Inheritors Of The Art

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
While surfing the web, reading various sites, and talking to different people in the Modern Arnis community, I've seen people talk about being an inheritor/successor to the art of Modern Arnis. Now, I'm sure that GM Remy said things to alot of people, and I'm sure that some people have taken advantage of the man. Hey, if he actually designated someone as a successor/inheritor, then so be it, as long as it was done with a clear head, knowing fully what he was doing.

So, are there in fact successors/inheritors of the art? If so, who are they? Should we have a successor/inheritor?

Hopefully we can have a good discussion here, and some of the lurkers will actually come out of the shadows and post. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMO, there was and always will be 1 person who was in charge of the art, and that man is GM Remy Presas. Just like Kajukenbo...there was only 1 Sijo. Kenpo...there was only 1 Ed Parker. Many people in these arts, never get promoted to 10th, instead, staying at 9th (GM) out of respect for the founders.

Sure, there are numerous Modern Arnis groups that continue to spread the art, in memory of GM Remy, but AFAIK, there isn't anyone who was deemed a successor/inheritor...well, unless they gave that title to themselves, I dont know.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow! 88 views, no replies other than mine. Somehow I'm not surprised. So many people pumping up their own events, so many making claims that they were with the Prof. so much....where are all these people now?

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As a student of the martial arts, wouldn't it be somewhat safe to say that all students are inheritors of the arts? Not in the sense that we're in charge of a system or organization, but the knowledge base itself of the arts. On the subject of Arnis, my only experience with it personnally came in the form of a seminar I attended back in the mid 80's with Jeff Arnold.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow! 88 views, no replies other than mine. Somehow I'm not surprised. So many people pumping up their own events, so many making claims that they were with the Prof. so much....where are all these people now?

A single person? I think the answer is no. I know he told people stuff in person. He once told me I could go to Sweden with him and be his protoge. I had to stay nad take tests for my classes for my degree from U of Mich. Remy understood. (* Yes I call him Remy, as he asked me too. Others caled him only Professor or GM or ... *)

I know he did have a few versions of wills floating around and some documents before that detailing the people who he wanted to be part of the board after his passing. That being said, I wonder if the Will (* not sure which one *) will ever be executed.

I think I am one of the people who is actively working to keep the art alive and spreading. By no means do I think I am the only (* Looks at last July in Buffalo for short list of people and add in all the other instructors who have clubs and schools *) as I know others are out there teaching and trying to do respect by their teacher.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately Professor Presas left us before I began my training, so I never had a chance to meet the fellow personally.

From what I understand, he promised many things to many people...he was a big-hearted guy who thought the world of those close to him.

I don't think there was or will be one successor. His students who have survived him have kept on keeping on....I happen to think the Professor would be overjoyed to see people still actively doing his art today.

On a secondary note...I think the notion of a "successor" is a dying concept....perhaps that's a topic better suited for another thread.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a student of the martial arts, wouldn't it be somewhat safe to say that all students are inheritors of the arts? Not in the sense that we're in charge of a system or organization, but the knowledge base itself of the arts. On the subject of Arnis, my only experience with it personnally came in the form of a seminar I attended back in the mid 80's with Jeff Arnold.

You know....I like that. :) Like I said, IMO, there can only be 1 Prof. I think that whether we directly or indirectly trained with him, we did 'inherit' a small piece, which hopefully is being spread to others, so the art lives on. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A single person? I think the answer is no. I know he told people stuff in person. He once told me I could go to Sweden with him and be his protoge. I had to stay nad take tests for my classes for my degree from U of Mich. Remy understood. (* Yes I call him Remy, as he asked me too. Others caled him only Professor or GM or ... *)

I know he did have a few versions of wills floating around and some documents before that detailing the people who he wanted to be part of the board after his passing. That being said, I wonder if the Will (* not sure which one *) will ever be executed.

I think I am one of the people who is actively working to keep the art alive and spreading. By no means do I think I am the only (* Looks at last July in Buffalo for short list of people and add in all the other instructors who have clubs and schools *) as I know others are out there teaching and trying to do respect by their teacher.

Hey Rich,

Hope that all is well. :) No, I didn't mean to imply 1 person, but instead many people. And yes, you're right, you're one of the many, who're keeping it alive. :) There are people who followed him around everywhere, there are some that trained with him from time to time. Like I said, I'm sure the said alot of different things to people, but as I said, since the words were being tossed around, I was just looking for clarification.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately Professor Presas left us before I began my training, so I never had a chance to meet the fellow personally.

Fortunately, I had the chance to meet/train with him a few times.

From what I understand, he promised many things to many people...he was a big-hearted guy who thought the world of those close to him.

True, and this is why I made the inquiry with this thread. :)

I don't think there was or will be one successor. His students who have survived him have kept on keeping on....I happen to think the Professor would be overjoyed to see people still actively doing his art today.

Well, I'd like to this that, but going on what I've seen, I have to wonder.

On a secondary note...I think the notion of a "successor" is a dying concept....perhaps that's a topic better suited for another thread.

IMO, they're one in the same, no?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think if you had the opportunity to train with him or with one of his instructors and this training had meaning to you then you are an "inheritor" in some manner. There was no one person who inherited "Modern Arnis" from him. There were however many, many people that his teachings affected in a fantastic manner! He was a true inspiration to so many!

mtbates

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's one of them. I'm holding in my hand the Last Will and Testament of Remy A. Presas. It was written on my computer, in my home, with my wife as a legal witness. In it is states: "I direct that my executor form a legal corporation to promote the Art of Modern Arnis. I direct that the mission of this organization will be to promote,teach,and preserve the Art of Modern Arnis, which has been my life's passion and work....." quite obiviously, this was never done and those responsible failed miserably. Additionally, along with this authors name, several other names were included as members of this board. To this day, I have never been contacted in any way shape or form
For those interested, please go to www.remypresasimaf.com. You will see I list myself as a "guardian" of Modern Arnis. In fact, although he had ample time, the late Professor never named a successor per se. Rather, he entrusted many people to carry on his "life's passion and work"
How's that for a reply???

mtbates

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh yea, at the same time the will was being done, we had had an awesome seminar, and I was hosting a birthday party for T.J. Hartman. May 14th 2000.
talk about multi-tasking!!!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's one of them. I'm holding in my hand the Last Will and Testament of Remy A. Presas. It was written on my computer, in my home, with my wife as a legal witness. In it is states: "I direct that my executor form a legal corporation to promote the Art of Modern Arnis. I direct that the mission of this organization will be to promote,teach,and preserve the Art of Modern Arnis, which has been my life's passion and work....." quite obiviously, this was never done and those responsible failed miserably. Additionally, along with this authors name, several other names were included as members of this board. To this day, I have never been contacted in any way shape or form
For those interested, please go to www.remypresasimaf.com. You will see I list myself as a "guardian" of Modern Arnis. In fact, although he had ample time, the late Professor never named a successor per se. Rather, he entrusted many people to carry on his "life's passion and work"
How's that for a reply???

Interestingly enough, I did see inheritor, but that has since changed. Anyways, I was just curious, as there do seem to be people out there that use certain titles. I was just curious if the Prof. ever officially appointed anyone or if people took advantage of him, during his last days.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, thats an oldie...lol. However, that thread, IMO, just goes on to further prove my point....that there was alot of questionable things that went on. IMO I'd also imagine that if a real, true will were out there, that it'd be done in a professional fashion, ie: in a mutual location, such as in the presence of a lawyer, have it notarized, etc, rather than in someones house, with others signing on behalf of someone, etc.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into bunch of details here, but Remy was a gypsy. It would be hard for my to get him into a firm with the schedule he had. Remy did things on the road because of his life style.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not going to get into bunch of details here, but Remy was a gypsy. It would be hard for my to get him into a firm with the schedule he had. Remy did things on the road because of his life style.

True, but one would think that given the importance of it.....

but in any case, since that wasnt done, thus the end result.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, but one would think that given the importance of it.....

but in any case, since that wasnt done, thus the end result.

Mike,

This is my personal belief only. I have no proof no conversation with him, only putting pieces of data together.

When Remy left the Phillipines after his ambassador passport was taken form him by the government. It was around the issue of the President at the time Marcos who wanted control of the system. If he had set up a permanent structor with a single person it would make it too easy for someone to use laws he did not know to take his life's work from him. He saw it start to crumble in his homeland, and left the country and moved to the US. If you see the regions of the people over time he worked with, you see that he might say something slightly different in terms for a technique, but it fit with the local school or with the local region. His point was that he wanted to teach and have people learn and be happy. Not deal with people who might be trying to scam him.

Just my opinion. I have no proof. So read with a grain of salt.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes sense to me Rich. Spread it out so no one can possibly 'take' it all. You end up with a nice diverse group of "brother and sister" styles, similar enough to be family, but just that hair different enough to not be 'clones'.

Latest Discussions