increasing speed,

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you own a heavy bag? If not, it's a great tool for many things, hand speed included. People who don't know how to use on effectively just start punching away. There's tons of great things you can do: working on combinations, hitting specific targets, movement into and out of range, etc.

I've always hit a bag with either the old school bag gloves (the leather ones with no padding) or mma gloves. My only criteria for them was that my knuckles don't get cut up.

My knuckles have been swelling up quite a bit recently, and hands are very stiff when I make a fist and when I open it. I switched to full boxing glove type bag gloves (Title Gel World Bag Gloves). They're about 20 oz. (about 1.25 lbs). They're ridiculously heavy compared to my usual choice. My shoulders burned the first few sessions, and I still can throw punches nearly as fast while wearing them. I've noticed my hand speed and control/accuracy has improved quite a bit in the dojo where we spar with dipped foam hand gear or no hand gear. And I hit the bag significantly harder with them on (I didn't feel like I was holding back before them). According to a sparring partner, I'm hitting harder during sparring.

I've tried punching with wrist/hand weights a few times, and I despised them every time. The weight distribution and the momentum feels very unnatural. With the gloves, the weight and momentum feel perfect. Heavy, but in a great way. And it's not an immediate night and day feeling; I noticed the change most 2-3 rounds into a 10 round heavy bag session. The difference in feeling was like going from dumbbell rows to kettlebell rows, even though the weight is exactly the same.

Try it out if you can.

Edit: I just weighed myself with and without them on. 2.2 lbs difference, so 1.1 lbs each. Or 17.6 oz. each. They're advertised as 16 oz., but people have weighed them at near 20 oz. on places like Amazon.

Regardless, I love them.

TITLE GEL WORLD BAG GLOVES - TITLE Boxing

Last edited:
OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you own a heavy bag? If not, it's a great tool for many things, hand speed included. People who don't know how to use on effectively just start punching away. There's tons of great things you can do: working on combinations, hitting specific targets, movement into and out of range, etc.

I've always hit a bag with either the old school bag gloves (the leather ones with no padding) or mma gloves. My only criteria for them was that my knuckles don't get cut up.

My knuckles have been swelling up quite a bit recently, and hands are very stiff when I make a fist and when I open it. I switched to full boxing glove type bag gloves (Title Gel World Bag Gloves). They're about 20 oz. (about 1.25 lbs). They're ridiculously heavy compared to my usual choice. My shoulders burned the first few sessions, and I still can throw punches nearly as fast while wearing them. I've noticed my hand speed and control/accuracy has improved quite a bit in the dojo where we spar with dipped foam hand gear or no hand gear. And I hit the bag significantly harder with them on (I didn't feel like I was holding back before them). According to a sparring partner, I'm hitting harder during sparring.

I've tried punching with wrist/hand weights a few times, and I despised them every time. The weight distribution and the momentum feels very unnatural. With the gloves, the weight and momentum feel perfect. Heavy, but in a great way. And it's not an immediate night and day feeling; I noticed the change most 2-3 rounds into a 10 round heavy bag session. The difference in feeling was like going from dumbbell rows to kettlebell rows, even though the weight is exactly the same.

Try it out if you can.

Edit: I just weighed myself with and without them on. 2.2 lbs difference, so 1.1 lbs each. Or 17.6 oz. each. They're advertised as 16 oz., but people have weighed them at near 20 oz. on places like Amazon.

Regardless, I love them.

TITLE GEL WORLD BAG GLOVES - TITLE Boxing
thanks for that but I'm time rich and cash poor at the moment and gloves and bag are beyond my means at the moment.
.ive been working on my speed for the last week and found ive sped up a bit.
ive been drilling with him tonight, not nanby pamby, hold your arm out whilst i block you drills, but don't know which side is coming and punches thrown with enough venom that if you don't move you get hit drilling and I'm doing much better, I'm not sure if he is going at full speed? But I'm coping a lot better with his speed of movement. I've found that waking my nervous,system up by jumping up and down a bit helps no end

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
thanks for that but I'm time rich and cash poor at the moment and gloves and bag are beyond my means at the moment.
.ive been working on my speed for the last week and found ive sped up a bit.
ive been drilling with him tonight, not nanby pamby, hold your arm out whilst i block you drills, but don't know which side is coming and punches thrown with enough venom that if you don't move you get hit drilling and I'm doing much better, I'm not sure if he is going at full speed? But I'm coping a lot better with his speed of movement. I've found that waking my nervous,system up by jumping up and down a bit helps no end

Punch leaves off trees.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you want to have a fast punch, you should use "arm pull body" method that your

- hand move first,
- arm, shoulder, body, leg then follow with it.

