Information on "Yon Bee"

zohran

White Belt
Reaction score
I was watching a dvd that had a form called 'Yon Bee' on it. The DVD was by Master Young Kil Song.

I don't recognize it and i'd like to find out more history on it. Does anyone have more information on this form?

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
This form is from Okinawa. "Yon Bee" is not a well-known name for the form. Look up resources on the form ,"Wan Shu." Same form, differnt name.

R. McLain

I was watching a dvd that had a form called 'Yon Bee' on it. The DVD was by Master Young Kil Song.

I don't recognize it and i'd like to find out more history on it. Does anyone have more information on this form?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This form most closely resembles the Shotokan form Empi. Instead of knees kicks, the Korean version uses side kicks. There are some other differences also. I would be interested if someone could take a look at the kanji and let us know if they are the same, just pronounced differently.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any youtube links available?

I can read the kanji/hanja if someone can link to them....

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
There will be stylistic differences that will vary as often as from instructor-to-instructor in many cases. But, Maunakumu is correct, this form is also known as "Empi."

You could probably find lots of videos and information online from a search on either of these names.

R. McLain

This form most closely resembles the Shotokan form Empi. Instead of knees kicks, the Korean version uses side kicks. There are some other differences also. I would be interested if someone could take a look at the kanji and let us know if they are the same, just pronounced differently.

OP
zohran

zohran

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to have to watch that dvd again. Either i was totally asleep when i watched it or i looked at the wrong name. :)

I know Wan-Shu/Empi, it's one of the forms i do at tournaments. So i would have recognized it even with style differences. I'll watch the dvd again and own up to my 'brain fart' later i guess....lol

Thanks again for the info though. You all are a great source of information!

Muwubu16858

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Young Kil Song happens to be a former friend of my teacher. However, my teacher told me a few years ago not to use his tapes as a reference. If anyone is interested why, pm me.

Latest Discussions