Improving boxing fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You shouldn't be doing that either. Sparring is not a competition.

Also, with 4 years kickboxing experience, it would make sense that you are better at sparring than the 'intermediate' guys, especially if that starts at 4 months.
Yeah I mean kickboxing and boxing are the same thing punch wise. Yes kickboxing obviously mixes up punches and kicks but the kickboxing punches are the exact same as boxing punches

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You shouldn't be doing that either. Sparring is not a competition.

Also, with 4 years kickboxing experience, it would make sense that you are better at sparring than the 'intermediate' guys, especially if that starts at 4 months.

I shouldn't be doing my best in sparring?
Intermediates have trained longer than that on average.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This thread is all over the place according to you you're dominating everyone but you've got bad technique....this is just a guess but according to your original post you say you use good power in sparring...sound to me like you're going in hard using power during sparring but not using technique

Your guess is wrong.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sparring can be used for competition as well as for learning specific or general techniques. It can also be used as less than full contact fighting practice. Depends what the instructor wants the students to learn. Some styles competitions are just sparring not actual hard contact.

Depending on the type of kick boxing ( some places don't spar or even fight full contact) the boxing students may well punch harder than kickboxers, the raison d'être of boxing being just punching competitively.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sparring can be used for competition as well as for learning specific or general techniques. It can also be used as less than full contact fighting practice. Depends what the instructor wants the students to learn. Some styles competitions are just sparring not actual hard contact.

Depending on the type of kick boxing ( some places don't spar or even fight full contact) the boxing students may well punch harder than kickboxers, the raison d'être of boxing being just punching competitively.

A boxers punch is harder than a kickboxers because the boxer sinks in to the punches. This is because they don't mix in kicks. The boxers bladed stance is also designed to generate maximum amount of force.

There are some kickboxers who switch back and forth in their body mechanics how to strike, and these tend to be guys who learned boxing on the side and realised, hey, I can knock people out boxing style, why not use it!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A boxers punch is harder than a kickboxers because the boxer sinks in to the punches. This is because they don't mix in kicks. The boxers bladed stance is also designed to generate maximum amount of force.

There are some kickboxers who switch back and forth in their body mechanics how to strike, and these tend to be guys who learned boxing on the side and realised, hey, I can knock people out boxing style, why not use it!

I've done both kick boxing and boxing, been doing martial arts for decades. :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

I do Dutch style Mui Thai, which is fully Western boxing from the waist up. (With elbows of course, but driven from a Western boxing power engine)

So it can vary.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do Dutch style Mui Thai, which is fully Western boxing from the waist up. (With elbows of course, but driven from a Western boxing power engine)

So it can vary.

Same with regular Muay Thai and generic Kickboxing. From the waist up, it's western boxing punches.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same with regular Muay Thai and generic Kickboxing. From the waist up, it's western boxing punches.

MT has elbows and back fists, spinning as well as 'standing'.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
MT has elbows and back fists, spinning as well as 'standing'.
They also don't dip into their hooks and uppercuts, it's very arm punchy. These days a lot of Mui Thai guys use the Dutch style where we do throw like a boxer, because it works, but pure Mt doesn't do that.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
They also don't dip into their hooks and uppercuts, it's very arm punchy. These days a lot of Mui Thai guys use the Dutch style where we do throw like a boxer, because it works, but pure Mt doesn't do that.

Doesn't that vary depending on the instructor?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't that vary depending on the instructor?

Well, these days sure. There are all sorts of blends of styles being taught around the world, including flavours of MT. When I say pure MT I mean the MT that has been generationally taught in thailand. Originally they didn't use closed fist punching at all but rather open hand slapping. It wasn't until the 1900s that western boxing began to creep it's way into the syllabus. Even today, many traditional MT guys keep a very rigid upper body.

This was more of a response to your claim that kickboxers punch softer than boxers due to mechanics, and that is not strictly true.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, these days sure. There are all sorts of blends of styles being taught around the world, including flavours of MT. When I say pure MT I mean the MT that has been generationally taught in thailand. Originally they didn't use closed fist punching at all but rather open hand slapping. It wasn't until the 1900s that western boxing began to creep it's way into the syllabus. Even today, many traditional MT guys keep a very rigid upper body.

This was more of a response to your claim that kickboxers punch softer than boxers due to mechanics, and that is not strictly true.

Kickboxers do punch softer due to mechanics. I gave two reasons for why that is.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kickboxers do punch softer due to mechanics. I gave two reasons for why that is.

Have you ever done either of these things? Me, I've been boxing for years, and practice Dutch style Mui Thai four times a week, mon-thurs. I really don't know what 'kickboxing' you were taught where they stand square and don't load their punches, (if any) but you might want to find a more qualified instructor.

OP
U

UserC

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Have you ever done either of these things? Me, I've been boxing for years, and practice Dutch style Mui Thai four times a week, mon-thurs. I really don't know what 'kickboxing' you were taught where they stand square and don't load their punches, (if any) but you might want to find a more qualified instructor.

You are taught deeper knee bend in boxing. That's the first thing I noticed.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are taught deeper knee bend in boxing. That's the first thing I noticed.

Sigh. From what, youtube videos?

Do us all a favour, go make an introduction post with a little insight into your MA background. Maybe then We will know where you are coming from here, because everything you are saying here seems like armchair expertise tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions