In the end, are we all not simply doing our own thing?

OP
Flying Crane

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, the muscleoskeleton system does not traverse laterally very well at all when you pigeon-toe your feet.

Nihanchi being a form whose embusan is only movement is side to side... this the very essence of counterproductive effort.

If you (whomever pigeon-toes the nihanchi dachi) are deliberately stalling your movement there had better be a really good reason why.

Furthermore, goat clamping stance is a stance/structure for taking energy square to the center.

Nihanchi dachi ideally is supposed to be a horse stance, but more on the natural stance side than the deep horse stance, if you are on the Itosu-ha side. Or if your karate follows an older branch of Nifanchin... it would look like Motobu's Kiba-dach. In either case.. a horse stance takes energy laterally.

You can see it by trying to push some one over in a deep horse stance from the front, and from the side.

Or hold a big kicking pad to your side in Horse stance.. and white taking solid side kicks. Then hold the kick target on the center line while remaining in Horse stance while taking sidekicks.
Then as a third and final test. Hold the kicking pad to the side again, but do a pigeon-toe, while taking good side kicks.

The root is easy to move / dislocate up the middle, but sinks deep from the side In a normal horse stance... and that the pigeon-toed horse stance is structurally weaker.

The conclusion is that doing nihanchi dachi pigeon-toe means it's being done wrong.
Yeah I wouldn't know, and I'm not going to comment on isshin ryu as I have no experience with it.

It may be wrong in your opinion, to others it apparently isn't.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The pigeon-toe is used to lock your foot behind your opponent's ankle. You then bend your knee, use your shin bone to press down the inside (or outside) of your opponent's leg to force his knee joint to bend side way and lose balance. It's bad idea to use it for defense because your opponent can sweep your ankle without having to adjust that small angle. If your toes is facing forward, in order for your opponent to sweep you, his back leg has to step to the side to get that proper angle. Your pigeon-toe just save your opponent that small adjustment. He can use his back leg to sweep you without that side step.

Last edited:

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Iain Abernethy........

As for Mr Bean, the actor who plays him has been playing Inspector Maigret, the Paris detective, a very model of quiet thoughtfulness who observes and thinks without making any hasty conclusions, a good lesson for many. :)

Why the ellipses after his name?
What were you going to say about him but chose not to?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never noticed that. Is there something else about their technique that makes that a desirable stance for them, do you think?

Dont know i will ask.

It is not something I do.

images

Punching with the Toes: The Secrets of Hitting Hard | FIGHTLAND

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the ellipses after his name?
What were you going to say about him but chose not to?

He's a brilliant martial artist and a lovely man but people keep spelling him name wrong!

Ellipses which indicate 'missing' or left out text are a series of three dots, I deliberately did more than three.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
She was correcting the spelling of his name.

A pedantic exercise wasted on me.

It's like correcting a person on spelling and grammar. On the Internet.

Po-tay-to po-taugh-to.

Getting hung up in minutiae, but missing the point of the post, is not an effective means for carrying on a conversation.

Part for the course between her and I.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Po-tay-to po-taugh-to.

Getting hung up in minutiae, but missing the point of the post, is not an effective means for carrying on a conversation.

You are very wrong, spelling and pronouncing a person's name incorrectly is bad manners. Manners maketh the man. Spell words as you wish but have the courtesy from one martial artist to another of spelling Iain's name correctly. Then you can keep your aspersions and childish insults to yourself, you have an inflated idea of your significance to me and how much I care about your thoughts when you deliberately conflate something into an argument. You make assumptions which frankly demean you not me but crack on, enjoy yourself, it is amusing. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are very wrong, spelling and pronouncing a person's name incorrectly is bad manners. Manners maketh the man. Spell words as you wish but have the courtesy from one martial artist to another of spelling Iain's name correctly. Then you can keep your aspersions and childish insults to yourself, you have an inflated idea of your significance to me and how much I care about your thoughts when you deliberately conflate something into an argument. You make assumptions which frankly demean you not me but crack on, enjoy yourself, it is amusing. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A grammar error isn't disrespectful to anyone, not being bothered to make the effort to spell a persons name correctly is. So it's not like that at all as there is a significant difference.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's probably not something I even can do on a regular basis. I have crappy knees and my feet naturally turn out a bit more than normal. As such, I have trouble seeing the usefulness in those stances, even when the usefulness exists. So, yeah, I'd appreciate it if you could ask someone who uses that. I'd like to understand the advantage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Po-tay-to po-taugh-to.

I get picky about spelling of names, too. I routinely get people who email me (having to type in my name's correct spelling as part of the email address), misspelling both first and last name in the email. It's one of those pet peeve things. And there are some of us who actually don't mind the correction (I'm pretty sure Tez had to correct me on leaving one of the i's out of his first name).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some of us change the methodology a bit as we gain an understanding of the underlying principles and then come up with practices that reinforce those principles more effectively for us personally.
I think this is a natural progression. Fighting in general is personalized as we use the techniques that work best for us.

I do know from personal experiences that there is a "Right Way" and a "Wrong way" to do things when it comes to martial arts. If we build our understanding off the "right way" then everything new that comes from our personalized understanding will most likely be correct. If we build our understanding off the "Wrong way" then everything that we do will be garbage.

Here's a perfect example: yesterday I was training how to defend against someone grabbing the staff. No one has taught me this technique, but I pull my understanding from how we are taught to hit with the staff. I wanted to test it to see if I was correct or if I was wrong. So I attempted to grab the staff from a student and he easily flipped me. No only that I managed to hurt my back in the process while trying to actually take the staff away.

Normally I would just go with the flow and be a willing attacker. I ignored that part of Martial arts and gave it resistance and now I'm hurt because of it. Now my understanding of why martial artist are willing partners is clear. Doing it my own way got me hurt in a bad way. Not everything can or should be done with resistance. I was happy that my understanding of the technique is good. I feel stupid that my understanding of how to train the technique without injury was stupid. I'm definitely going back to the old way of training, the way that was taught to me.

The last email that I got from my Sifu was of him saying that he was concerned that my method of training may be detrimental to me learning kung fu. Now I understand that better.

If you learn the "Right Way" then you'll be able to do multiple variations correctly. If you learn the "Wrong way" then you'll just end up doing multiple variations in correctly.

By the way the close range staff fighting techniques are awesome.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have trouble seeing the usefulness in those stances, even when the usefulness exists.
One application from the

- striker point of view can be as simple as to use your pigeon toes foot to bend your knee to protect your groin area. Again since you have exposed your ankle, your opponent's "front kick, back sweep" can set you up for good. Of course you can intentionally "expose your ankle". When your opponent sweeps you, you bend your knee, let the sweeping leg to go under, you then sweep back. That's a good strategy.

- grappler point of view can be the "shin bite".

90% of the time, your opponent just pulls back that leg. This way, you can take advantage on his weight shifting and attack his other leg. So if there is a "inward foot", there should also be an "outward foot" that you can use to "bite" on your opponent's other leg.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions