Important: Most Store-bought Honey is NOT Honey!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought this was important enough to pass along here. Apparently, most honey tested in stores in the USA is ultra-processed to remove pollen, which means it cannot be tested to determine origin. It is assumed by experts in the field that honey which has had its background obscured is illegal Chinese or Indian honey with contaminants such as anti-biotics and heavy metal toxins. The FDA flat-out states that ultra-processed honey is not honey. It can be watered down or even replaced with sugar. All of the honey tested at local farmer's markets was in fact honey. I know we'll be buying all our honey at the farmer's market from local beekeepers in the future.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

Food Policy & Law
Tests Show Most Store Honey Isn't Honey
Ultra-filtering Removes Pollen, Hides Honey Origins
by Andrew Schneider | Nov 07, 2011

More than three-fourths of the honey sold in U.S. grocery stores isn't exactly what the bees produce, according to testing done exclusively for Food Safety News.

The results show that the pollen frequently has been filtered out of products labeled "honey."
The removal of these microscopic particles from deep within a flower would make the nectar flunk the quality standards set by most of the world's food safety agencies.

The food safety divisions of the World Health Organization, the European Commission and dozens of others also have ruled that without pollen there is no way to determine whether the honey came from legitimate and safe sources.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surprised to see Wegmans on the list. I suspect they'll make some changes shortly.

rainesr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I used to raise bees a child with my Grandfather, we used cheese cloth to filter out debris. I luckly have a friend in my area that gives me a giant jar of his honey every year, it is very tasty.

I am starting a hive next summer now that I have access to land.

~Rob

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Filtered is common. Ultra-filtered is not; it removes not just debris but pollen, which removes the ability to forensically determine where the honey comes from. It also costs a lot of money to do, which means that producers would not do it if they did not have a good reason to do so. They claim (according to the article) that they do it because consumers demand clear honey and also to increase shelf life.

However, the FDA states flat-out that ultra-filtered honey IS NOT HONEY. It does not meet the requirements, it is not honey, and it is illegal; but they do not test it. The article further states that ultra-filtered honey is injected with water and diluted with sugar; so it's not even foreign honey, it may not be honey at all, but sugar water. Furthermore, China has been caught importing honey into the USA via third-party nations after relabeling; ultra-filtering means we can't prove it is Chinese in origin because the pollen is gone; but Chinese and Indian honey may contain large amounts of antibiotics and heavy-metal toxins.

So bottom line; if it does not bother you to eat sugar water that may or may not have Chinese antibiotics and heavy-metal toxins in it, go for it. I don't care to eat that crap; I'll buy local honey from local beekeepers; there are plenty in Michigan.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I buy a product from Wegmans called "Really Raw Honey" from the health food section. "Hive to jar". Maybe not for everyone, but it is a great product.

"Really Raw Honey is a totally unprocessed whole food, that is never heated or strained, and contains all the pollen, propolis, vitamins, enzymes and trace minerals the bee's put into it. Creamy, smooth and spreadable, Really Raw Honey is more solid than liquid and each jar is capped with crunchy bits of honeycomb, pollen and propolis. Really Raw Honey is certified pesticide-free by an independent lab; the taste is utterly extraordinary!

We use goldenrod and aster nectar and our cold packing process to produce our creamy, crystalline texture and rich, full-bodied flavor. This fall the Aster plant bloomed in abundance, and the bees foraged enthusiastically. Aster causes the honey to crystallize firm and smooth. If you would like to soften your honey, place the jar in warm water or leave in a warm room - this will not cause any loss of enzymes or other healthful properties in the honey!

When you open the jar, you'll see the honey "cappings". Crunchy bits of honeycomb, pollen and propolis in hues of brown, gold and amber. These nutrient-rich Crown Jewels of Really Raw Honey can be chewed just like gum."

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder how many other products are like this?

IMO, it's an argument to shop local for as many products as you can. When the source of production is close, as in neighborly, there's much less incentive and ability to rip people off.

Hawaii has great honey, btw. We have so many different kinds of flowers, that often our local honey takes on some pretty exotic flavors.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Local honey *may* have an additional advantage; some say that eating honey produced by local bees may help to reduce allergic responses some have to local pollens and things floating around in the air. I can't say it's true, but there are some who believe this.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Local honey *may* have an additional advantage; some say that eating honey produced by local bees may help to reduce allergic responses some have to local pollens and things floating around in the air. I can't say it's true, but there are some who believe this.
I believe it's true. I wouldn't say it's dramatic, but my hayfever has improved considerably over the 20 years I've been eating local honey.

Thanks for the heads up. Great article. Alarming, but good to know!

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just like my milk, which I buy raw straight from a dairy farmer, I get my honey directly from an apiary and its entirely natural. One of the benefits of settling down in a rural area!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just like my milk, which I buy raw straight from a dairy farmer, I get my honey directly from an apiary and its entirely natural. One of the benefits of settling down in a rural area!

The difference being that one is legal and one is not. I'm not judging or saying that raw milk should or should not be legal; just noting that currently, it's against the law to buy or sell unpasteurized milk. I'd be careful saying that in public if I were you.

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The difference being that one is legal and one is not. I'm not judging or saying that raw milk should or should not be legal; just noting that currently, it's against the law to buy or sell unpasteurized milk. I'd be careful saying that in public if I were you.

Oh, no it's legit where I am currently situated. I didn't know it was illegal in some areas.

Of course, certain laws like that can sometimes be worked around by bartering as well... although I wouldn't recommend or advise trying to flout the law!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, no it's legit where I am currently situated. I didn't know it was illegal in some areas.

Of course, certain laws like that can sometimes be worked around by bartering as well... although I wouldn't recommend or advise trying to flout the law!

I should have specified; illegal in the USA for most purposes. I don't know your situation. I know there is a massive 'raw milk' movement and I'm not against people drinking raw milk; but I've read about people being busted. They're paying real fines and facing real jail time, so I thought I'd throw that warning out there.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/04/business/la-fi-milk-raid-20110804

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/feds-sting-amish-farmer-selling-raw-milk-locally/

Indagator

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's a good thing you mentioned that, as I'd hate to be responsible for somebody getting in any legal trouble!

Where I'm located at present it's not an issue - in fact the farm I buy the milk from (and the apiary as well) is a legitimate, taxpaying bona fide business. So not sure what the legality is elsewhere.

For those who have read my advice; consult your legal advisor first!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it isn't honey, is the government now going to mandate it be labeled "Honey flavored orangeish goo" or something?

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You mean ... there are still suckers in this world who think they're getting actual food? :uhyeah:

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am not surprised. This is what you get when you involve big money in food making and cut corners. Although I am not a big fan of honey I do keep a jar or two at home. I buy them from the beekeeper himself and if you keep it in the right conditions the real honey doesn't spoil. I recently read an artikle about a jar of honey found in an Egyptian tomb, it had lost some of its qualities but it was still edible, this can make you think :)