It's the opposite of the "body push arm" method that you

- borrow counter force from the ground.
- let force to go through your leg, hip, back, shoulder, arm, and reach to your hand.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
a new lad turned up at the dojo last night, and he was quick, really really quick. Very possibly a good bit quicker than I was at his age( late twenties), however it made me feel really really slow, he could hit me twice before I could react to, never mind block the first strike.

so,,,, I need to work on my speed.

what drills or exercises do other do to build speed of movement and reaction time?

This is a conversation on "Muscle Fiber Development"

GrM3r5U.jpg

To condition and improve on your speed you need to focus more on these areas:-

1. Stretches - Flexibility conditioning.
  2. Exercises - Mobility conditioning
  3. Light Weights - Strength conditioning
  4. Relation and Recovery - Natural healing conditioning
Also muscle confusion meaning you use different tactics of training that focus different areas of the muscle groups. This will assist the muscles to gain fibers and growth for optimization.

You also need to practice movement and body placement in a continuous repetitive way for example like this................

Its as much as conditioning the body and technique itself that will see true speed development in footwork, kicks and punching.

Some links to read up on:-

BRUCE LEE SAID:-
"You better train your whole body and put your hip into it and snap it"!

.......;).........

Basically repeat everything a 1000 times train like mad, there is heaps of info on this stuff online to study and learn.

Watch this click on link:- This 60 Year Old Has The Body of a 20 Year Old.. Amazing

Last edited:
OP
jobo

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a conversation on "Muscle Fiber Development"

GrM3r5U.jpg

To condition and improve on your speed you need to focus more on these areas:-

1. Stretches - Flexibility conditioning.
  2. Exercises - Mobility conditioning
  3. Light Weights - Strength conditioning
  4. Relation and Recovery - Natural healing conditioning
Also muscle confusion meaning you use different tactics of training that focus different areas of the muscle groups. This will assist the muscles to gain fibers and growth for optimization.

You also need to practice movement and body placement in a continuous repetitive way for example like this................

Its as much as conditioning the body and technique itself that will see true speed development in footwork, kicks and punching.

Some links to read up on:-
BRUCE LEE SAID:- "You better train your whole body and put your hip into it and snap it"!

.......;).........

Basically repeat everything a 1000 times train like mad, there is heaps of info on this stuff online to study and learn.

Watch this click on link:- This 60 Year Old Has The Body of a 20 Year Old.. Amazing

that's a comprehensive answer, thanks il have a read through that

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A fun way to improve "Speed and Reaction Timing" is to play "TAG", believe it or not but you do need a partner of course.

This is what I do with my son, we go in a circular motion changing direction with footwork using boxing and martial arts foot work.

The attempt is to touch my hands or arms or my chest, but its also incorporates, body movement shoulder roles, bobbing, weaving and moving body back and forward dodging his attempts as I shuffle forward or to the side changing directions. The aim is to move in a circular motion this is very important keeping it fairly tight but allowing it to open up when needed.

This will focus on:-

• Situational-awareness
  • Accuracy
  • Spatial Perception
  • Speed
  • Reaction-timing
  • Footwork
  • Body Movement
  • Hand-eye coordination
  • Tactics
  • Reading the body language and what direction or movement is favored
  • Visual Cuing
  • Angles of Attack
  • Defensive and Offensive Body Control Positions
  • Hit count performance

Similar to these videos..............

Remember its NOT Boxing its "TAGGING"so keep your footwork light on your toes and move around and don't hit or punch. Only "Touch" that's important to remember as it keeps your arms and extension in a relaxed muscle state not tense.

