In these strange times....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well ive just read the Orwellian nightmare that is the virus regulations for the uk

at first sight they are pretty chilling, but then you notice the holes in them, for a start they dont apply to the under eighteen, or rather they do, the police can take them home, if they can catch them.

you can go shopping, but there is no restriction on where you can go shopping, so any journey is OK if you pop into the shop

similarly outside exercise is allowed, but it seems you can travel any distance by what ever means in order to take that exercise, nor have they defined exercise, so more or less any movement will do or non movement if you decided your doing yoga. as long as your on your own or with family its seems unclear if people riding bikes in a group , are committing an offence or not

the fines however or eye watering, starting at a reasonable £30 but quickly rising to a thousand for subsequent transgressions

ive just looked out of my window at the park and i can see 30 criminal acts in one go

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
well ive just read the Orwellian nightmare that is the virus regulations for the uk

at first sight they are pretty chilling, but then you notice the holes in them, for a start they dont apply to the under eighteen, or rather they do, the police can take them home, if they can catch them.

you can go shopping, but there is no restriction on where you can go shopping, so any journey is OK if you pop into the shop

similarly outside exercise is allowed, but it seems you can travel any distance by what ever means in order to take that exercise, nor have they defined exercise, so more or less any movement will do or non movement if you decided your doing yoga. as long as your on your own or with family its seems unclear if people riding bikes in a group , are committing an offence or not

the fines however or eye watering, starting at a reasonable £30 but quickly rising to a thousand for subsequent transgressions

ive just looked out of my window at the park and i can see 30 criminal acts in one go

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

Perhaps instead of looking for loopholes, people could just stay the (censored) home.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps instead of looking for loopholes, people could just stay the (censored) home.
well if they wanted to appeal to my good nature they shouldn't have brought out a draconian set of regulations, as they have its my intent to comply with the strict letter of those regs

as it is, since they shut everything down, i only really go out for exercise, dog walking and shopping and to visit my mum and all of those are allowed, some times i do them all at the same outing,

thou im appalled that i cant play tennis with someone, how is that a problem when they are right over there ? and how the hell is lone sunbathing a health risk ? il call it yoga if we ever get any sun.

theres an old disabled lady sat on the park bench, wonder if they will issue a grand fine to her ? or will exercise include rest and recuperation and how long do you get ?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well if they wanted to appeal to my good nature they shouldn't have brought out a draconian set of regulations, as they have its my intent to comply with the strict letter of those regs

as it is, since they shut everything down, i only really go out for exercise, dog walking and shopping and to visit my mum and all of those are allowed, some times i do them all at the same outing,

thou im appalled that i cant play tennis with someone, how is that a problem when they are right over there ? and how the hell is lone sunbathing a health risk ? il call it yoga if we ever get any sun.

theres an old disabled lady sat on the park bench, wonder if they will issue a grand fine to her ? or will exercise include rest and recuperation and how long do you get ?

It will ultimately be discretionary. So technically anything is illegal but only certain things enforced.

Which is what closes those loopholes

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will ultimately be discretionary. So technically anything is illegal but only certain things enforced.

Which is what closes those loopholes
hmm the police raided a pensioners bbq last night in a neighbouring town and kicked the burner over to make them go home. how to build public good will ?

riots coming soon, in fact i can hear what sounds like a riot in the street behind the house, clearly they arnt taking any notice, this town has a long and proud history of riots , right back to the perter-loo massacre, they wont stand for bbq police

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm the police raided a pensioners bbq last night in a neighbouring town and kicked the burner over to make them go home. how to build public good will ?

riots coming soon, in fact i can hear what sounds like a riot in the street behind the house, clearly they arnt taking any notice, this town has a long and proud history of riots , right back to the perter-loo massacre, they wont stand for bbq police
Yeah, I thought you guys in Manchester were riot capital of the world. Your community is slacking.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No riots, but at 2000h hours everyone was in their gardens, on their balconies, on their doorsteps and anywhere they could stay isolated but could show their appreciation for our NHS workers.
Clap for NHS: UK gives mass round of applause to NHS workers for their help during the coronavirus outbreak

No one is talking about riots, what the vast majority are doing is knuckling down and keeping inside. there are those who are volunteering to help, retired medical staff, retired police officers, volunteers to look after those in isolation by doing their shopping or calling them to stop loneliness.
'I'll do anything': coronavirus volunteers sign up to help NHS

People, the sensible ones, the already sick ones, the ones who realise what it means are staying inside. To stop the hospitals being over run by people who need ventilators where there isn't enough, to save the staff from choosing who lives and who dies, that's why we are staying in and not whinging about it.

There is not a medical system in the world that can cope with this pandemic however good they are. The USA is a huge country, bigger than most countries, with many good well equipped hospitals but even they will not be able to cope, there simply isn't enough safety equipment, ventilators and beds to cope with the numbers of patients that the pandemic causes, it will be hell, so we stay in, we don't spread it, we try to keep the level of people needing to go to hospital down as much as is humanly possible, even then the numbers will be high. In the UK the numbers will peak they say in two weeks, the USA will only be a couple of weeks behind us.
Before anyone thinks that's an attack on US healthcare it's not, it's just what you've got coming is enormous, no healthcare system in the world is controlling it, they are all just keeping their head above water if that. It's not about politics though it helps if you have politicians who will listen to the science but that's by the by, it's the people who will make the difference.

The doctors and nursing staff don't want our 'goodwill' they want us to stay the hell indoors, they are running themselves into the ground to care for those in hospital now, but they know it's going to get worse.

You cannot travel any distance for exercise police are now setting up road blocks and checking where you are going.

Those moaning about the restrictions should ask themselves why these are necessary, it's because bloody moronic people are being so totally stupid that we need to have laws to stop them. the fines, which came into law this evening are considerably more than £30. Those under 18 are the responsibility of their parents and the restrictions do apply to them as well.

There is nothing 'Orwellian' about the restrictions here, it's a sad thing that people cannot do as they are asked ( and do it without bloody whinging) by the people who are trying to save lives.
‘Stay at home’ video plea from healthcare workers goes viral

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

And don't be a whinger.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, @Buka, how are things on the island? Doing Taijiquan again? I am finding doing taijiquan and some qigong are quite helpful these days.

What's up, bro!

I've been doing a little Taijiquan here and there, sometimes for a warm up, sometimes for a workout and sometimes for a cool down. I like it as a cool down a lot, it invigorates me. The bummer is that all the gyms I go to are closed, so I'm working out at home like most everyone else. Usually, I can count on having to deal with disorderly people at the airport to keep me in rock and roll shape, but I'm enjoying a temporary hiatus....other than as a delivery man, which I'll explain in a minute.

I should be doing chair squats and pushups right now.....but instead I'm on here yaking. And you know how much I love to yak.

As for things here on the island.....I couldn't be prouder of everyone I've seen over the last week and a half. People are chill, helping each other, staying six feet away, giving out hand wipes and whatnot, shopping for each other when they go to the store, just really taking things very seriously but at the same time helping everyone that they can.

My landlord, who lives beside me, is a life long farmer, has a degree in Agriculture and he's a pure, Japanese, old-man working machine. When we moved into this rental the realtor told me that the landlord was a mean old man who didn't get along with people. Nothing could be further from the truth, he's terrific. He just doesn't like A-holes. But, I mean, who does?

Anyway, there's about forty avocado trees in his yard. They produce avos pretty much year round. At this time of year he usually donates a ton of them to some of the Buddhist Missions for their annual bazaars. But all have been cancelled. So he trimmed the trees and whole branches of avocados came down. He said for my wife and I to take them all and do what we want with them. At the same time he dug up his carrots. More carrots than I've ever seen in one place before, including large supermarkets. Told us to go nuts.

For the last week and a half my wife and I have been delivering small trash bags full of avocados and carrots to everyone we know....I know, odd combination. I drop off about fifty pounds every other day to the boys down the airport for them and their families, hence the "delivery man" reference from earlier in this post. The avos aren't yet ripe, which is great because they're a long way from spoiling. Avocados are loved out here. Apparently, so are carrots. Who knew carrots were that popular?

Anyway, I'm proud of the folks out here. They're doing right by everyone. As for riots, nah, they don't play that game out here. They tend to use rioters for fishing bait. I'm told that Mahi Mahi and Ahi are particularly fond of that bait. If you have a discerning palate, sometimes it gives the fish a slight taste of a crumpet or something.

Costco.jpg

Costco yesterday. It was awesome.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
@Buka that is awesome, sadly I cannot say the same for NYS. No riots and there is some helping, but nothing even close to what you are talking about. And there has been a lot of hoarding and some folks south of me in the city not caring at all about social distancing.

But I am off to my basement to do some taiji, keep the faith Bro, sounds awesome there on the island. With any luck I'll get out there for a visit in a year or two

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No riots, but at 2000h hours everyone was in their gardens, on their balconies, on their doorsteps and anywhere they could stay isolated but could show their appreciation for our NHS workers.
Clap for NHS: UK gives mass round of applause to NHS workers for their help during the coronavirus outbreak
No one is talking about riots, what the vast majority are doing is knuckling down and keeping inside. there are those who are volunteering to help, retired medical staff, retired police officers, volunteers to look after those in isolation by doing their shopping or calling them to stop loneliness.
'I'll do anything': coronavirus volunteers sign up to help NHS

People, the sensible ones, the already sick ones, the ones who realise what it means are staying inside. To stop the hospitals being over run by people who need ventilators where there isn't enough, to save the staff from choosing who lives and who dies, that's why we are staying in and not whinging about it.

