In defense of Tournament Fighters

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was thinking about this after watching the movie

'The New Gladiators'

There seems to be a lot of trash about how ineffective tournament fighters are and how useless thier techniques would be in a street situation.

However, in a street fight it comes down to your best techiques, the ones that you have honed. A tournament fighter (Black Belt) has honed these techniques in a very realistic manner (timing, contact, power, speed, deception, etc.) How many of can say we have trained our self-defense techniques in the same manner...and our best techniques in this manner, some of you do and my hat's off to you but be honest with yourself on this one. Tournament fighters fight, that is what they do, and they have my respect for always being on the edge, most of them would take your head off in the street.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that just because a school or person tournament fights we should not immediatly dismiss them as ineffective in the street as so many people tend to do on this board.

The oldtimers (with respect) must just laugh to themselves when they read negative comments about tournament fighting with the way that they fought back then. I certainly would not want to mess with any of the guys or gals featured in the movie. I know, I know, they were exceptional in their field but there is a lot to be learned from the way they fought.

Rob

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Point fighting was alot different back in the day when my father used to do it. Its soft core now. Alot of things that work in a tournement dont work in a real fight because most people will walk right through all those quick spot kicks and little jabs. Those moves are weak ,safe,and fast. Perfect for scoring points,not knockouts. I think point fighting is good practice, just like sparring. But you need to fight full contact, with no points, just knock downs and rounds so you dont get in to those bad fighting habits that point fighting can give you. I respect point fighters, its fun to watch and usually no one gets hurt to bad. Its good clean fun for a martial artist that doesnt want to get hurt but still have the fun and excitement of fighting. In point fighting,the fight stops right when the real fighting begins, after the first hit. But there is no shame.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll agree with the statement that "back in the day" things where different.
Back then (20-30 years ago) tournaments where fought without protective equipment. If you could not block you got hurt. The fighters back then could do prety good in a street situation most of the time.

OP
R

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why is it always 'back in the day' though?

I realize that players have evolved to use the rules to their advantage ie. just have to touch so don't throw alot of power.

BUT, the talent that the top fighters have cannot be denied. They can hit you with anything and I beleive it would be hard. A side kick is a side kick is a side kick.

Anyone below black probably is not really a good indication of point fighting but finals in any of the BB divisions still show a good degree of power, focus, speed, intent, etc.

So if we distill this down to the average competitor, was sparring any better back then than it is now?

Or have we slid towards playing tag too lightly?

P.S. when they were allowed pads back then they changed the rules to allow moderate contact to the head and full contact to the body.

Rob

T

triwahine

I wish there was more I could add to this. I've heard about the "good 'ole days" when it was basically full contact. You hit to hit and win. Now, because of all the legal bs things have change. I think that we, as a society, have become to letigious. It's said to see, but would you feel okay going into a tournament with the chance you could be sues? I know I wouldn't. Unfortunately, these checks and balances are inhibiting certain aspects of martial arts. I've seen the BB divisions and they hit hard. I also saw one dq'd for drawing blood. Well, it happens. I'm sorry to see things change. I can tournament fight, but would I survive in the streets, maybe. I've incorporated other full contact activities to help prepare me for life. Should others do the same, only if they are up to the task.

Tournaments are good to teach us control, patience, and values. It can also teach sportsmanship which is good for the children. I think there are good and bad things about point tournaments. Everyone will have different views on this. I look forward to see what others have to say. Here's another question: what about continuous point spar? How many have done it? Do you like it? Would you consider it to be more real? I know it still has rules and rounds, but atleast it's continuous movement.

Aloha,
B

Latest Discussions