Injured & frustrated

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad that they're going to work on your range of motion in your ankle, and hopefully that will help a lot. Thanks for keeping us posted.

What? You aren't going to try out the summer dobak?!?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a bit of a bummer; I just hope they can definitively pinpoint what's going on. Keep us posted. Having to have your leg in a cast is a drag (literally); I hope that there's a payoff in the diagnostic outcome so that you finally know what the story is. Restricted range of motion... could be tendon damage, be neural probs, could be anything. At least with a nice clean fracture, there's no complication: they see it on the X-ray, they put you in a splint, six weeks later they take it off, and hey, presto, all is well. Soft tissue injuries,... they can drive you crazy. Stay cool and good luck—and let us know as soon as they tell you what's up.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a bit of a bummer; I just hope they can definitively pinpoint what's going on. Keep us posted. Having to have your leg in a cast is a drag (literally); I hope that there's a payoff in the diagnostic outcome so that you finally know what the story is. Restricted range of motion... could be tendon damage, be neural probs, could be anything. At least with a nice clean fracture, there's no complication: they see it on the X-ray, they put you in a splint, six weeks later they take it off, and hey, presto, all is well. Soft tissue injuries,... they can drive you crazy. Stay cool and good luck—and let us know as soon as they tell you what's up.

At the very least, I can still drive a car & work. Teaching last night was interesting to say the least. I have hope that these folks at least care enough to try to find out what's wrong. I just hope I'll be able to play the violin when this is all over.:uhyeah:

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
At the very least, I can still drive a car & work. Teaching last night was interesting to say the least. I have hope that these folks at least care enough to try to find out what's wrong. I just hope I'll be able to play the violin when this is all over.:uhyeah:

But, were you able to before? :p

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Would you like me to sacrifice a small, furry woodland creature for you as well?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But, were you able to before? :p

I'm thinking good thoughts for you. Would you like me to sacrifice a small, furry woodland creature for you as well?

I appreciate your willingness to help. No animal sacrifices are necessary. :uhyeah:

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the very least, I can still drive a car & work. Teaching last night was interesting to say the least. I have hope that these folks at least care enough to try to find out what's wrong.

Ice, they owe you a good answer. The range of diagnostic tools these guys have, use, and charge you for is astronomical (especially the charges :() There's absolutely no reason why they can't systematically eliminate all the possible-but-not-correct possibilities till they hit on the right one. I'm glad that you're still basically up and running.

I just hope I'll be able to play the violin when this is all over.:uhyeah:

Yeah, I know that joke... you won't believe how old it is! As in, I was a young kid when I heard it for the first time from my mother.... :lol:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman -

I haven't logged in for over a week (work has been brutal, etc.). I'm sorry you're having this problem - but at least now someone is doing something about it. Please keep us up to date on how your recovery is coming, and what else the doctor says.

Here's hoping it heals completely, with range of motion in your ankle better than before - for your time and trouble!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ice, they owe you a good answer. The range of diagnostic tools these guys have, use, and charge you for is astronomical (especially the charges :() There's absolutely no reason why they can't systematically eliminate all the possible-but-not-correct possibilities till they hit on the right one. I'm glad that you're still basically up and running.

It took two months screaming at my insurance company before they would pay for me to go to UCLA, after their doctors gave their half-hearted guesses as to what's wrong.

UCLA has already exceeded my expectations as far as care. I called them today because the cast rubbed on my toe enough to bleed (it just rubbed off a few layers of skin). They said "get here immediately." They removed the cast & put on a new one that is completely comfortable. I barely know it's on.

Money (that is, the insurance company) would be the only reason everything won't be done to make me 100%. The folks at UCLA have shown me they care more about me then to worry about how they are getting paid.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It took two months screaming at my insurance company before they would pay for me to go to UCLA, after their doctors gave their half-hearted guesses as to what's wrong.

UCLA has already exceeded my expectations as far as care. I called them today because the cast rubbed on my toe enough to bleed (it just rubbed off a few layers of skin). They said "get here immediately." They removed the cast & put on a new one that is completely comfortable. I barely know it's on.

Money (that is, the insurance company) would be the only reason everything won't be done to make me 100%. The folks at UCLA have shown me they care more about me then to worry about how they are getting paid.

This makes sense to me. A lot of university hospitals are particularly good in this respect. I'd expect our medical complex at OSU, which is one of the biggest midwestern hospitals, to act that way. Not sure why that is, but I think that the university connection makes them more patient- and less profit-oriented, no matter how cold-blooded the particular Med School deans try to be.

I think some of it comes from the research-hospital tradition. University hospitals are always teaching hospitals and are usually involved in very forward-edge research, at the frontier of knowledge. The people involved with them are heavily committed to breakthroughs at the fundamental level, much more than to bottom-line profitability. I'm very glad that that pattern held when you approached the UCLA team.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This makes sense to me. A lot of university hospitals are particularly good in this respect. I'd expect our medical complex at OSU, which is one of the biggest midwestern hospitals, to act that way. Not sure why that is, but I think that the university connection makes them more patient- and less profit-oriented, no matter how cold-blooded the particular Med School deans try to be.

I think some of it comes from the research-hospital tradition. University hospitals are always teaching hospitals and are usually involved in very forward-edge research, at the frontier of knowledge. The people involved with them are heavily committed to breakthroughs at the fundamental level, much more than to bottom-line profitability. I'm very glad that that pattern held when you approached the UCLA team.

I think being a 40 year old athlete with CP is also intriguing to them. Not many of their patients in their 30's run a 8:20 mile &/or competed in full contact rules kickboxing in their 20's. They were most interested in my flexibilty. Since muscle tightness is a big part of CP, they rarely, if ever see someone who has the ability to do nearly full splits. Hopefully, I'm not the last that they see.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is intreging for them, so maybe they can really get to the how to.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that joke... you won't believe how old it is! As in, I was a young kid when I heard it for the first time from my mother.... :lol:

I think it must be an old vaudeville joke. Henny Youngman & guys like that, I'd bet.