Imprisoned in your own home

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

My partner and I live in a very dubious area in the UK called Wolverhampton. The place is a dump, with high levels of crime etc etc.

6 or 7 months ago we started having the local kids throwing rocks at our front windows, this went on for about a month or two, then we finally got some names of kids that we thought it may have been. The Police were informed, and for several months it stopped. On saturday, I came home to find our front wall smashed in (think large blocks - would have taken some doing) and the front window put through. As you can imagine, I was furious, but last night (Wednesday evening UK time) my partner and I were in the front room when BANG! another rock had been thrown at the window. It cost us £60 to get it replaced on saturday, fortunately, this time it didn't break.

This is starting to get us down. The Police have already said that if I "apprehend one of the suspected perpetrators, and lay a finger on them, then they'll be coming round to see me for assault".

Great. My partner's 6 months pregnant, and pretty highly strung as it is. We're trying to sell our house, so having to replace bits of it that are getting smashed is annoying as hell, plus, I just don't know what to do. I want to get in the car and chase them on their bikes. I've got a couple of names, but there parents are most likely what we call "chav scum" types. I think the US equivalent is white trailer trash. I just don't know what to do... At my witts end guys.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kensai,

It would seem that your options to confront these people physically are very limited. Perhaps instead you could go to the root of the problem which is finding out who is doing it and having them apprehended. It may be somewhat costly but have you considered putting a surveliance camera high on the front of your house and recording any and all activity? If you can catch them on tape and provide that to the police it may allow them to prosecute them and discourage them from their destruction.

Another question, it is just your house or is it other houses as well? If there are a number of people experiencing this problem perhaps a neighborhood watch could be arranged and arm the watches with cameras or video recorders.

Good Luck and keep safe!

Rob

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Hey guys,

My partner and I live in a very dubious area in the UK called Wolverhampton. The place is a dump, with high levels of crime etc etc.

6 or 7 months ago we started having the local kids throwing rocks at our front windows, this went on for about a month or two, then we finally got some names of kids that we thought it may have been. The Police were informed, and for several months it stopped. On saturday, I came home to find our front wall smashed in (think large blocks - would have taken some doing) and the front window put through. As you can imagine, I was furious, but last night (Wednesday evening UK time) my partner and I were in the front room when BANG! another rock had been thrown at the window. It cost us £60 to get it replaced on saturday, fortunately, this time it didn't break.

This is starting to get us down. The Police have already said that if I "apprehend one of the suspected perpetrators, and lay a finger on them, then they'll be coming round to see me for assault".

Great. My partner's 6 months pregnant, and pretty highly strung as it is. We're trying to sell our house, so having to replace bits of it that are getting smashed is annoying as hell, plus, I just don't know what to do. I want to get in the car and chase them on their bikes. I've got a couple of names, but there parents are most likely what we call "chav scum" types. I think the US equivalent is white trailer trash. I just don't know what to do... At my witts end guys.

Sorry to hear about that. This problem is something that happens all over. As much as you'd like to go out and hand out some 'street justice' of your own, I'd have to say that it would probably not be in your best interest to do so. Continue to address the issue with the Police. It is their job to look into this and solve the problem. If you knew where the kids lived, giving that info to the Police so that they could speak to their parents may be an option.

Good luck with this issue.

Mike

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, not all of the UK is like this (a great deal though admittedly), although living standards here compared to many other developed countries isn't particularly good, we're hoping to emigrate over the next year or so.

It's just living the day to day thing, and being besieged by a bunch of young kids, with no protection from the law, and no recourse to defend your home. I'm just not sure how long I can go without responding physically bearing in mind that this has been going on on and off for maybe 6 or 7 months +. The law is so screwed up it's unreal. I had a copper last night telling me so, and also stating that the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) is actively trying to discourage cases from going to court, simply because the legal system cannot cope, and neither can the prisons. These kids are future prison fodder. Scum. Vermin. A parasite, them and their enormously bloated families are a waste of the human gene pool. Blame political correctness and weak willed politicians of the last 25 years. Oh, and a proliferation of lawyers becoming involved in government policy. The world's being run by accountants, lawyers and politicians. God help us.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Kensai, Sorry to hear about your problems. I may suggest that you were probably on the right track with the names you provided to the police in the first place. You mentioned the rocks being thrown did stop for a while after the police were informed. This suggests to me that these kids may have been warned by police & parents alike, then when things seemed to settle down the vandalizism got worse in retaliation. If possible, try to keep a video camera handy to catch the little ***** redhanded. Maybe threaten the authorities with publishing video of such acts and the laws lack of response. The parents may not want to see their child on tv breaking the law or in court. Is there a tv journalist investigation team or reporters who may help bring light to this crap? If so try to get them involved, those kids don't want to be caught on camera, then there is no dening it. This is most likely poor advice,( I am just venting here) but I am from a rough area near Washington DC as I grew up, and would try to verify at least one of these kids for sure, and take a sling shot and a marble to their homes windows. Their house-hold would at least be in the same situation of, cop didn't see it, I didn't do it attitude that these kids have. Not good advice I know, but makes me feel good inside thinking about it. Sorry if my input does not help, I understand exactly what you are dealing with, I grew up with little ***** like that near DC. Best of luck, and do your best to keep you partner safe and secure. You don't want this to escalate, my poor advice was just to allow you to laugh and vent at the situation. PEACE

