In a bizarre twist, judge who shot/killed burglar sentences man who shot/killed burglar...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is bizarre...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/c...eives-light-sentence-shooting-killing-burglar

A man who shot and killed a burglar received the minimum sentence this week after pleading guilty before Judge J. Carlisle Overstreet, who himself shot and killed a man who broke into his home in August.

What's the difference between the judge's shooting and killing a burglar and this man?

Washington noticed an open door at a home on Sixth Avenue and saw Harris inside, said defense attorney Jacque Hawk. Washington knew the people who lived in the house and knew Harris didn't live there.
When Washington called the homeowner, he was told no one should be inside his house, Hawk said.
Washington tried to restrain Harris, who broke free and ran toward a female friend of Washington, Hawk said. Washington then shot Harris.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
The sentencing was warranted though. No self defense or defense of a 3d party was involved and he was not even in the house at first. He took it upon himself to intervene. As admirable as it is, he should have been aware of the legal implications.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the "shoot a burglar and go to prison" horror stories have a lot more to the story than what is shown on the news. Like in this guys case.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I've gotta go with Bruno and Arch.

If what I'm reading is true, there was no A-O-J until the *shooter* exposed himself to them by trespassing onto the property to confront the thief, therefore the *shooter* willingly created the dangerous situation to himself, and for a self-defense claim to hold water, you've got to show as much as you can that every point on the "decision tree" that led to the use of force was HIS decision, not yours.

Now if he'd seen the thief threatening someone ELSE'S life in the house, that might be different. As it was, a call to the police would probably have bagged him in time, if ransacking the house was all he was up to.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank God I live in Texas with the Castle Doctrine!

Deaf

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Deaf

THE BIGGEST THING I MISS ABOUT TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now I live in the COMMUN(ist)-WEALTH of NEW JERSEY.....

and all my toys are feeling seperation anxioty because I'm here and they are there......

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Georgia -- where this incident took place -- has a Castle Doctrine too, enacted 2006.

Both are clear about being able to stand your ground when in your own home.

Neither of them indicate that you are clear to enter someone else's home with the express purpose of confronting a burglar, confronting said burglar, and then shooting the burglar.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Deaf

This has NOTHING to do with castle doctrine. Castle doctrine allows you to stand your ground. It most certainly does NOT give you the right to enter other peoples homes to intervene in a situation that is not threatening to other people. Castle doctrine does not make you judge Dredd.
You might want to read up on the law before you actually start using your gun.

Last edited:

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This has NOTHING to do with castle doctrine. Castle doctrine allows you to stand your ground. It most certainly does NOT give you the right to enter other peoples homes to intervene in a situation that is not threatening to other people. Castle doctrine does not make you judge Dredd.
You might want to read up on the law before you actually start using your gun.

Washington tried to restrain Harris, who broke free and ran toward a female friend of Washington, Hawk said. Washington then shot Harris.

At least in Texas there is a section on defense of OTHERS life or property. In this case the attacker ran toward a female friend who, I presume, felt her life was in danger. Teaching CHL classes does give you some idea of the laws, at least in Texas.

9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON

9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
using force or deadly force against another to protect a third
person if:
(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably
believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31
or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against
the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
(2) the actor reasonably believes that his
intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Deaf

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
At least in Texas there is a section on defense of OTHERS life or property. In this case the attacker ran toward a female friend who, I presume, felt her life was in danger. Teaching CHL classes does give you some idea of the laws, at least in Texas.

9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON

9.33. DEFENSE OF THIRD PERSON. A person is justified in
using force or deadly force against another to protect a third
person if:
(1) under the circumstances as the actor reasonably
believes them to be, the actor would be justified under Section 9.31
or 9.32 in using force or deadly force to protect himself against
the unlawful force or unlawful deadly force he reasonably believes
to be threatening the third person he seeks to protect; and
(2) the actor reasonably believes that his
intervention is immediately necessary to protect the third person.

Deaf

Yes. But none of that quote mentions property. It only mentions protection of a third party. Since he had already established that noone was at home, he would not get any protection from 9.33 either.

Kurai

Green Belt
Reaction score
He had time enough to call the homeowner. Why didn't he call the cops immediately following?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Machismo? :idunno:

By establishing the homeowner was not home, he also established that the homeowner was safe from the threat.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes. But none of that quote mentions property. It only mentions protection of a third party. Since he had already established that noone was at home, he would not get any protection from 9.33 either.

The ONLY thing I could see with this, IMO:

Guy confronted Burglar. If the Burglar attacked him, I would veiw that as mutual combatants, and don't think the guy would/should get protection under the law.

BUT

If the guy confronted him and the guy attacked the woman instead, I could see justification in then protecting her: she didn't initiate confrontation or attempt participation. (as far as I know, anyhow)

Thats the ONLY saving grace I'd give this guy.

Latest Discussions