Indonesian/Indo-Chinese Arts?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of overlap in the arts from this part of the world, it seems. Each nation seems to have it's own version (or versions!) of kickboxing (like Muay Thai, Lethwei, etc.) as well as other arts. What do you think are some of the common influences in these arts? Why is there so much overlap?

TampaYKM

White Belt
Reaction score
I seem to talk about this a lot - on my blog and with a couple of training partners.
Forgetting the current, modern-day boundaries - the SE Asia land mass has no really defining boundaries (other than the Mekong River). So people are free to wander from one place to another, observe and add to their life what they choose. Add in the wars of conquest that went on (looking to the similarities of Thai and Khmer cultures) and you have a lot of good ideas crossing the region.
Plus, having the vast coastal area for the trading and exchange of ideas that that brings, will add to the knowledge exchange quite a bit.
To me, most of the differences begin with what part of the martial arts is emphasized, and what part is not trained as much.
Thanks for letting me bloviate :supcool:
Don

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't forget that some of the most advanced pre-Christian cultures border the region, too, in Tibet, India, and China...

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing I've noted about the Indo-Chinese arts and Chinese arts is that they seem to have a more holistic view preserved within their systems. Where many of the Okinawan and Japanese arts are pretty much strictly in the "this is how we beat people up category" even if they stress the personal development side, the Indo-Chinese arts seem to more often include yoga-type systems, and other aspects of healing as part of what they teach... (Yes, Muay Thai/Lethwei and other more sport oriented arts are a different thing...) Might just be my perception, but it's interesting to me...

Latest Discussions