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jimi said:
Hey Kensai, Sorry to hear about your problems. I may suggest that you were probably on the right track with the names you provided to the police in the first place. You mentioned the rocks being thrown did stop for a while after the police were informed. This suggests to me that these kids may have been warned by police & parents alike, then when things seemed to settle down the vandalizism got worse in retaliation. If possible, try to keep a video camera handy to catch the little ***** redhanded. Maybe threaten the authorities with publishing video of such acts and the laws lack of response. The parents may not want to see their child on tv breaking the law or in court. Is there a tv journalist investigation team or reporters who may help bring light to this crap? If so try to get them involved, those kids don't want to be caught on camera, then there is no dening it. This is most likely poor advice,( I am just venting here) but I am from a rough area near Washington DC as I grew up, and would try to verify at least one of these kids for sure, and take a sling shot and a marble to their homes windows. Their house-hold would at least be in the same situation of, cop didn't see it, I didn't do it attitude that these kids have. Not good advice I know, but makes me feel good inside thinking about it. Sorry if my input does not help, I understand exactly what you are dealing with, I grew up with little ***** like that near DC. Best of luck, and do your best to keep you partner safe and secure. You don't want this to escalate, my poor advice was just to allow you to laugh and vent at the situation. PEACE

Mate, if you were here now, I'd buy you a pint. Your post made me smile, and has cheered me up. Thank-you from across the pond. :asian:

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
hmmm,
Police didn't help, talking to thier parents did not help. Perhaps buying a bigger and/or tougher kid might help. Pay one of them everyweek that your house is not damaged (do not encourage him to thrash the other kids but a good offense is a good defense), and he has to help repair damage the weeks that there are some. You are moving so it can't go on forever. Perhaps start offering free lessons for children in the neiborhood, you can beat on them legally and constructivly and perhaps help them put their energy to better use.

In the mean time, try to keep your chin up, develope some humor about the situation and do not let it get you down. Do not let them see it getting to you. Your job is to provide a better life for your family and moving and raising your child in a better environment is a great goal. If your wife sees and feels you getting upset she (and your child) will also get upset. If she sees you laughing at 'those damn kid antics' she will see your strength and gather strength from thus. Every rock should be a motivator and a sign post that what you are doing (working hard to build a good and normal life) while very hard is the right thing to do and feels good while on the journey. It is happening for a reason and perhaps that reason is to motivate you for the move and temper you for the work that raising a family will be bringing.

Clean up the area, get rid of as much 'ammo' from around your house as possible.
Good luck

See you on the floor soon
Friends
Brian King

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Mate, if you were here now, I'd buy you a pint. Your post made me smile, and has cheered me up. Thank-you from across the pond. :asian:
I'll buy myself a pint and we can call it even. Best of luck and post any developments, maybe soon we can hear good news from your end about this crap coming to an end. Chin up in life, chin down in a fight. PEACE

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, sometimes it's so hard to see the wood for the trees that we need friends around to help us see the path. And on-line buddies are as good as any. Thanks again. :asian:

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Hey guys,

Kensai, I really feel for you and know where you're coming from. At the time this happened to me, I saw no other recourse but moving house. Things are better now, I only hope the same goes for yourself. A word of warning though - I took some steps of my own [let's say proactive, a little vindictive of me perhaps - well away from the house] and definitely felt better for exerting some form of recompense and either by accident or design I had no escalation as nobody knew who had done what to whom. *But* a friend from the same street had the front windscreen of her car smashed while she was driving past a gang of these neds. She saw red and chased one of them down and pinned him against a wall. Alas she wasn't so lucky. Not only did she get a 12mth conviction but she was absolutely hounded out of her house in the interim before the trial and she had to leave it unsold. I mean, where's the justice in this place I ask you?

Well, I won't dwell on the negative. I've heard many folk who say they won't be bullied out of their houses. Personally I think that's a dumb sentiment. We actually rented a place in the interim just to get out of there. Not a wonderfully neat solution but it is what it is. Besides the cops, the only possible advice I could give would be to get yourselves out as soon as you can.

It's of no consolation I know, but as I say, I really feel for you and wish you and your family good luck. Suffice to say, if I was anywhere near you I'd be happy to organize something.

