In these strange times....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't see it as bragging. I see it as lacking awareness.
As I mentioned in another post we finished up two conversion projects over the weekend to produce PPE. I am imminently aware. I just am not getting sucked in to the fear of it.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I started this thread, I ended the Op with...

"Maybe we can all chill a bit and enjoy each other more."

Ah, as they say, "the best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its only '' bad'' as your being judgemental, self satisfied and sanctimonious, which i suspect you cant help, so not really your fault,

what is BAD , is i get the impression that your less than willing to part with some of your wealth to help them out.

now im not a practising christian, but even i know thats in the great book, so perhaps add hypocrite to the list ?
We tithe 10%, give 10% of our personal gross income to charities and my business averages about 10% of our gross sales to charity. Giving back is how I have gotten to where I am.
And just what is it you do for your fellow man?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post we finished up two conversion projects over the weekend to produce PPE. I am imminently aware. I just am not getting sucked in to the fear of it.
Talking about your posts regarding income and how everyone should have saved 20% of their income from the time they were 14, etc. Just because you seem to lack awareness of your privileged upbringing, and the many advantages that have compounded for you over the course of your life time, doesn't mean you aren't aware of anything. That's why they're referred to as blind spots.

And to reiterate, I think the lessons you learned are great, and I applaud you for putting them into practice. It's really worked out for you. But to suggest that you did this without significant advantages that many (most) people lack suggests lack of awareness.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it will be some sort of tax right off,im sure, so why are you so upset at the idea of giving them more to help out at this time, you can surly afford to give them more, Jesus said'' give them the cloak off your back'' not give them 10 % of a cloak and call it a handkerchief

the first thing i give my fellow man is not judging them for being poor. Jesus said'' judge not , in case you be judged''

you could do that it wont cost you anything and its very christian

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i said Blackburn Lancashire that a smallish town in the county of Lancashire ????

You did. That's BLACKBURN Steve.

'Lancashire County' makes me wince. A county in the UK is not the same as a county in the US.

When talking about Lancashire though, Steve, were you looking up the administrative county or the ceremonial county? There's cities in Lancashire that are included historically but have their own metropolitan area.

Do I get short with people who make lame *** excuses and are not financially prepared?

I think you need to broaden your mind and do some research into people's pay and just what jobs they do that enable you to live the comfortable life you lead.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You did. That's BLACKBURN Steve.

'Lancashire County' makes me wince. A county in the UK is not the same as a county in the US.
Is that so? What does county mean in the UK? I'm genuinely curious.
When talking about Lancashire though, Steve, were you looking up the administrative county or the ceremonial county? There's cities in Lancashire that are included historically but have their own metropolitan area.
I believe I was looking at data for the administrative county. In the USA, the county data includes data for all of the cities/metropolitan areas within it.
I think you need to broaden your mind and do some research into people's pay and just what jobs they do that enable you to live the comfortable life you lead.
Totally agree.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Talking about your posts regarding income and how everyone should have saved 20% of their income from the time they were 14, etc. Just because you seem to lack awareness of your privileged upbringing, and the many advantages that have compounded for you over the course of your life time, doesn't mean you aren't aware of anything. That's why they're referred to as blind spots.

And to reiterate, I think the lessons you learned are great, and I applaud you for putting them into practice. It's really worked out for you. But to suggest that you did this without significant advantages that many (most) people lack suggests lack of awareness.

I couldn't disagree with this more even if I had a disagreeing machine.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well there seems almost no intrinsic difference between, between populas cities in those counties, non at all,

they all have similar density and similar social structures and then no difference between a small town in Montana and one in Lancashire england, and Blackburn Lancashire has exactly the same restrictions as the mega city that is london, so clear our government disagee, which then just highlights the different approach which was my point

tibet might be an out lyer, but cities all the countries mentioned have more in common than they have differences and the differences between say new york and london are minuscule in the extreme, like you drive on the other side of the road and have yellow taxis, that sort of thing
No difference between those places, huh? Needs are the same, everything is the same. Sure.

Naivety.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We tithe 10%, give 10% of our personal gross income to charities and my business averages about 10% of our gross sales to charity. Giving back is how I have gotten to where I am.
And just what is it you do for your fellow man?

Maimonides defines eight levels in giving charity (tzedakah), each one higher than the preceding one.

On an ascending level, they are as follows:

8. When donations are given grudgingly.

7. When one gives less than he should, but does so cheerfully.

6. When one gives directly to the poor upon being asked.

5. When one gives directly to the poor without being asked.

4. Donations when the recipient is aware of the donor's identity, but the donor still doesn't know the specific identity of the recipient.

3. Donations when the donor is aware to whom the charity is being given, but the recipient is unaware of the source.

2. Giving assistance in such a way that the giver and recipient are unknown to each other.

1. The highest form of charity is to help sustain a person before they become impoverished by offering a substantial gift in a dignified manner, or by extending a suitable loan, or by helping them find employment or establish themselves in business so as to make it unnecessary for them to become dependent on others.

Tithing is a very easy way to give charity without any effort, and giving money is not what is always needed. giving someone one's time can often be more valuable. Tithing isn't giving back, it's more about being smug and letting someone else do the actual charitable work for you. If you have money it's easy to give some away. Do you give your charitable money to anyone who is not connetced with your church such as someone of another religion or faith? is your charity only given to those you want to join your faith?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree with this more even if I had a disagreeing machine.
Is that right? With what exactly do you disagree? that the lessons he learned were good ones? That he's lucky to have had adults around who could teach him how to manage his money? That he never had to worry about food, shelter, education, etc, so that he could learn these lessons?

I don't think there's anything wrong with leveraging what advantages we have been afforded in life. But failing to acknowledge them, or even worse, not even knowing they exist, is a real issue.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Hi @Brian King , which part of this do you disagree with? I don't think there's anything controversial in here.

OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is that right? With what exactly do you disagree? that the lessons he learned were good ones? That he's lucky to have had adults around who could teach him how to manage his money? That he never had to worry about food, shelter, education, etc, so that he could learn these lessons?

I don't think there's anything wrong with leveraging what advantages we have been afforded in life. But failing to acknowledge them, or even worse, not even knowing they exist, is a real issue.

First off, it's good to see/read you again. I thought of you every time I read about Washington State and all the cases they've had up there, I was hoping you and family were all okay. Sincerely.

To the post...

Yes, that's right.

I guess we have a different concept of what a privileged upbringing is.

And to the point "But failing to acknowledge them, or even worse, not even knowing they exist, is a real issue"

An issue with whom, exactly? Doesn't seem to be an issue with him, it's not an issue with me, why would it be an issue with you?

Who the F died and made you Grace Kelly? :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
First off, it's good to see/read you again. I thought of you every time I read about Washington State and all the cases they've had up there, I was hoping you and family were all okay. Sincerely.

To the post...

Yes, that's right.

I guess we have a different concept of what a privileged upbringing is.

And to the point "But failing to acknowledge them, or even worse, not even knowing they exist, is a real issue"

An issue with whom, exactly? Doesn't seem to be an issue with him, it's not an issue with me, why would it be an issue with you?

Who the F died and made you Grace Kelly? :)
I'm doing just fine. Lots going on, but family's good.

To the post....

When I use the word "privilege," I mean it in terms of an advantage not enjoyed by others, gifted to you by virtue of your birth and upbringing, and not by anything you did. It can be anything, big or small.

For example:
Working hard and saving 20% of your income since you were 14? Not privilege.
Having a parent who didn't rely on your income at 14 to put food on the table? Privilege.

Taking sound financial advice on managing debt, using credit wisely, and avoiding common debt traps and pitfalls? Not privilege.
Having a parent who was well educated, smart, and fiscally responsible around to teach you these things? Privilege.

Using your solid credit history to purchase property? Not privilege.
Having someone around with good enough credit to co-sign for your $200k loan? Privilege.

And again, don't get me wrong. Privilege is not inherently bad. Failing to acknowledge it, however, can lead to judging other people by an unfair and unrealistic standard. Said in a more positive way, I think if you are aware of the privileges you have benefited from, you will be more empathetic and understanding of those who have not had those same privileges.

Regarding the rest, I would hope that it's understood when I speak, I'm speaking for myself. Right? The comment about issue, I see it as an issue. If you disagree, that's what a discussion board is all about. And I do still see that lack of self awareness as the real issue.

Last edited:
OP
Buka

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm doing just fine. Lots going on, but family's good.

To the post....

When I use the word "privilege," I mean it in terms of an advantage not enjoyed by others, gifted to you by virtue of your birth and upbringing, and not by anything you did. It can be anything, big or small.

For example:
Working hard and saving 20% of your income since you were 14? Not privilege.
Having a parent who didn't rely on your income at 14 to put food on the table? Privilege.

Taking sound financial advice on managing debt, using credit wisely, and avoiding common debt traps and pitfalls? Not privilege.
Having a parent who was well educated, smart, and fiscally responsible around to teach you these things? Privilege.

Using your solid credit history to purchase property? Not privilege.
Having someone around with good enough credit to co-sign for your $200k loan? Privilege.

And again, don't get me wrong. Privilege is not inherently bad. Failing to acknowledge it, however, can lead to judging other people by an unfair and unrealistic standard. Said in a more positive way, I think if you are aware of the privileges you have benefited from, you will be more empathetic and understanding of those who have not had those same privileges.

Regarding the rest, I would hope that it's understood when I speak, I'm speaking for myself. Right? The comment about issue, I see it as an issue. If you disagree, that's what a discussion board is all about. And I do still see that lack of self awareness as the real issue.

I grew up privileged. That's what my dad always taught me. Because he grew up dirt poor on failed farm land in the 1800's, and had to sometimes survive by eating rat, old horse, insects, anything and everything. So I get the growing up privileged thing. But his definition of privileged, and my definition of privileged and your definition of privileged is hardly the same.

I'm guessing most people might also have varying definitions of the word as well.

Bu to have an issue concerning what was said in that post, to me, is frankly silly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I grew up privileged. That's what my dad always taught me. Because he grew up dirt poor on failed farm land in the 1800's, and had to sometimes survive by eating rat, old horse, insects, anything and everything. So I get the growing up privileged thing. But his definition of privileged, and my definition of privileged and your definition of privileged is hardly the same.

I'm guessing most people might also have varying definitions of the word as well.

Bu to have an issue concerning what was said in that post, to me, is frankly silly.
Fair enough. I think what i posted is pretty obvious and straightforward. I also think my definition of privilege and your dad's is the exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions