Improving the BJJ tournament experience

supra411

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Everyone:

I’m working on a personal project that can help design a better experience in BJJ tournaments. But in order to do that, I need to gain a general sense of the experiences for those involved: the competitors, coaches, and organizers. If you are interested in seeing what a better tournament experience looks like, please complete the following short surveys (5-10 minutes).

If you are a competitor, please complete this survey: Competitors Survey

If you are a coach, please complete this survey: Coaches Survey

If you are an organizer, please complete this survey: Organizers' Survey

Thank you!

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've been to one, as an audience member. The problem I had is that it actually went too efficient.

My friend and I meant to be there an hour early, but were barely on time due to traffic. We went to watch our professor roll, and missed his first fight, despite being there on time.

One of our coaches was competing around 1. We went to get lunch around 11:30, got back at 12:30, and his fight was already over.

I've seen the opposite happen in Taekwondo, where people who are supposed to go at 1:00 end up going at 5:00, so this is a good problem to have, but it does kind of suck when you step out thinking you have time and then you miss the fight you wanted to see.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been to one, as an audience member. The problem I had is that it actually went too efficient.

My friend and I meant to be there an hour early, but were barely on time due to traffic. We went to watch our professor roll, and missed his first fight, despite being there on time.

One of our coaches was competing around 1. We went to get lunch around 11:30, got back at 12:30, and his fight was already over.

I've seen the opposite happen in Taekwondo, where people who are supposed to go at 1:00 end up going at 5:00, so this is a good problem to have, but it does kind of suck when you step out thinking you have time and then you miss the fight you wanted to see.
Seems that'd be even worse if you stepped out thinking you had time before your own match. Ouch.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I struggle to understand why someone would complain about an event running on schedule...

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I struggle to understand why someone would complain about an event running on schedule...
Ahead of schedule. Not on schedule.

It's kind of like when you have a party that's from 8 to 11 and people show up at 6:30 and wonder why nothing is set up.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were ahead of schedule, per his post. It'd be tough to try to catch friends' matches if you can't tell when they will be. Scheduled for 9AM? Might be at 8 or 8:30.

OP
S

supra411

White Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for the insight. Strangely enough, in the San Francisco Bay Area (where I'm from), they seem to run late.

Latest Discussions