Respects!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai

I am truly sorry to hear about your house and your current situation in your neighborhood, but since I do not know the laws in the UK I don't know what to tell you other than; if going after these kids will get you in trouble and possibly thrown in prison is it worth it based on the fact that 3 months from now your partner would have to bring the baby to visit you in jail?

I know it would have drove me made if I could not have held my daughter when she was born.

Sell the house as fast as possible and get out as soon as you can.

Deal with this through the police, it may do no good, it may be frustrating, but it appears to me it is all you have for now.

5 years from now it will hopefully all just be a memory and not a record that follows you everywhere.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
The Police have already said that if I "apprehend one of the suspected perpetrators, and lay a finger on them, then they'll be coming round to see me for assault".

Ignore the police, and seek legal advice. I know for a fact that every citizen in Australia has the power to arrest people for the following reasons;

1 - To prevent the continuance, comission or completion of a crime
2 - To ensure the appearance of an offender in court
3 - To preserve public order
4 - To preserve the safety of yourself, the public or the offender themselves

And it is perfectly legal to use reasonable and proportionate force in those instances. I believe you would find the situation in the UK to be similar, and the police are probably pissing in your pocket to cut down on potential work.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ya know...

Not that I would advocate this, but... If the cops are that hard up, and actually ignoring crime so it doesnt have to go to court, Id find myself an alibi or 6, that says I was someplace else, and break those kids up so hard retaliation is somthing they would fear to do... I mean, the cops don't CARE right? And even if they did, it wasnt you... you were somplace else with 6 witnesses that say you couldnt be the one who did it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What Xue Sheng said...

You have a pregnant partner, and the welfare of her, and the unborn baby, must be taken into consideration before taking direct action.

Get out of that area ASAP. While some may call it cowardly fleeing, I call it common sense and the best defense. As martial artists, we find ourselves often times quoting Pat Morita in "The Karate Kid" and saying "Best defense... no be there" or something similar.

Given the laws of your area, self-defense is out of the question, since that would result in you going to jail. You don't want that child being raised without your presence, I would imagine.

In the meantime, document everything, and install surveillance equipment. Give the tapes to the authorities, and if they don't do anything, then go over their heads to their superiors.

If all else fails, come on over to the USA in the Deep South. We've got several states that have approved of the "Castle Doctrine," and give plenty of leeway for self-defense. :) That, plus we have the best barbecued meats in the world.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm all for the camera idea. If you have a videocamera that will record on long play for eight to ten hours, I'd do that - easy to camouflage.

Over here we have something called Neighborhood Watch where the citizens take turns patrolling the street - it is a cooperative effort with local law enforcement. It works better if the citizens are trained and prepared and also registered as a group with the local police. Written reports can be submitted to the local police when problems arise. A pysical presence CAN BE a deterrent. These kids sound rather brave, though. I wonder if any of your neighbors ever see anything or if they're afraid of similar retaliation.

I imagine with the recurring damage that it's going to be extremely difficult to sell your place.

I remember when some citizens in L.A. caught a major serial rapist. Dude was beaten badly but, amazingly enough, no one who was involved in apprehending the guy and retaining him until the police arrived ever remembered anyone actually hitting him. Titillating, no? Not that I would advocate anything illegal either ....

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would definatley go the camera, camcorder route. I might even hire security services or a private investigator to get good video footage. I imagine that you could purchase unbreakable plastic windows and save yourself from replacing them in the future. I am not sure about domestic ones but when I worked in the professional protective services field we used these on a facility that needed unbreakable windows. They were very, very pricey though. Here are some links that may help that are a little more cost efficient:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/2/prweb339951.php
http://www.johnfries.com/newsreleases/newsrel_firstdefense.html
http://www.window-pros.info/
I imagine that their are similar services in the UK!

Good luck.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yet again guys, thanks for your ideas and support. I've just aquired names from one of the kids that lives in the street. Said he saw the group that had done it, and they pick on him, said it was "the least he could do". This kid was walking round with a book, and was bright and articulate. I figured, yeah, he gets bullied because he's bright. That's crap. I thanked him, and explained to him that the police were going to be involved, and that we'd try to get these kids, or their parents done. Watch this space.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
, no? Not that I would advocate anything illegal either ....

No, of couse not, neither one of us would EVER do that.

:rolleyes:

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, thought I'd give you guys an update. My neighbour who's lived in this area for 20-30 years or so, is somewhat hard, went and had a word with some of the families who's kids were doing this. Apparently our neighbour was saying they're all junkies. Their kids were riding round on their bikes on the streets at around 11-12 midnight. They're roughly 7-9 years of age... What's that about?

So far in the last few days, quiet. Very quiet. We'll see. Thanks for the support peeps.

Latest Discussions