Information on Mark Shuey and Canemasters

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I figured that since Mark Shuey is a KMAist, I'd post this here. I've checked his website and I've seen some of his canes. Does anyone have any experience with the system? If so, what do you think? How about his products? Which would you recommend?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings.
His canes ( I own 2 of them) and DVD's are top notch..If you happen to attend a seminar where he is featured he always brings a nice collection of canes for sale at a reduced rate..He is always willing to help someone with a question about a technique when he is not instructing..His actual teaching is style is great and his "stuff" is REAL..Take it of one who volunteered to be the Uke..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
Greetings.
His canes ( I own 2 of them) and DVD's are top notch..If you happen to attend a seminar where he is featured he always brings a nice collection of canes for sale at a reduced rate..He is always willing to help someone with a question about a technique when he is not instructing..His actual teaching is style is great and his "stuff" is REAL..Take it of one who volunteered to be the Uke..

Drac:

Since you've had some expereience w/ Master Shuey & the DVD's, I have a question. Would the DVD's be helpful for non-martial artist Seniors? I've thought about this for my mother-in-law (who uses a cane) & other seniors where she lives. My concern is that the teaching is only helpful if you already have MA experience, mindset & strength, balance, etc. Not things most Seniors (who use canes have). Whatda think?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am stuck for an answer..I found his DVD's very imformative and helpful but I have an MA backround..Why not send him an e-mail and ask what DVD's he would recommend..Sorry I couldn't provide a better answer..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drac said:
I am stuck for an answer..I found his DVD's very imformative and helpful but I have an MA backround..Why not send him an e-mail and ask what DVD's he would recommend..Sorry I couldn't provide a better answer..

Your answer is an honest one...& much appreciated. A lot of MA-ists would expound on the virtues of something they found helpful to them as if it were from Gom Himself, & accessible to all.

Thanks for your honest response. I'll write Master Shuey. Hopefully, he'll be as honest.

Thanks again.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree with DRAC all the way around. I own a few of his canes, as well as the DVDs. The canes are an excellent piece of craftsmanship; very sturdy and dependable. The DVD instructional series is organized well and is not overly complicated. I've been lucky enough to attend a few seminars hosted by an Aikido instructor here who has been working with the cane for years, as well as two of GM Shuey's seminars at the Black Belt magazine festival in August. He is indeed very approachable and generous with his time. I hope that was informative for you. Good luck in your cane adventures!

-Garry

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I emailed Master Shuey this morning. Hopefully, I'll get a response that will help. Thanks, Moose & Drac.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still awaiting a reply from Master Shuey. It just seems to me that if one is a Senior & NEEDS a cane to get around, the techniques that one could teach them (& have them be effective) would be techniques that required little mobility on the part of the Senior w/ the cane.

Am I making sense?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You would be better off buying a tape from a hapkido guy on the cane (I own 3 of the canemasters tapes)

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
May I ask why not? I don't have a bone to pick, just an interested parry just trying to get some info out of this thread.

-Fluff

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the same questions as the rabbit. Huh, the Rabbit, sir:asian: .

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
You would be better off buying a tape from a hapkido guy on the cane ...

Which tape in particular are you recommending. I have seen two of the Shuey DVDs and also own a cane. I'll buy a more deluxe (Sunday/Go-to-beatin') model very shortly.

I like the cane very well indeed. After a short one-year stint at Ninjutsu with all its wholly impractical-for-modern-life weapon variety I am now wholly in favor of the cane. I can get that satisfying whoosh which never came easily with the jo or any other mostly-medieval toy.

Shuey's DVDs were okay as things go. The sound on the exercise DVD would have benefited form a radio mic. But that is my only real complaint as the info was plenty good enough. I suppose some hanbo techniques would adapt themselves well to the cane.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There is a hapkido guy from the panther tapes that are much more informative then Shuey's tapes

Namu

White Belt
Reaction score
Any more thoughts on this? I'm strongly considering the DVD's.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I figured that since Mark Shuey is a KMAist, I'd post this here. I've checked his website and I've seen some of his canes. Does anyone have any experience with the system? If so, what do you think? How about his products? Which would you recommend?

I have one of his canes, & I would recommend other sources just because of the price. Ed Martin, for one, has great tools for very reasonable prices. Mark's canes are, however, wonderful tools.

His dvds are great. I could give or take the "winning kata" section, but I really enjoyed the dvds, great info, no filler to speak of.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Canemaster vids are pretty good and are worth buying.
Don't get the winning kata tape. It is not needed.
http://www.canemasters.com/selfdefe...8.html?zenid=0d57f551130450448c7568bb560e5ec7
That deal is excellent. You get two videos and one cane for $99.
I would highly recommend buying that set. The tapes are $40 each, so you are getting a great cane as well. He has lots of videos, but there are only 4 that I would recommend buying.
Another thing is you can get a cane at a drug store that is decent. Just make sure the crook is very wide so you can spin it around your fist. Also, the crook should fit around the back of a person's neck.
The Canemaster canes are better, but you can get some decent ones elsewhere.

AoG

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What wood do they use in the Canemaster canes?

They have several types of woods ranging from oak to hickory to exotic. You can choose if you have the moola. They will make a cane for you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kidswarrior has said that Jimmo the Cane Man has some great stuff. All done by a guy with MS that refuses to let the world go by without him. I think he's going to make my wallet lighter before too long.

Someday, I have to meet this guy for a cup of coffee. I got the feeling that he could spend all day talking about canes, zydeco music, and old trucks and I'd never get bored listening to him.

www.caneman2.com

Latest Discussions