Injured & frustrated

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of you may know that I pulled a muscle in my right calf while running nearly 7 months ago. (At least that's how it was diagnosed).

Well 7 months later, it's exactly as it was the day it happened. I've had 3 months of physical therapy, an MRI, seen 2 orthopedic surgeons (both of which have said, "I don't know how to help you, or why you're still in pain.") & I've done everything that has been asked of me. I can barely train, as even 3 jumping jacks gives me pain. I used to demonstrate every technique to my students: now, I talk them through it. I've gained 25 lbs since this happened. Some days, I think I need a cane to walk, because it hurts that much. (CaneMasters here I come).

Next week, I go to UCLA Medical Center's Adult Cerebral Palsy Center to have them look at me. (I have a mild form of the disease that affects the right side of my body). I'm sure they don't have a "magic pill" for me, but I'm hoping for some answers.

My whole adult life I've seen myself as an athlete. Until this happened, I was running 3-4 miles, 3-4 days a week plus TKD training & running my school. Now, I teach & stretch...& that's about it. It's frustrating beyond explaination.

I don't have any BB students, but I do have a good support system of schools in my organization (& you folks here) that I'm most grateful for. It's hard to teach an energetic class when I'm in this spot.

Sorry for the downer, but I just wanted to let you know what going on. I appreciate your prayers.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Being injured and unable to train is never fun.

Hopefully the folks at UCLA Med can figure out why you are not recuperating (7 months seems like a long time especially since you've been treated and done what was prescribed).

I know the feeling of frustration while you recuperate-it is not an easy thing to do, but that too is part of the journey.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is water...pool exercises.

Man, I hear you. 7 month is a long time to be not right.

I hope you see some improvement soon! heck a diagnosis would be great!

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I sure hope they can do something for you! What else have you tried? Any massage, acupuncture, anything like that since real doctors can't seem to help?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman I was siedline for nearly ywo years while going though rehab, it is no fun all I can say is stay teaching and praying that it wll get better.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sure hope they can do something for you! What else have you tried? Any massage, acupuncture, anything like that since real doctors can't seem to help?

I have done massage, electro-stim, & ultrasound treatments in addition to homeopathic medicines as well. We'll see what happens next week before I try the next thing.

hpulley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I have done massage, electro-stim, & ultrasound treatments in addition to homeopathic medicines as well. We'll see what happens next week before I try the next thing.

Good luck with it!

I injured my right calf a week ago Friday doing hard front kicks into pads. Couldn't walk so went to the doctor and they said it was nothing (I was worried I might have ruptured my achilles or something). It still isn't perfect but thankfully it is getting better and is really getting better today after, af all things, some hikes with my son. Still, I tried a crescent kick yesterday and it still hurt so I know there is a way to go before I can return to full 100% training. Still it sounds like I should consider myself very lucky. In a small way I feel your pain and really hope you find a remedy.

Brad Dunne

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Iceman, sorry to hear you've got a problem. Here's hoping for a good report from UCLA Med.

Just a thought, here's a stretch you might want to try. It's for the calf. Facing the wall, place your hands on the wall and then backup as far as you can, keeping your heels on the ground. Once you reach this position. attempt to do a push up against the wall, don't let your heels raise up. Go slow and easy, it may offer some help.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman, sorry to hear you've got a problem. Here's hoping for a good report from UCLA Med.

Just a thought, here's a stretch you might want to try. It's for the calf. Facing the wall, place your hands on the wall and then backup as far as you can, keeping your heels on the ground. Once you reach this position. attempt to do a push up against the wall, don't let your heels raise up. Go slow and easy, it may offer some help.

Thanks Brad! I do a similiar stretch. I have a wedge that is 45 degrees. I put my foot on it I hold for 30 seconds. It stretches the same way. I also use a stretching strap & a therapy ball (for wall squats). I do all of these & more nearly every day.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iceman, I'm really sorry. NO words of wisdom or advice here...I keep you in my prayhers though that an answer or solution will come your way soon.

Hang in there.

Peace,
Erik

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Iceman,

You said you pulled a calf muscle while running. Look no muscle takes 7 months. Now is it just pain or does your leg collapse while doing things? Could you have torn a ligament with either a partial tear or complete tear?

If not, maybe an a blood clot or an infarction. Dead muscle can keep you in pain for a very very long time.

It's just it's am awfil long time and still hurting.

Deaf

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iceman,

You said you pulled a calf muscle while running. Look no muscle takes 7 months. Now is it just pain or does your leg collapse while doing things? Could you have torn a ligament with either a partial tear or complete tear?

If not, maybe an a blood clot or an infarction. Dead muscle can keep you in pain for a very very long time.

It's just it's am awfil long time and still hurting.

Deaf

The MRI has ruled out tears in the muscle & achilles tendon. I imagine the other things you mentioned aren't showing up on the MRI, either. Use is what causes the pain. (It can be really painfully even after a 1/2 mile walk.) The pain can wrap around my calf to my ankle. I haven't colapsed, it's just pain. It has changed my gate a bit after all this time, also. I've thought about dead muscle, but the pain isn't that severe. (I gague that by watching "House M.D."):ultracool The docs have not thought that as a possibility either. There is atrophy of the muscle, but that is explained by the CP.

I'm really glad to be heading to UCLA on Wednesday to find out why an injury that should heal in two weeks is not healed in 7 months.

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know how it feels to have an injury and not be able to train. : (

I hope you find out what's going on and get some pain relief.

Could it be related to the CP somehow?

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know how it feels to have an injury and not be able to train. : (

I hope you find out what's going on and get some pain relief.

Could it be related to the CP somehow?

Thanks karatemom, I appreciate your support.

I decided to go to UCLA's adult CP center out of concern that it might be related to CP. The other orthopedic docs didn't know why I still have this issue & they didn't seem to care, honestly.

Hopefully, some answers are forthcoming.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Iceman,

I wish I had some magic advice that would help your leg heal. The best I can offer is that I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully they will be able to find out why it doesn't seem to be healing.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ice, you are in my thoughts and prayers, Bro!

Please keep all of us here at MT apprised of whatever you find out on Wednesday.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I didn't know it was so severe, I'll definitely keep a good thought for you and have the kids include you in their prayers.

buldog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles Iceman. I can definitely relate. I have been having abdominal pain for 4 months and they still have no idea what is going on. I've had x-rays, ultrasounds, ct's, numerous blood tests, an Upper GI and next is a Endoscopic Ultrasound. After thousands of dollars there has been zero relief of the symptoms. My faith in modern medicine is not very high. Good luck at the next visit. Hopefully they can shed some light on the subject. If you are like me you just want to know what is going on. Try to keep your sprirts up!

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The only thing you can do right now is to focus on the positives, what CAN you do instead of what CAN'T you do.

You CAN still do forms/patterns.
You CAN still do hand techniques.
You CAN still learn new techniques, you need to learn techniques that do not involve using whatever is hurting you right now.
You CAN still learn self defence. In fact, you are going to have to change some of your self defence techniques to take into account your injury.

Lots of people say that there is so much more to Tae Kwon Do than just fancy kicks. Now is your chance to find out. I have heart troubles so I have been sidelined for a while, probably the rest of my life. So I cannot get up there and spar, I cannot do the kicks any more but I can still train. I learned Taeguk Yook-jang over the weekend which is several forms above my belt level. I have been running through self defence scenarios and acting them out in slow motion using various hand and foot techniques.

You can still do things, it might not be what you want to do but that is a part of getting older. I cannot run a mile in 4 1/2 minutes any more and I never will be able to again but at least I can look back and say that I could do that. I am a "has-been" runner not a "never-was".

You have found and explored the kicking part for many years and now it's time to find the rest of Tae Kwon Do.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just a WAG have they ruled out any circulatory problems, PAD or Diabetes? Have you tried massage therapy? How old are you?

Latest Discussions