Information on Dr. Gyi???

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
As a side topic...I always thought the Gurkha Regiments were strictly Nepalese.

The original Gurkha tribe is an ethnic group in Nepal, but the military unit is/was a British fighting group of mixed ethnicities, including Rais, Gurkhas and other local Nepalese and Indian tribes. During WWII the group included ethnicities into both India and Burma, and even included the occational Naga or Kachin tribesman. Currently, there are two types of Gurkha units, Indian and British. When the British abandoned or were fought off (depending on who you ask) India as a colony under the India Trading Company, they agreed over time to give India half of their Gurkha unit and take the other half with them to Britain.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really? This is from the British Military...maybe it was different in WWII.

http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/brigade_background.htm

Gurkha recruiting takes place once a year in Nepal. The British Army maintains a skeleton recruiting structure based on the British Gurkha Camp at Pokhara, in the West of Nepal. In a process that begins in September each year, local recruiters, known as Galla Wallahs, recruit a specified number of young men from their respective areas in the hills of both west and east Nepal. The pool of young hopefuls is further reduced at a second stage in the process. Here, senior retired Gurkha officers select a final tranche of potential recruits at a number of hill selection sites. These individuals then move down to Pokhara where a stringent and demanding final selection process is conducted by British and Gurkha officers. Once selected, the lucky few are flown to the UK to start recruit training and a career in the Brigade of Gurkhas. The number of Gurkhas recruited depends on the Brigade’s annual manning needs. The figure is currently around 230. Last year there were 28,000 applicants for 230 places.

The organisation of the Brigade of Gurkhas is continuously under review. Under current arrangements there are no plans to recruit additional Gurkhas to alleviate under-manning in the British Army. The drawdown dates of the Gurkha Reinforcement Companies have already been extended and a second Gurkha Engineer Squadron and a second Gurkha Signals Squadron have recently been formed.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
let's give Tom a minute a two to answer your questions. while we wait, ponder this:

one of many Gyi claims:

by all accounts, ie drivers license, Ohio University, Gyi was born in 1933. the first Long Range Penetration Patrol was organized in 1943 and was designated the 5307th Composite Group, not 1360. the 5307th was the brainchild of FDR, Winston Churchill, and Brigadier General Frank Merrill. this was a United States Army unit. the unit was consolidated with the 475th Infantry on August 10, 1944. on June 21, 1954, the 475th was redesignated the 75th Infantry. it is from the redesignation of Merrill's Marauders into the 75th Infantry Regiment that the modern-day 75th Ranger Regiment traces its current unit designation. Gyi would have been 10 years old at the time of the unit's organization. so we were letting 10 year olds into the US Army? if he was an original member of the LRPP, his name would be known to many and there would certainly be record of it.

let's not forget, at the time of all this alleged war fighting, records will show Gyi was attending highschool.

Again documented age is unreliable. It is possible that he was enlisted to the youth corps when he was up to 15 and since his enlistment date would be his recorded birthdate, he could beas much as 15 years older than any documentation lists. It isn't hard to believe that early WWII deep penetration groups like Merril's Mauraders and the Chindits, used many guides and local villagers to aid in thier missions (yes, even ten year olds), I would imagine that they wouldn't bother recording them as enlisted, considering they weren't actually soldiers.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tough to attend school and fight a jungle war at the same time.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Really? This is from the British Military...maybe it was different in WWII.

http://www.army.mod.uk/brigade_of_gurkhas/history/brigade_background.htm

Here is a short description of the history of the Gurkhas. It matches up with most of my research and the majority of the 8 publications of their history that have read and have on hand. I pretty sure it is the same WWII, but you ar more than welcome to ask any of the authors. I'll even give you their name and if your less of a pain their emails from the last time I contacted them during research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

"After Indian independence – and partition – in 1947 and under the Tripartite Agreement, seven Gurkha regiments joined the post-independence India Army. Four Gurkha regiments joined the British Army."

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Tough to attend school and fight a jungle war at the same time.

Not to mention how many Gyis, M. Gyis, Winston Gyis, ect. there are and were in Burma at the time.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Again documented age is unreliable. It is possible that he was enlisted to the youth corps when he was up to 15 and since his enlistment date would be his recorded birthdate, he could beas much as 15 years older than any documentation lists. It isn't hard to believe that early WWII deep penetration groups like Merril's Mauraders and the Chindits, used many guides and local villagers to aid in thier missions (yes, even ten year olds), I would imagine that they wouldn't bother recording them as enlisted, considering they weren't actually soldiers.
Ya, but how come there are no more reliable records of his years of legitimate military time? I mean the guy says he was in the US military, and pretty high ranking. THe good old boy network was almost created by the military/elitist food chain, why isn't there any reference by Gyi about working with XYZ other officers by name? Ollie North, Schwartzcopf....The higher you go the small er the circle of friends. Someone would ahve to know him.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno..it still appears that all the Gurkhas mentioned in that site still originated in Nepal. Some went to the British army and others the Indian.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
If he wasnt marketing himself to military and LEO circles with his crafted military history thats one story. When you are obviously selling youself on your military background you better "feel the need to justify jack to anyone here or elsewhere". In all the time this stuff has been circulating around, not ONE person has come forward to even say that they ever served with the guy. My military history is fairly bland, but I can give you a list of names of people I have served with....

He's not using his history or stories to promote himself, others are. In fact, I can't recall him telling many stories in seminars or training. Regardless, just how many people that are 15 to 20 years older than him (GIs during WWII), happened to be in the CBI theater, in his area of the theater, and still alive. Not many.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I hate that type of attitude and tactic. Saying that people are closed minded and will not accept the truth is both insulting and a rather bad dodge.

Demonizing them and saying that people can't handle the truth is just not a valid tactic.

I didn't say you couldn't handle the truth, I mearly implied that you had closed your mind to all other possiblilties, other than that he is a fraud.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What about the government investigator telling him to "knock it off". I note more recent websites have been sanitized of military claims.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I dunno..it still appears that all the Gurkhas mentioned in that site still originated in Nepal. Some went to the British army and others the Indian.

Yeah, in pre-WWI times. Needless to say the units evolved.

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Here is a short description of the history of the Gurkhas. It matches up with most of my research and the majority of the 8 publications of their history that have read and have on hand. I pretty sure it is the same WWII, but you ar more than welcome to ask any of the authors. I'll even give you their name and if your less of a pain their emails from the last time I contacted them during research.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurkha

"After Indian independence – and partition – in 1947 and under the Tripartite Agreement, seven Gurkha regiments joined the post-independence India Army. Four Gurkha regiments joined the British Army."
I read through the link and there is no mention of the recruiting practices or nationallity of any of the pre/post WWII Gurkha units. Can you point out anywher that I may have missed.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Yeah, in pre-WWI times. Needless to say the units evolved.
"Evolved"? All the current Gurkhas come from Nepal.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
"Evolved"? All the current Gurkhas come from Nepal.

Because that is where the recruiting center is. There is nothing that says the recruit has to be a native Gurkah or even a native Nepalese.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OULobo said:
He's not using his history or stories to promote himself, others are. In fact, I can't recall him telling many stories in seminars or training.
Then why all the pictures of him wearing uniforms with the patches and general stars, berets, boots etc. while conducting seminars?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RickRed said:
I read through the link and there is no mention of the recruiting practices or nationallity of any of the pre/post WWII Gurkha units. Can you point out anywher that I may have missed.

My argument is simply that then, as today, being a Gurkha doesn't mean being from the Gurkha tribe or village, or even being Nepalese. Imagine how much less picky they were in a war and when there was an army of Japanese on their way throught the jungles of Burma.

Latest Discussions