Independent Instructor looking for someone to test me for 3rd Dan

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe the video was of one of GM SON's students. I believe they still do the old forms & have nothing to do with Kukkiwon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
But then that goes back to saying CDK is not TKD. It is. A continuation of the original school would be a school that adheres to KKW standards. That is what GM Lee Won-kuk decided on the direction of the school. You may have CDK schools that have not adhered to the Taeguk forms, but the forms they practice are old TKD forms. The only exception to this may be GM Son's CDK school. I do not know if they still practice his forms or if they have shifted to Taeguks by now. It is also why I was asking if the person in the video was part of GM Son's school because I did not recognize that as any Taeguk or Palgue form, though I admit my memory of Palgue forms are very rusty.

GM Hwang Kee might well disagree with you. Your statement is based on the false assumption that schools/styles/kwans never fission. Or is it your assumption that these "splits" are not allowed to use the name of their source? If the last is true, then you must object to the KKW position that MDK is a part of KKW TKD.

OP
dcsma

dcsma

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ok a little confused here. But to clarify my linage is from Chung Do Kwan, one of the five original Kwans of Tae Kwon Do. But could you please elaborate to what your are saying about CDK is not Tae Kwon Do???

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok a little confused here. But to clarify my linage is from Chung Do Kwan, one of the five original Kwans of Tae Kwon Do. But could you please elaborate to what your are saying about CDK is not Tae Kwon Do???

CDK the way you mean it and the way Dirty Dog means it, is Tae Kwon Do with a style heavily influenced by the teachings of the original Chung Do Kwan, before the unifications of the Kwans in the Kukkiwon. CDK themselves, to the best of my knowledge, do not put forth any curriculum except the Kukkiwon one. Because this Taekwondo is so different from KKW or ITF, people tend to not consider it TKD, but instead either Tang Soo Do or simply Chung Do Kwan. I would consider it Taekwondo, I believe Taekwondo is a broad and inclusive concept.

When you list your Kwan, it's a good estimation of the way you currently teach. When someone like myself does, it doesn't mean a whole lot as far as style goes since I have been Kukkiwon for most of my time in Taekwondo.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's one way to view it. Another way is that the CDK (or MDK or whatever) that is still more than just a social club is the continuation, more or less, of the original school.

I won't argue that, I only said "just have CDK roots" because the direction decided on by CDK seniors was Kukkiwon. I didn't mean to detract any authenticity from modern CDK style schools.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
GM Hwang Kee might well disagree with you. Your statement is based on the false assumption that schools/styles/kwans never fission. Or is it your assumption that these "splits" are not allowed to use the name of their source? If the last is true, then you must object to the KKW position that MDK is a part of KKW TKD.
I understand what you are saying but I am not talking about GM Hwang Kee and his MDK students. That is an entirely different issue where you have a known split where they either adhere to MDKTSD forms or MDKTKD forms (ie KKW). My statement was entirely about CDK alone. Each kwan have their own history. As far as I know the only split in the the CDK is GM Son who developed his own system entirely. While there were other CDK students who did follow Gen Choi, they were eventually transferred into ODK. If there were other students that broke away form CDK and still claim it and do some non-KKW oriented system, I have not heard of them and would be interested to know about them.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If there were other students that broke away form CDK and still claim it and do some non-KKW oriented system, I have not heard of them and would be interested to know about them.

http://www.chungdokwanusa.com/

I have the director's book on forms, which includes many Japanese kata along with a few of the CDK's unique Kuk Mu hyung. If you look on Youtube, you can find Master Hillson performing some forms in a non-KKW style. He's rather good IMO if you don't mind the old ways.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As for the original point of the thread, I suggest the OP hook up with John Pelligrini's Independent Taekwondo Association. They'll certify and promote people without requiring a specific adoption of curriculum. It makes no sense at all to me, but there it is if anyone is interested in such things.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
As for the original point of the thread, I suggest the OP hook up with John Pelligrini's Independent Taekwondo Association. They'll certify and promote people without requiring a specific adoption of curriculum. It makes no sense at all to me, but there it is if anyone is interested in such things.

Somehow an association of independent groups strikes me as funny.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://www.chungdokwanusa.com/

I have the director's book on forms, which includes many Japanese kata along with a few of the CDK's unique Kuk Mu hyung. If you look on Youtube, you can find Master Hillson performing some forms in a non-KKW style. He's rather good IMO if you don't mind the old ways.

Right, I believe that the Kuk Mu hyung are GM Son's creation and not something that was taught by GM Lee, Won-kuk. GM Son's group is the only splinter group of the CDK that did not keep with KKW forms, that I am aware of.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right, I believe that the Kuk Mu hyung are GM Son's creation and not something that was taught by GM Lee, Won-kuk. GM Son's group is the only splinter group of the CDK that did not keep with KKW forms, that I am aware of.

Ah, I misread your post.

Does Jhoon Rhee count? Early CDK graduate that has developed his own forms and system.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, I misread your post.

Does Jhoon Rhee count? Early CDK graduate that has developed his own forms and system.
Nope..nope...like you said...his own forms and system. Plus I believe he is one of those that started in CDK and then became an ODK member later on, prior to starting his own system. :)

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score

My student got this way 1996 and I recommended him to contact Pelligrini. That time I couldn't help and he was good enough to get his 1st Dan. I think it took around 8 weeks to get Kukkiwon Certificate.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope..nope...like you said...his own forms and system. Plus I believe he is one of those that started in CDK and then became an ODK member later on, prior to starting his own system. :)

I don't know if Jhoon Rhee ever joined the Oh Do Kwan. He didn't start calling hwat he was doing "Taekwon-Do" until Gen. Choi visited him in America, so my inclination is to say he didn't. He did join the ITF for a period of time, but then left and radically changed his style.

Pax,

Chris

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow....this guy has a 9th Dan in Hapkido and TKD! LOL!!
I saw on this website that said he learned Hapkido at a few seminars.
LOL!

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow....this guy has a 9th Dan in Hapkido and TKD! LOL!!
I saw on this website that said he learned Hapkido at a few seminars.
LOL!

I don't think that is totally true, although he might got his degrees quite fast but so have many others in Hapkido. Mr Pellegrini has his own TKD association and in my eyes he can do whatever he wants with it. He might have 6th or 7th Dan ( or higher ) from Kukkiwon.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If all else fails, there's always Ashida Kim waiting to promote people.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that is totally true, although he might got his degrees quite fast but so have many others in Hapkido. Mr Pellegrini has his own TKD association and in my eyes he can do whatever he wants with it. He might have 6th or 7th Dan ( or higher ) from Kukkiwon.
Yeah you can do whatever you want with your own association but how creditable are you if you only trained at seminars and claim to be a master?

Just sayin........

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think this guys best bet is to find someone or organization that you like and join in. As others have posted before its gonna be hard to kinda just walk in off the street and asked to be tested. After all he's only a 2nd dan. I think he should go to a dojo and ask when they have BB class and join the school and train with them. Explain to the instructor that you wanna expand your knowledge and that way you can get tested in the future.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Was at a Seminar hosted by his group. During the seminar there was a break and they announced that as part of a second dan test a couple of people would do some stuff. Part of the stuff was pattern Po Eun (but the name of the pattern was not mentioned. . Later I asked my BBS who were in attendance what they thought of the performance of Po Eun. Their response "That was Po Eun?"
I also asked the testing candidates later what their requirement was for testing and I believe it was one pattern per dan instead of 3 typicaly used for the Chang Hon system. So it seems they are doing (at least in some cases "TKD lite">

Latest Discussions