the times I have hobbled home with broken toes, cracked ribs, spiral fractures to my forarms, messed up knee joints, no voice from taking a shot to the neck, hyper-extended elbows, broken ribs (ouch!), dislocated fingers (double ouch), bruses, lacerations, hematomas, missing finger/toe nails, sprains, pulls, a few torn things, a couple of consussions, and I am sure a few more I am forgetting. But my point is that when we are traing for combat we are training to maim and kill with our hands and with weapons there is no way to fully take the danger out of that, except to stop training for combat. Personaly I feel that in your training that you should get lots of bumps and bruses, and probaly a few cracked and broken bones over the years that is the price we pay for our traing. And personaly I am glad to pay it.

Despair Bear

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont feel so stupid anymore. I stabbed myself with a Kama the other day... heh heh. Thats what prompted this question.

:D

J

Jill666

A thump on the head from my nunchuks :rolleyes: and occasional bruises & lumps. Oh, and a chipped tooth. I decided to block a bo strike with my face- successfully.

My training partner cut his forearm with his kama- underneath near the elbow. Several stitches & a fair amount of blood. We're still giving him a hard time.

M

Master of Blades

I've dropped a Broadsword on my foot before, Cut my arm with a knife while chambering it (Were not allowed to use sharp weapons till black now :shrug: ) and hit myself with nunchuka. I've also damaged my wrist doing Abinnicho :asian:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jill666

My training partner cut his forearm with his kama- underneath near the elbow. Several stitches & a fair amount of blood. We're still giving him a hard time.

YEP! EXACTLY WHAT I DID! Except i skipped the stitches and used Superglue and a Butterfly bandage. Bled like heck tho.

W

Wmarden

Actually the two weapons I mostly practice with are my ASP baton and the aforementioned "Num chucks"

I would like to get some tonfa or side handle baton practice in because I believe they are more useful for the line of work I want to go into than the traditional rice flails. Plus I don't know of any agencies in this state who issue allow them. But I do have the most experience with them. Not saying I have alot, just the most of my limited experience.

As for injuries, not really anything. Maybe little bruises or other stuff.

K

Kirk

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
when used as a trapping weapon they hurt like hell and can be effective.

Would love to see a demo of that ... sounds interesting.

Latest Discussions