There is not a medical system in the world that can cope with this pandemic however good they are. The USA is a huge country, bigger than most countries, with many good well equipped hospitals but even they will not be able to cope, there simply isn't enough safety equipment, ventilators and beds to cope with the numbers of patients that the pandemic causes, it will be hell, so we stay in, we don't spread it, we try to keep the level of people needing to go to hospital down as much as is humanly possible, even then the numbers will be high. In the UK the numbers will peak they say in two weeks, the USA will only be a couple of weeks behind us.
Before anyone thinks that's an attack on US healthcare it's not, it's just what you've got coming is enormous, no healthcare system in the world is controlling it, they are all just keeping their head above water if that. It's not about politics though it helps if you have politicians who will listen to the science but that's by the by, it's the people who will make the difference.

The doctors and nursing staff don't want our 'goodwill' they want us to stay the hell indoors, they are running themselves into the ground to care for those in hospital now, but they know it's going to get worse.

You cannot travel any distance for exercise police are now setting up road blocks and checking where you are going.

Those moaning about the restrictions should ask themselves why these are necessary, it's because bloody moronic people are being so totally stupid that we need to have laws to stop them. the fines, which came into law this evening are considerably more than £30. Those under 18 are the responsibility of their parents and the restrictions do apply to them as well.

There is nothing 'Orwellian' about the restrictions here, it's a sad thing that people cannot do as they are asked ( and do it without bloody whinging) by the people who are trying to save lives.
‘Stay at home’ video plea from healthcare workers goes viral

Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution.

And don't be a whinger.
oh there will be riots, possibly coinciding with the food running out, the uk imports the vast majority of its food, the borders are shut, so how much do we have left ? a month, 2 , ? dont know and nobody is telling us, The government and the media are just making calming noises, ''stay inside and it will all be OK, ( it wont)

There are currently cica 60, 000,cases in the UK, that number will double in the next 2 days, then again the next two and again and again, the lock down game to late to prevent that, once we get to a half million, its to late the health service has long ago collapsed., they are reaching saturation in Manchester now

if we slow it down so it only doubles ever 7 days or even every 14 days its only putting off the inevitable.l AND there still no food

the lock down and travel restrictions and gatherings are just the controls being put in place to try and quell disorder. the government knows they cant stop it, they are just distracting us with nonsense to keep us on side longer

there a good reason we are allowed out to attend funerals

Last edited:
OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka that is awesome, sadly I cannot say the same for NYS. No riots and there is some helping, but nothing even close to what you are talking about. And there has been a lot of hoarding and some folks south of me in the city not caring at all about social distancing.

But I am off to my basement to do some taiji, keep the faith Bro, sounds awesome there on the island. With any luck I'll get out there for a visit in a year or two

It's easy here, the population is only 152,000 give or take.

It's just one more thing that the universe has given me on a silver platter. I wish I could say I deserve it, but I never have. But I sure do appreciate it. Always have, always will.

And, Xue, when you come, we'll do Taijiquan every single day.
And I swear I won't eat bacon in front of you, just behind your back. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

It's just one more thing that the universe has given me on a silver platter. I wish I could say I deserve it, but I never have. But I sure do appreciate it. Always have, always will.

It also helps you guys have a blanket quarantine for 14 days for anyone who flies in to one of the islands.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It also helps you guys have a blanket quarantine for 14 days for anyone who flies in to one of the islands.

That took effect at one second past midnight this morning. Thankfully.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Looking forward to it....and you can eat all the bacon you want....as a matter of fact you can even have my share of the bacon...:)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

At least I will have something to watch sitting at home then.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh there will be riots, possibly coinciding with the food running out, the uk imports the vast majority of its food, the borders are shut, so how much do we have left ? a month, 2 , ? dont know and nobody is telling us, The government and the media are just making calming noises, ''stay inside and it will all be OK, ( it wont)

Well it's very clear you have a great misunderstanding of the situation then. food isn't going to run out, in fact production has been ramped up and you haven't seen the wagons on the road delivering the food. I suppose though the facts would get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

You are enjoying your doomsday predictions I can see but with your lack of understanding you are going to be sadly disappointed. Poor Victor Meldrew, sad and bitter. Never mind I'm sure another theory will come along to engage you soon.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well it's very clear you have a great misunderstanding of the situation then. food isn't going to run out, in fact production has been ramped up and you haven't seen the wagons on the road delivering the food. I suppose though the facts would get in the way of a good conspiracy theory.

You are enjoying your doomsday predictions I can see but with your lack of understanding you are going to be sadly disappointed. Poor Victor Meldrew, sad and bitter. Never mind I'm sure another theory will come along to engage you soon.
where do you think the food is coming from ? it takes months to grow things and we dont have the capacity to grow enough for the people who live here.

what ever they have in warehouses is what ever there is, plus the little thats coming through the ports, rationing is already in effect, with the limits on purchase and as i found out when i bought my favourite bangers, in which there seems to be little if any meat

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions