Information on Mark Shuey and Canemasters

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kidswarrior has said that Jimmo the Cane Man has some great stuff. All done by a guy with MS that refuses to let the world go by without him. I think he's going to make my wallet lighter before too long.

Someday, I have to meet this guy for a cup of coffee. I got the feeling that he could spend all day talking about canes, zydeco music, and old trucks and I'd never get bored listening to him.

www.caneman2.com
Bless you, my child, for remembering. :asian: Jimmo will indeed do whatever customized work you want, and he'll ask your opinion all through the process (complete with pics of the raw stock, etc). He made my staff, and I'd take it everywhere if I could.

RE: Shuey. I have one of his combat canes, and my feeling is, for a MAist, they're a serious weapon. The dvd's have already gotten a fair amount of coverage here, so...

But for an elderly person, there're considerations such as bone mass, balance while wielding the cane, strength to perform techniques, and self-confidence. I think all these could be overcome, but would want to see the person train for awhile before I 'turned them loose' with the confidence that it would work for them. Just mho.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bless you, my child, for remembering. :asian: Jimmo will indeed do whatever customized work you want, and he'll ask your opinion all through the process (complete with pics of the raw stock, etc). He made my staff, and I'd take it everywhere if I could.

He sounds like an outstanding craftsman. There are a few places out there where one can buy decent sticks and canes...but to support the efforts of a guy that, one way or the other, has to fight every day of his life...that is a warrior. That's where I want my money to go. ;)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never did get a response from GM Shuey about whether Seniors who need canes would be able to use his course effectively. I've gotten a lot more experience spending time with my mother-in-law & teaching other people, I think I can answer my own question, now. Since folks who use canes need them for balance, moving quickly with it in your hand as a blocking or striking weapon probably won't be happening. There are great exercise videos (or so I'm told) for Seniors that Shuey has, however.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never did get a response from GM Shuey about whether Seniors who need canes would be able to use his course effectively. I've gotten a lot more experience spending time with my mother-in-law & teaching other people, I think I can answer my own question, now. Since folks who use canes need them for balance, moving quickly with it in your hand as a blocking or striking weapon probably won't be happening. There are great exercise videos (or so I'm told) for Seniors that Shuey has, however.
I think you've found your answer Iceman! You seem to be following the lead of Seneca (quote in my sig). :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are great exercise videos (or so I'm told) for Seniors that Shuey has, however.

He has a complete band system for exercise..I own it and it would challenge the most serious athlete at the upper levels...For Senior Citizens it would work just as well.. I will PM you his email addy....He had some trouble in the past and had to get a new one....

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iceman, you can go to the Yahoo! group "Ultimate Weapon" and Schuey posts there on occasion. He and I have messaged back and forth there (a long time ago).

AoG

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you should ever be afforded the oppertunity to attend a seminar with him make sure you attend his Yoga class too...He has flexibility that would shame a 20 year old...

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wanted to revive this old thread as I had an opportunity to attend a seminar with GM Shuey and CM Staloch this past weekend in Utica NY. I was interested as some foot injuries (thankfully mostly healed now) had me thinking I might be needing a cane to get around.

The only contact I'd had with the organization before was with their basic manual, a well put together book. I'm considering a video next.

Definitely got my money's worth, in fact the seminar ran overtime. No wasted time, this event moved along at a good pace. Despite being an outsider, I got plenty of personal attention from both GM Shuey and CM Stalloch.... and there was no hard sell at beginning or end, either.

As to whether certain techniques would work for (or against) certain people, I was impressed when GM Shuey personally came up when I was having trouble making a technique work against a larger partner/attacker. He told me I could not use this one against a much bigger attacker, and proceeded to show me 3 other ways of dealing with this assault. He stressed later to the group how each person needed to consider what would and would not work in specific situations. One exercise was even based on an initial technique not stopping an attacker, who proceeds to grab your cane.

I'm not one of those guys who thinks one seminar makes you a nidan; I only scratched the surface of what appears (to me) to be a surprisingly deep and refined art. Given the opportunity, I'll hopefully be able to train with them again.

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wanted to revive this old thread as I had an opportunity to attend a seminar with GM Shuey and CM Staloch this past weekend in Utica NY. I was interested as some foot injuries (thankfully mostly healed now) had me thinking I might be needing a cane to get around.

The only contact I'd had with the organization before was with their basic manual, a well put together book. I'm considering a video next.

Definitely got my money's worth, in fact the seminar ran overtime. No wasted time, this event moved along at a good pace. Despite being an outsider, I got plenty of personal attention from both GM Shuey and CM Stalloch.... and there was no hard sell at beginning or end, either.

As to whether certain techniques would work for (or against) certain people, I was impressed when GM Shuey personally came up when I was having trouble making a technique work against a larger partner/attacker. He told me I could not use this one against a much bigger attacker, and proceeded to show me 3 other ways of dealing with this assault. He stressed later to the group how each person needed to consider what would and would not work in specific situations. One exercise was even based on an initial technique not stopping an attacker, who proceeds to grab your cane.

I'm not one of those guys who thinks one seminar makes you a nidan; I only scratched the surface of what appears (to me) to be a surprisingly deep and refined art. Given the opportunity, I'll hopefully be able to train with them again.

Hello,
A student of mine has trained, fairly extensively, with the CaneMasters system.

He has nothing but nice things to say about them and has become quite proficient with a cane. He is not a "youngster" and actually had to use a cane for awhile.

Their products are first rate, but not cheap. I have an instructors model, myself. They make some nice "Arnis" sticks as well. I received a set as a gift.

He said that Mr. Shuey is one of the most approachable and easy going seminar presenters out there. I would welcome him to my school anytime.

I highly recommend Mr. Shuey and CaneMasters goods and services!

Thank you,
Milt G.

Latest Discussions