IMAF Schea site

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons

An answer has been given and Paul is happier, but I still contend that Paul will do what Paul's does and MAO will do What MAO does.

repjr :asian:

Tis true, tis tue, tis truely true. We are a nation of individuals, aren't we.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
:asian:

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by DoctorB

Well guys and girls, after all of the heat and smoke, I have to conclude that you folks have given yourselves the best example of why the proposed 2003 Symposium is a great idea. Talking face to face, clearing up impressions and getting good, factual and correct information or finding contacts to get the correct information. It happens best in face to face sessions. Add to that the opportunity to train with other instructors; to see the wide variety of Modern Arnis stylists who trained with Professor Presas and to have the best of both worlds. Segregating ourselves from one another and argueing over a "dead space" and a computer monitor is really unnecessary.

Since no one seems ready to acknowledge that are some very clear differences between various schools of thought regarding
Modern Arnis AND each of those schools of thought contain some
"truths" within the art, I am again suggestiong that you just might want to attend the upcming Gunting Knife Seminar with Master Bram Frank. Master Frank, will be one of the presenters at the 2003 Modern Arnis Symposium. Some of you have absolutely no knowledge about or experience with the Gunting Knife, so attending the seminar on the 29th, will give you a big step up on some of the people who will be attending next year.

I have been reviewing Guro Bram Frank's manuscript,
"Conceptual Modern Arnis", that is at Paldin Press, undergoing the final editing process for publication and I came across the following statement that I thought might be of interest to some of the people on this forum. The quote is taken from Chapter 19: "The truth in Using Sticks: steel hidden within".

"In Modern Arnis translation is everything. One needs to understand where Modern Arnis came from and where it's going. Modern Arnis embodies the conceptual core of Filipino fighting arts. The understanding of the conceptual usage of those arts is the goal of those that study the art. It is the art within the art. The soul of Filipino fighting is the blade. The soul of Modern Arnis is the blade as well. With that thought in mind I designed a Modern Arnis tactical folding knife made by SPYDERCO: The GUNTING. The GUNTING is the only tactical folder designed to do translations from empty hand all the way to cutting and it opens within the flow of usage. (It is) the ONLY kinetic opening knife in the world and it was designed to use the concepts of Modern Arnis."

Given this very strong statement by Guro Frank, I was wondering what others think of his contentions that that Filipino Martial Arts and Modern Arnis as one of those arts is Blade Oriented? I have read a number of posts by Guro Frank, in which he contends that some of the practices and training drills taught by the late Professor Presas, would be counter-productive to use, if a blade were being used by an opponent.

He has invited Modern Arnis instructors, particularly those of recent years to train with him and he would demonstrate how and why some of the training drills would result in injury, if not death if the student followed precisely the drill format as taught by Professor.

If he is correct, then some adjustments need to be made and the conceptualization process needs to be implimented by many Modern Arnis practictioners. There are certinaly going to be some people in Modern arnis who are in disagreement with Guro Frank's contentions. But ultimately the proof is in the application of the techniques, in real time training with and without the knife or a larger blade.

The GUNTING is a unique knife design and it is the ONLY kinetic opening folding knife on the market today. On Sunday, September 29, at the International Schools of Self Defense, 5901 South Transit Road, Lockport NY, between 2 & 5pm, Guro Frank will be teaching a seminar on the GUNTING KNIFE. The seminar fee is $55 in advance (before September 25) and $70 at the door. Write me for more information, if you are interested in attending.

Your comments and observations would be greatly appriciated.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions