In order for something to work...?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the guy is on top of him trying to turn his face into hamburger, the guy on the bottom attempting the choke should take his chances. Especially if he's on concrete or a similar surface.

Outside of talking your way out of something, a defensive choke is the most humane way of ending a physical altercation.

I don't disagree.but a judge will. And you can't argue with a judge.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How much of the chokes show up in the Combatives (first 36, as I recall)? I need a refresher on ground work (to get back to responses beyond escape), and was thinking of going through the combatives if my legs will let me.

Mainly the major ones like Triangle, RNC, and Guillotine and their various applications. Depending on school focus you'll learn more "sporty" chokes as well. White belt curriculum is pretty old school Bjj with lots of standup mixed with ground work and focuses on things like closed guard, escaping head locks, escaping mount, escaping bear hugs, etc. That's Relson's system though. I'm not sure if his program follows the exact same program as the Torrance guys.

But yeah, if you're looking for more self defense based Bjj, Relson, Rickson, or Torrance affiliated schools are the way to go. My only gripe with Torrance is that they're getting weirder and weirder as time goes on, and frankly its kind of troubling.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mainly the major ones like Triangle, RNC, and Guillotine and their various applications. Depending on school focus you'll learn more "sporty" chokes as well. White belt curriculum is pretty old school Bjj with lots of standup mixed with ground work and focuses on things like closed guard, escaping head locks, escaping mount, escaping bear hugs, etc. That's Relson's system though. I'm not sure if his program follows the exact same program as the Torrance guys.

But yeah, if you're looking for more self defense based Bjj, Relson, Rickson, or Torrance affiliated schools are the way to go. My only gripe with Torrance is that they're getting weirder and weirder as time goes on, and frankly its kind of troubling.
Thanks.

Tonita Rervant

White Belt
Reaction score
It is more complex comparing in real time environment. And training make us ready for that.

As far as brutality is concern, it should be quick. Otherwise, you can't control the situation.