Injured & frustrated

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
They do know you're a martial artist, right? I've always heard that martial arts is very beneficial in more ways than one.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you're getting what you need now - maybe your abilities despite the CP will so intrigue them that you'll get extra on top of necessary!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They do know you're a martial artist, right? I've always heard that martial arts is very beneficial in more ways than one.

Oh yeah, they know. The doctor even said he could tell by something he saw on an x-ray. (Although I'm not sure what that was). Perhaps it was something on the x-ray that is explained by MA training.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad you're getting what you need now - maybe your abilities despite the CP will so intrigue them that you'll get extra on top of necessary!

They were surprised by a few things. They started looking amy arm & shoulder as well. They noted that I have a severely atrophied muscle in my shoulder that it looks as if it's missing. When I told them I can still do 50-75 pushups, they were surprised. Maybe I'll get other medical care for free out of this:uhyeah:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They were surprised by a few things. They started looking amy arm & shoulder as well. They noted that I have a severely atrophied muscle in my shoulder that it looks as if it's missing. When I told them I can still do 50-75 pushups, they were surprised. Maybe I'll get other medical care for free out of this:uhyeah:

This is crazy. What's going on??

You should get them to work this out to your satisfaction. Something very strange is going on... is their imaging technology buggered up? Or what? I just don't see how they can come to that conclusion, given the facts of your physical abilities.... :confused:

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is crazy. What's going on??

You should get them to work this out to your satisfaction. Something very strange is going on... is their imaging technology buggered up? Or what? I just don't see how they can come to that conclusion, given the facts of your physical abilities.... :confused:

exile,

I went there only for the issues with my leg, not a "full work up" on my CP. The PT got curious & asked me to take my shirt off. There is a noticeable difference in the musculature of my right shoulder. No imaging was done to prove his theory. Had I gone in for issues with my arm, hand or shoulder, I'd make sure they'd do those things.

I went through 2 months of screaming at my insurance company just to let UCLA look at & treat my leg. They're doing that. I'd love them to do a full work up on me. In the case of what the doctor said about my shoulder, it's interesting, but it doesn't mean much to me. I have no pain in that shoulder & no change in range of motion. I can do the pushups. How I'm able to do them isn't too important to me.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Was thinking about you. Glad you finally found some medical people who care and are interested in helping. Isn't insurance wonderful? :disgust:

I imagine you are unique patient. :)

Shorts and uniform top with belt *lol* Are you still teaching?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shorts and uniform top with belt *lol* Are you still teaching?

I run a small program out of my church. I don't have any BB's, so I teach every class.

I actually think I have a pair of dobok pants that will fit over my cast. My wife doesn't want me to demonstrate kicks until the cast comes off. I thinks she figures I'll fall on my butt & really need a cast. She's forgotten about my cat-like relexes.:bangahead:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no pain in that shoulder & no change in range of motion. I can do the pushups. How I'm able to do them isn't too important to me.

Right, if everything is functional, the rest isn't that important.

The human body can work in very strange ways, that's for sure...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman just keep moving forward and everything will work out for you. Good things happen to good people and you are a good person.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, Iceman, hadn't seen this thread before (like Kacey, it's been the school year from the Darkside). If I could just interject some personal experience here without seeming to make this about me.

I've had quite a few martial-related injuries, some from structured MA's, some from getting into stupid scrapes before I grew up (around your current age--slow learner :D), and never got a real answer on many of them (I hear you on the insurance battles, etc). Nevertheless, with time, I found a way around most, and they receded (except in the first 30 minutes after I get up every day ;)).

But about four years ago, received a neck injury due to an over-macho training partner and, short of surgery (not going to happen), the best 'protection' was/is to continue the exercises I was given in rehab, and to alter my training regimen--as in, don't train with immature, testosterone driven fools, or try to do the things they do.

Now most of my training is my teaching, which seems we sort of have in common. And even then, I remember my limitations. Don't believe it makes me a poorer martial artist not to do all the hard falls, rolls, and flashy stuff over and over. It makes me able to continue doing something I love--and truth be told, probably better in getting at the combat aspect of my art.

Guess I'm saying, age happens, and there's life after it (and surprisingly, often it's better, not *settling*). So, I'm wishing you the best in getting the right diagnosis and treatment, but if you find that even with that your body has changed, hope you can find a bright side to that, as I have. :highfive:

Thanks for your willingness to share so openly. :asian:

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, Iceman, hadn't seen this thread before (like Kacey, it's been the school year from the Darkside). If I could just interject some personal experience here without seeming to make this about me.

I've had quite a few martial-related injuries, some from structured MA's, some from getting into stupid scrapes before I grew up (around your current age--slow learner :D), and never got a real answer on many of them (I hear you on the insurance battles, etc). Nevertheless, with time, I found a way around most, and they receded (except in the first 30 minutes after I get up every day ;)).

But about four years ago, received a neck injury due to an over-macho training partner and, short of surgery (not going to happen), the best 'protection' was/is to continue the exercises I was given in rehab, and to alter my training regimen--as in, don't train with immature, testosterone driven fools, or try to do the things they do.

Now most of my training is my teaching, which seems we sort of have in common. And even then, I remember my limitations. Don't believe it makes me a poorer martial artist not to do all the hard falls, rolls, and flashy stuff over and over. It makes me able to continue doing something I love--and truth be told, probably better in getting at the combat aspect of my art.

Guess I'm saying, age happens, and there's life after it (and surprisingly, often it's better, not *settling*). So, I'm wishing you the best in getting the right diagnosis and treatment, but if you find that even with that your body has changed, hope you can find a bright side to that, as I have. :highfive:

Thanks for support & encouragement Warrior. Your words mean a lot!

This time gives me the opportunity to stretch my teaching abilities by using words, rather than demonstrating every technique as I have for a long time.

The exercises from PT & Sang H. Kim's "Ultimate Stretching" dvd are a godsend to me. I realized the other day that, just because I have pain, doesn't mean there aren't many things I can still do.

I also spoke with Mark Shuey from CaneMasters yesterday. I'll be ordering a cane or 2 & some dvd's from him. While I don't need a cane to walk (thank God) & want to teaching Canemaster's stretching & SD to Seniors & other folks who do.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

A related point...

There comes a time when we can no longer bounce back or train as hard as we once did. There are different ways to deal with this -- but if you've "prepared the ground" over time, you'll be able to demonstrate what YOU must, while being able to rely on students to demonstrate what you can't (or can't without paying a higher cost than you'd like) anymore. There's nothing wrong with this; it's a natural result. And maybe it's time for you to start investigating other avenues in training, too.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A related point...

There comes a time when we can no longer bounce back or train as hard as we once did. There are different ways to deal with this -- but if you've "prepared the ground" over time, you'll be able to demonstrate what YOU must, while being able to rely on students to demonstrate what you can't (or can't without paying a higher cost than you'd like) anymore. There's nothing wrong with this; it's a natural result. And maybe it's time for you to start investigating other avenues in training, too.

I agree whole-heartedly jks. Thanks for making this point clearly! How many dance teachers, football & boxing coaches aren't able to "do" it anymore yet produce great athletes? More than a few.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for support & encouragement Warrior. Your words mean a lot!

This time gives me the opportunity to stretch my teaching abilities by using words, rather than demonstrating every technique as I have for a long time.

It can be hard to explain techniques in words when you're used to demonstrating - but it's also a great way to expand your understanding of technique, as you have to understand it thoroughly to be able to explain it. It's also a good chance for your more senior students to demonstrate for you.

The exercises from PT & Sang H. Kim's "Ultimate Stretching" dvd are a godsend to me. I realized the other day that, just because I have pain, doesn't mean there aren't many things I can still do.

Of course there are - why wouldn't there be? :idunno: I don't mean to sound flip, I really don't - but why would an injury prevent you from training around it? That would be like saying "well, gee... I've been injured in defending myself, I guess I'll just lay down and let this attacker beat the crap out of me, because now that I'm injured I can no longer defend myself" - something that I certainly can't see you doing. This actually gives you a great chance to train a different way, to see what you can do that will let you work around your current limitations - which is, by the way, another great teaching technique; impose artificial limits on your students (spar with only your right hand and foot, or don't let them use their favorite kicks, things like that) and watch how quickly they grow, as they are forced into using less comfortable techniques.

I also spoke with Mark Shuey from CaneMasters yesterday. I'll be ordering a cane or 2 & some dvd's from him. While I don't need a cane to walk (thank God) & want to teaching Canemaster's stretching & SD to Seniors & other folks who do.

That sounds like a great idea - not to mention the fact that canes are not (yet) on the list of items that can't be carried on planes.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It can be hard to explain techniques in words when you're used to demonstrating - but it's also a great way to expand your understanding of technique, as you have to understand it thoroughly to be able to explain it. It's also a good chance for your more senior students to demonstrate for you.

Of course there are - why wouldn't there be? :idunno: I don't mean to sound flip, I really don't - but why would an injury prevent you from training around it? That would be like saying "well, gee... I've been injured in defending myself, I guess I'll just lay down and let this attacker beat the crap out of me, because now that I'm injured I can no longer defend myself" - something that I certainly can't see you doing. This actually gives you a great chance to train a different way, to see what you can do that will let you work around your current limitations - which is, by the way, another great teaching technique; impose artificial limits on your students (spar with only your right hand and foot, or don't let them use their favorite kicks, things like that) and watch how quickly they grow, as they are forced into using less comfortable techniques.

I appreciate your words, Kacey & you're right. I guess it goes to show you how down I've gotten over this thing. Friends have had knee surgery & are back running since I've had this stupid injury. My doctor asked me how fond of running I was. He suggested biking or something else. I'm not sure I'm ready to just stop that for good at 40 years old.

I started in ernest stretching & doing ab work yesterday. I just bought a Canemaster cane & a rehab & a SD dvd. Yeah, they're still legal on planes.:)

I actually impose "artificial limits" on my students during sparring, sometimes. It really does stretch one's abilities, or at least thought process.

Thanks again for your encouragement!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An update.......

I went to UCLA again yesterday to see my progress. When they took the cast off, the Dr. wasn't happy with the fact my ankle didn't move much (he was hoping it would be more flexible) & that the knot in my calf wasn't smaller. Since a regular cast allows to much movement, I'm now in a plastic cast (that makes me look like Robocop) that absolutely keeps it immobile. I'll have this for 3 weeks. Hopefully, it will do what it's intended so I won't need surgery.

I ordered 2 Canemaster's canes & an SD & an exercise (rehab) dvd. I'm hoping I won't "need" them to walk, but as a help for exercise. I also really want to teach an exercise & SD program to Seniors. They arrive in a few weeks.

I really appreciate all the support & encouragement that I receive from you all here!:asian:

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK,

I hope things continue to get better. Keep your chin up and in good spirits. You have a lot of people pulling for you.

Latest Discussions