Information on Dr. Gyi???

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Then why all the pictures of him wearing uniforms with the patches and general stars, berets, boots etc. while conducting seminars?

I don't know, ask him next time you see him, or are you happier making up your own reasons. I know I like to wear the BDUs for utilitarian reasons.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
My argument is simply that then, as today, being a Gurkha doesn't mean being from the Gurkha tribe or village, or even being Nepalese. Imagine how much less picky they were in a war and when there was an army of Japanese on their way throught the jungles of Burma.
Tgace's post above yours trumps that it seems.

Why are you ignoring so much stuff that points to false claims for this guy? The 'phonies' site thing alone has documentation about no records of mililtary service, attendance at colleges, no POW stuff....if it was one or two fine, but almost every thing he says is a lie it seems.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RickRed said:
Tgace's post above yours trumps that it seems.

Why are you ignoring so much stuff that points to false claims for this guy? The 'phonies' site thing alone has documentation about no records of mililtary service, attendance at colleges, no POW stuff....if it was one or two fine, but almost every thing he says is a lie it seems.

I'm trying not to ingnor anything, but if you want me to adaquately rebuff statement with recorded facts you have to leave time to me to 1) type, 2) gather and quote sources, 3) take into consideration that I am for the most part answering 3 people at once and at 12:30 on a work night.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gurkhas can and do serve in Nepal to provide the administrative infrastructure for the key functions of British Gurkhas Nepal (recruiting, resettlement, pension paying and welfare):

Attachments

• $gurkha.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 256

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I'm trying not to ingnor anything, but if you want me to adaquately rebuff statement with recorded facts you have to leave time to me to 1) type, 2) gather and quote sources, 3) take into consideration that I am for the most part answering 3 people at once and at 12:30 on a work night.

take all the time you want. So far, your Wiki link is not supporting your idea that non Nepalese can be Gurkha's. Even if they are/were like the French Foreign Legion, where citizenship is part of joining, who would recruit a 10 year old on the records at any time?

have you looked at the links? Dude, he is a sham. Why are you standing up for him? Exercise in discussion? Student? What?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RickRed said:
have you looked at the links? Dude, he is a sham. Why are you standing up for him? Exercise in discussion? Student? What?

How bout both. I have met, trained with and known Doc for a while and have heard all this before. Hell, look at some of the other posts here to see. I'm going to dedicate the next ten minutes to finding a few quotes for a publication describing the recruiting practices of WWII era Gurkha units, just to take the extra step in this discussion, though consequently I am past the point of caring if you or anyone else here believe or not.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shouldnt have to be a matter of "belief"....

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
How bout both. I have met, trained with and known Doc for a while and have heard all this before. Hell, look at some of the other posts here to see. I'm going to dedicate the next ten minutes to finding a few quotes for a publication describing the recruiting practices of WWII era Gurkha units, just to take the extra step in this discussion, though consequently I am past the point of caring if you or anyone else here believe or not.
Have you ever tried discussing this credibility thing with him? How about how old he really is? That shouldn't be top secret. Seems like personallity may have outshined credibility with him.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:

While it doesn't quite cover distinctly the ethnicity issue and it was from a slightly post-war era, it does illustrate the DOB issue.

"The End of a Long Journey"
By Major (Retired) Balkrishna Rana Mbe
Darasalam, Brunei

". . . To me, the place seemed full of strange youthes. Many spoke their own dialects. For the first time I met the Rais, Lumbus and Sunuwars looking distinctly apart in their traditional attire and carrying khukuris. . . . . .The day of enlistment was 30th October 1956, to be forever etched in my memory. From then on, that date also became the official day of my birth in all the important personal documents."

"Everyone looked strangely the same and difficult to recognize in khaki uniforms. I was put in a Boy Section and was completely isolated from my group."

With that as a closing comment, I will say this also; Doc has spent a great portion of his later years honoring vets, with ceremonies, demostrations, volunteer work, and simply visits and talks. Keep in mind that the American Bando Association is a non-profit organization and that its primary tenent and goal is honoring our nation's and other nation's vetrans of war.

Good night.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heres a site on the 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles. The unit Dr. Gyi claims.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Gurkha_Rifles

The regiment was originally formed as the 1st Regiment of Burma Infantry after the amalgamation of the 10th Regiment of Madras Infantry with the Kabo Valley Military Police Battalion.

In just five years the regiment was subject to three name changes. In 1890 it became the 10th (Burma) Regiment of Madras Infantry and the following year its title was altered to become the 10th Regiment (1st Burma Battalion) of Madras Infantry. It became the 10th Regiment (1st Burma Rifles) of Madras Infantry in 1892 and in 1895 it gained its Gurkha distinction when it became the 10th Regiment (1st Burma Gurkha Rifles) of Madras Infantry

In 1901 it became the 10th Gurkha Rifles and the regiment maintained its tradition of recruiting from the Limbu and Rai tribal areas of eastern Nepal. In 1903 a 2nd Battalion was formed though it became the 1st Battalion, 7th Gurkha Rifles in 1907. A new 2nd Battalion of the 10th Gurkha Rifles was formed in 1908. The regiment ostensibly saw service in the Burma area.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I didn't say you couldn't handle the truth, I mearly implied that you had closed your mind to all other possiblilties, other than that he is a fraud.

You say it your way, I say it mine. But it is insulting to refuse to give proof on the excuse that people are not wanting it and have closed minds.

So...give me some proof and I will change mine.

All I have seen is a lot of "what ifs" and some attacks on people making note of the problems with his stories.

Come on! Instead of speculating that Gyi's official birth date may be wrong, can you get some real information on when he was? That goes for damn near everything he says. All I hear are some pretty big theories on how maybe, just maybe things may be as he says they are. Just take a look at all the problems with idea of Ghurkas being from someplace other than Nepal. I have yet to see anything official that says they were recruited from Burma- but that does not seem to stop people from specualting and grasping at straws.

Bob asked about the validity of the phoney vet sites. After some thought I would like to point out that the frauds these people talk about are pretty slimy folks. If there was any problems with the facts they blow people out of the water with can anyone doubt that folks like Jack Stern would hesitate to cry havoc and release the attornies of law? Yet theya re doing well and they never seem to have had legal trouble. To me that speaks of some pretty good covering ones tail and making sure that there was nothing these folks could use against them.

Let us start with one thing and start from there. The only official record I have seen listed here of Gyi's birth makes him ten years old in 1943. So his claims of being a ghurka- claims he freely made and allows to be used for promotion is false.

Let us put aside the snide comments about how we are too closed minded to handle anything other than he is a fraud and start from there. If people think that the official records may be wrong- find proof and verifiable fact instead of playing a complicated game of 'what if' and sniping at the other side.

The records I know about paints Gyi as a fraud. You want me to change my opinion- get evidence and facts. Any other claims can't be believed without proof considering that, A) He is a self promoting liar and B) The massive amounts of claims he makes should have something to back them up.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion right now the preponderance of evidence does
not look favorable for Dr. Gyi! That does not mean I have
totally sold him down the river, so to speak! It just means
that it does not look good! However, as to his birth age. I
may be able to shed some slight iffiness on this subject! My
father in law is Indian and he has two birthdays! One is his
real birthday and the other one is the day his father registered
his birthday as! they are quite far apart if my memory serves
me correctly! This is by no means in support or against Dr. Gyi!

As to all the other claims and veterans websites I just don't know
or really care all that much. I will never probably train with Gyi
so at this point it is irrelevant!

However, claiming a military career, rank, etc. is just plain rotten
IMO! Anyone caught doing this should suffer the appropriate
punishment.

People that lie about their use of martial arts in military, LEO,
Security, work related or other to boost their standing is just
wrong! I for one would rather train with someone who is just
honest about who and what they are!

Brian R. VanCise

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've never met Dr. Gyi. No one seems to dispute his physical and teaching skills. His personal history however seems to be tatally fabricated. It appears that we have a talented martial artist with a personality disorder. this shouldn't be too big a surprize. Martial arts history is riddled with similar people and claims.

The real question for each person is "which is more important, Talent or character?" We need to make our own personal decisions and allow others to make theirs.

Personally I would have trouble making someone who so badly abused the truth as my instructor. I might go to a seminar however.

Talented Martial artists can have all the frailties known to man. They can also have the good qualities, sometimes in a mix complex enough to make us uncomfortable.

Jeff

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is obvious that neither side is going to yield. Because of some the antics on this thread, 2 MT members have been suspended and I don’t plan on being added to that list. So the following are my parting thoughts:

I have never Gyi claim to be in Desert Storm, a General or being a weapons inspector. I understand how some rumors may be fabricated by others. One while I was teaching in Sweden someone asked me if it was true that I worked for the C.I.A. I quickly dispelled that rumor.

When I met Gyi it was at a Kenpo camp and he was teaching martial arts. He was knowledgeable, skilled and was very approachable. This is the man I got to know! When I host him for seminars he doesn’t tell any of these tall stories that people claim he does. We have had intense workouts with a lot of information being shared. As far as attending martial arts seminars go, you will be hard pressed to find better ones.

I can’t comment about what he does when I’m not around, but the events that I have attended I don’t feel he tries to use his military stories to promote himself and get more seminars. He doesn’t approach people to host him for seminars, they approach him.

Now I have tried to be nice on this thread. I’ve offered the opportunity for Tom (a local MT member) to swing by and meet with Gyi so he could ask questions, get answers and report back to our fellow members. His response without meeting Gyi, He guilty, guilty, guilty!!!!!

I’m a civilian, and that might be the problem here. I have no personal interest if Gyi’s military claims are bogus or not. I respect that the vet as well as active military personal may have problems with Gyi, but I’m divorce of that situation. Members in my school just got back from Iraq and I’ve asked them their opinion. They don’t care either way, and plan on attending the seminar. Now if people want to attack me for this then do so. I feel that I’m in good company of people who feel the same way including Danny Inosanto, Joe Lewis, Marc Denny, my teacher (the late GM Remy Presas) and the list goes on.

The problem is that this thread was started to screw with the MT staff and then others jumped in during the frenzy. I don’t have a problem with any of my fellow MTers for having a different opinion on this. The only person involved with this that I do have issues with Robert Rouuselot for initially trying to undermined my seminar. I look forward to future exchanges on other thread that we will most undoubting take turns agreeing and disagreeing with each other.

Respectfully,

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. "

H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to add..I e-mailed the owner of the phony veteran site featured here and explained to him that some people doubt his research methods. He responded to me that if the research posted on his site was false he would have been sued by now. Apparently some have tried....

As to this whole "meet the man" thing. Believe me I have no problem meeting and /or talking to people if it is going to accomplish anything. I recall calling a martial arts instructor once at his request and when I did he really had nothing to say. If I did meet Mr. Gyi what would happen? a) I show up and start grilling the man on his military history during your seminar and I look like an ***. b) You are hoping that I dont show up so you can use that as a "A-HA!" point (or that I do show up and dont have the guts to start asking questions) c) Mr. Gyi denies making any military claims (even though a LOT of his previous literature and seminar announcements feature it prominently) d) He tells me a load of **** and we are at square one again. What do you forsee the outcome to be?

If he were willing to answer questions wouldnt the best route be to correspond with him courteously and more importantly privately? Have you cleared it with him that you are inviting people to this seminar to question him on this controversial topic???

I never meet Mr. Calkins either...were we all wrong about him too?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tom, It's not that I doubt their methods, it's that I know full well how easy it is for anyone to claim anything on the internet. Or misunderstand and misrepresent things. I've never claimed to be an instructor, a teacher or such, yet have been personally crucified for supposedly saying I was. I see some of that here. Things possibly taken out of context, embelished by others and blamed on Gyi. You know I often reference Thomas Jefferson. In my research I've found many supposed things said by him that in fact weren't. There's a Carlin rant floating around that isn't his, etc.

Is that the case here? Dunno. Partially I'm sure, but I don't see that as the whole picture.

If the PV sites do quality research (which was my concern), then I'm content to see them as a reliable resource. I have no interest in this matter other than the truth. That's it. Present all the intel, all the options and let folks decide for themselves.

Personally, I think if one is dishonest in 1 aspect of their life, it reflects on all of their life. If Gyi lied about his military background, did he also lie about his martial background? If he did, then how hard is it to keep the lies straight over decades? Especially considering the names and organizations he has trained and trained with that have been verified?

I don't think we will know the full truth here. My opinion is train with him or don't. Talk to those who have, some names were mentioned. Read the PV sites. Then, form your own opinion and train.

As to the PV sites themselves, the quality ones serve a valuable purpose. There are many individuals who have made such claims, and having the information in a few central locations that can be referenced quickly is a great service towards educating the average person.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as Im concerned Bob, Mr. Gyi's own promotional posters and websites and information put out for his seminars tell the story in themselves. How is that all "misunderstood"? This poster was as recent as 2004. The claims there are quite clear....