I'm trying to teach my son great foot work to avoid getting hit and find angles on striking, its a great workout to.

Also great for Kali Arnis Stick Fighting Drills - Eskrima bobbing and weaving drill.mp4

Try TAGGING its a whole lot of fun!

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I thought helped me was to learn to start of a little slow and speed up the punch as I went, continuing to go faster all the time. Working on that seemed to make my punches faster, and threw off the timing of my opponent's response.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
As others have pointed out in various posts, "speed" needs to be defined.

Physical speed can be improved upon through physical training drills up to a point. You also need to work on any unnecessary tension and "telegraphs" or any other superfluous movement that does not need to be a part of the technique (that personal "flair" that sneaks into techniques). Also, the initiation speed of a technique. How can I slow them down physically? If I can get them caught off balance or move them into a different position it can slow down their response time.

Mental Speed: How fast to react when you see a pattern? This is a two way street, how can you slow down HIS mental speed? How can you increase yours? The esoteric stories have a basis in fact, how SOON you start to see a technique happen. The better the person, the sooner they START to see them setting to throw it, almost to the point where people think you're a mind reader. When you get to that point of preemption it doesn't matter as much what the other person is getting ready to do, you are interrupting it with your own technique.

Emotional Speed: Humans are an emotional being, how can you manipulate the other persons emotions to your advantage? An easy example is hitting them hard and fast first thing to make him hesitant to engage. How can you cause doubt in them? On the flip side, how do you motivate your emotions to your advantage? The Japanese really delved into this with their thoughts on death. If you accepted it prior to combat, your mind was not worried about it in the middle of combat and tying up your thoughts and emotions causing you to hesitate.

This is just a quick summary of what goes in to the topic of "speed". The physical is the first thing you learn and it is the first thing to start to go. It is the mental and emotional study that allows an older person to still go home at the end of the day.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As others have pointed out in various posts, "speed" needs to be defined.

Physical speed can be improved upon through physical training drills up to a point. You also need to work on any unnecessary tension and "telegraphs" or any other superfluous movement that does not need to be a part of the technique (that personal "flair" that sneaks into techniques). Also, the initiation speed of a technique. How can I slow them down physically? If I can get them caught off balance or move them into a different position it can slow down their response time.

Mental Speed: How fast to react when you see a pattern? This is a two way street, how can you slow down HIS mental speed? How can you increase yours? The esoteric stories have a basis in fact, how SOON you start to see a technique happen. The better the person, the sooner they START to see them setting to throw it, almost to the point where people think you're a mind reader. When you get to that point of preemption it doesn't matter as much what the other person is getting ready to do, you are interrupting it with your own technique.

Emotional Speed: Humans are an emotional being, how can you manipulate the other persons emotions to your advantage? An easy example is hitting them hard and fast first thing to make him hesitant to engage. How can you cause doubt in them? On the flip side, how do you motivate your emotions to your advantage? The Japanese really delved into this with their thoughts on death. If you accepted it prior to combat, your mind was not worried about it in the middle of combat and tying up your thoughts and emotions causing you to hesitate.

This is just a quick summary of what goes in to the topic of "speed". The physical is the first thing you learn and it is the first thing to start to go. It is the mental and emotional study that allows an older person to still go home at the end of the day.

This reminds me of someone...

The "fastest" puncher (and the hardest hitting) in my dojo is a 300 lb+ woman. Seriously. How so? She hits me (and pretty much anyone else) 3-4 times before I finish my first punch. It's like my fist moves an inch, and I've already been hit twice in the stomach and another one's clearly on the way. And you definitely feel every punch. And while I'm not Bruce Lee fast, I've been told by several people that I've got very good hands, including 2 boxing coaches.

How does she do it? Her answer is "reading my opponent." I've asked her a few times to help me see what she sees, but I still don't see it that way yet. It's like Michael Jordan - he wasn't the fastest guy out there, but he saw the play developing very early on and reacted before anyone else knew what was going on. He was always a step ahead.

Latest Discussions